Sign in with
Your question

Intel HD Graphics 3000 on 3 displays

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
September 10, 2011 4:46:39 PM

Hello,

Is there anyway to configure a Dell Latitude E6420 (Business class, its my work computer) with an Intel Core i5 to run 3 displays. Intel's site says it can't support it but some 3rd party hardware/software has been reported to work. Any suggestions? Just a remind its my works computer and not mine. They don't mind if I add things on or order hardware just can't trash the machine.

Thanks.
a c 253 U Graphics card
a c 130 å Intel
September 10, 2011 5:04:26 PM

The problem is that even if there was a 3rd party software solution you have to have a way to phisically connect the three monitors . I don't know what that would end up costing but if you did find it you shuold compare it to the purchase of an Ati video card with display ports . I don't know what your budget is but this is what you could get ; SAPPHIRE FleX 100312FLEX Radeon HD 6950 2GB 256-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 2.1 x16 HDCP Ready CrossFireX Support Video Card with Eyefinity

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168.... $279.99 with a $20 rebate.

I'm not saying that this is the card for you but I just put it there to show you what you could get to accomplish what you want to do.
m
l
September 13, 2011 4:06:40 PM

Thanks for the quick reply. The one, and I stress one, good thing about these small business Dell laptops is that they came with docking stations. Physically I can run the laptop monitor and two additional outputs, VGA or DVI. Just the hardware on the laptop seems like it can't. I'll just have to convince them to buy me a better workstation. They are trying to get me to perform database computations on a laptop to begin with so we'll see if I can convince them otherwise.

Thanks again for the advice,
-Jeff
m
l
Related resources
a c 158 U Graphics card
a b å Intel
September 13, 2011 4:44:03 PM

Most laptop video cards will only output to 2 monitors, either the screen + 1 more, or 2 externals.

Try this http://www.matrox.com/graphics/en/products/gxm/th2go/
Matrox makes a Dual head to go and a Triple head to go product.

They are not the fastest or fanciest video cards around, but Matrox company is a master at multi-display setups. It's pretty much their strongest selling point.
m
l
September 16, 2011 7:08:48 PM

I have the same issue. The docking station has a VGA, DVI, and DisplayPort, and I have a monitor connected to each. The Intel drivers see all three, but I can't use more than two at a time. Bummer. I'd still like to use the third monitor though. Not for gaming or anything of the sort though. What are your feelings on the USB to VGA adapters out there? Would that allow me to use the 3rd?

thanks,
Rich
m
l
a c 158 U Graphics card
a b å Intel
September 16, 2011 9:56:21 PM

USB to VGA adapter will get you a 3rd output, but those run pretty slow, do work though.
m
l
!