Sign in with
Your question
Solved

Problem with computer i just assembled

Last response: in Motherboards
a b à CPUs
December 12, 2012 3:20:44 AM

everything works on the board , fans , cpu cooler and lights showing cpu getting power and fan spins on video card , but monitor says no signal ? What could be the problem , video card , monitor , monitor cable ? I checked all connections re seated card . What else can cause it to do this ?
a c 557 V Motherboard
a b U Graphics card
a b C Monitor
a c 113 à CPUs
December 12, 2012 4:23:11 AM

Hi, What components (CPU, motherboard, memory, graphics card)? How do you connect the monitor (VGA to VGA, using adapters....)?
m
l
December 12, 2012 4:47:03 AM

Make sure you have properly placed the RAM and also make sure that BIOS is upgraded ( IF NEEDED)
m
l
Related resources
a b V Motherboard
a b U Graphics card
a c 79 à CPUs
December 12, 2012 5:02:07 AM

remove the graphic card and then plug the monitor into the mobo's monitor socket and see if the monitor lights up. if it does, get into BIOS and go to the VGA option and make sure you do not have your IGD set as the primary VGA device.

i am assuming this is an Intel Build.
second alex on his comment...we need your config please :) 

-satyam
m
l
a b V Motherboard
a c 106 U Graphics card
a b C Monitor
a b à CPUs
December 12, 2012 5:04:31 AM

list of parts would help
m
l
a b à CPUs
December 12, 2012 1:15:44 PM

msi 970a g46 , AMD 1090 cpu , 8 gb gskill sniper ram in slot 2-4 vid card is a amd 4550 not sure the brand , psu ultra x-3 600 watt , psu tested ans all working . tried using VGA and DVI connections , still get no signal on monitor then goes blank
m
l
a c 557 V Motherboard
a b U Graphics card
a b C Monitor
a c 113 à CPUs
December 12, 2012 1:58:39 PM

Try starting with only one RAM stick installed. Make sure it is properly inserted. Can you connect a case speaker to the motherboard?
m
l
a b à CPUs
December 12, 2012 2:20:20 PM

I think there is a case speaker , I'll try to hook it up , hope it works . So 1 stick of ram in slot 2 . I'll give it a try .
m
l
a c 557 V Motherboard
a b U Graphics card
a b C Monitor
a c 113 à CPUs
December 12, 2012 2:27:02 PM

If no beeps, start the board with only CPU and CPU fan installed, and see if you get the error beeps signaling that no RAMs are installed.
m
l
a b V Motherboard
a b U Graphics card
a b à CPUs
December 12, 2012 2:41:41 PM

A big step some builders skip is what I call the smoke test. I keep a VGA 14 inch monitor on hand for it. Assemble the MB, CPU, CPU chiller, memory and video card on a non conductive surface. Power the system without a hard drive and see if it posts to bios.

If you can get to bios all components are working properly, or if not, you have ready access to make changes without disassembling a case.

I agree that post beeps are helpful if no diagnostic readout is available on the MB.
m
l
a b à CPUs
December 12, 2012 4:22:48 PM

Case speaker does not work , or header is no good . Tried starting with 1 stick or ram , no ram same no change . Only lights on MB are for cpu power 1 phase to 4 phase , all 4 led are lit . Other than that all fans , usb ports , keyboard all light up just do nothing .
Would hooking up speaker to the audio outputs give me speakers if no os is loaded / trying to figure how to get sound so i can hear beep code
m
l
a c 557 V Motherboard
a b U Graphics card
a b C Monitor
a c 113 à CPUs
December 12, 2012 4:33:38 PM

Are the 24 and 8-pin power cables properly connected?
m
l
a b à CPUs
December 12, 2012 5:20:38 PM

YES , board says cpu getting 4 phase power . All connections were taken out and plugged in again , no difference . Do you think I should just return the board and get an Asus with built in video ?
m
l
a c 557 V Motherboard
a b U Graphics card
a b C Monitor
a c 113 à CPUs
December 12, 2012 5:40:27 PM

It might be a board issue. If you've tried the board outside the case and still the same... Have you selected an ASUS board ?
m
l

Best solution

December 12, 2012 5:57:39 PM

You do have the small speaker connected to the mobo, but no beeps? I suspect the processor is the problem.
a b à CPUs
December 12, 2012 6:18:20 PM

CPU came out of my other computer , worked fine . Odered Asus m5-88-v evo , hope it works . Will keep playing with the msi until the asus arrives
m
l
December 12, 2012 6:25:33 PM

One symptom of a dead cpu is no hard drive activity. Does the hard drive led on the front of the case blink at startup? Or at any time?
m
l
a b à CPUs
December 12, 2012 7:43:26 PM

spankmon said:
One symptom of a dead cpu is no hard drive activity. Does the hard drive led on the front of the case blink at startup? Or at any time?

Yes hard drive light blinks , so does dvd and keyboard then they all go dead
m
l
a b à CPUs
December 12, 2012 7:57:04 PM

Just bent 10 pins on the 1090t , is a fx 6300 as good as the 1090 or is it a downgrade ?
m
l
a b V Motherboard
a c 106 U Graphics card
a b C Monitor
a b à CPUs
December 12, 2012 8:25:03 PM

It would be similar, possibly slightly better, or worse depending on very different individual situations.
m
l
a b à CPUs
December 13, 2012 12:19:12 PM

Must have been a bent pin from the beginning , thought the cpu was sitting strangely , fixed the pins inserted cpu , it fit perfectly , everything booted up . Thanks guys , now works , good old 1090 clocked at 3.9 running well . will try for 4.3 later today
m
l
a b à CPUs
December 13, 2012 12:19:37 PM

Best answer selected by jerry6.
m
l
December 13, 2012 4:54:23 PM

Last year I killed a Phenom cpu, but couldn't figure out the problem until after replacing all the other components. It must have died when I pulled the video card out... everything was unplugged, but I didn't discharge the residual current in the mobo first by holding in the power button for a few seconds.

Glad to hear you got your thing working.
m
l
a b à CPUs
December 13, 2012 11:50:54 PM

spankmon said:
Last year I killed a Phenom cpu, but couldn't figure out the problem until after replacing all the other components. It must have died when I pulled the video card out... everything was unplugged, but I didn't discharge the residual current in the mobo first by holding in the power button for a few seconds.

Glad to hear you got your thing working.

Thanks , I never give up , took a break then back to work . Took a wile to straigten all those pins , some were bent bad , made an X ith pin next to t .
Here is a screenshot of the break in
m
l
!