Sign in with
Your question
Closed

Lack of Mesh Ventilation on Rear of Most Cases?

Tags:
  • Power Supplies
  • Cases
  • Mesh
  • Components
Last response: in Components
February 8, 2012 12:36:56 PM

I have been doing a lot of research and thinking about how to set up my case for my new build. I am finding that most case makers do not install mesh along side the PCI slots on the rear of their cases.

An example of what I want to do may explain what I mean. I like the CM Storm Trooper a lot (new window version). I will use the new Silverstone Temjin TJ04-e to compare to explain my situation. I would set up the TJ04-e in the same way. I want to install a Corsair H100 on the top intaking air into the case. I would put an intake fan on the bottom intaking air up from the bottom. I would modify this so I could reinstall the SSD cage on the Trooper. I would install both HDD cages so the fans exhaust to the side out of the case so they will not be operating to cool the case (only the HDDs) since I expect to use all 8 HDD slots. I will have a 140mm fan exhausing out the back. I may have to attach a fan to the inside of the HDD cages to help push air through the inside and then out the the back of the case. I would likely have to do this on both cases. There would be ample positive pressure on both cases so air will always be exhausting wherever there is no intake fan.

The major concern I have is there is no mesh venting along side the PCI slots in the rear of the case to aid in exhausting hot air out the back to cool GPUs etc. This is also a concern I have in all the other cases I am interested in (Corsair 600T, Corsair 650D etc.).

As I noted above, I plan to use the Corsair H100 in intake mode on the top. All other cooling will be air. I would appreciate any comments about where my concerns may be valid, where my concerns may not be as significant as I am making them, or any other area where I may be off the mark. I have never built a system before, so all of this is from researching the net, reading and thinking on my own about how air moves inside a case.

More about : lack mesh ventilation rear cases

February 8, 2012 12:47:37 PM

Hey, i like your attention to detail and that you asked your question already prepared.

Do you mean the vent on the side panel opposite the GPU?
Score
February 8, 2012 1:04:03 PM

silverliquicity said:
Hey, i like your attention to detail and that you asked your question already prepared.

Do you mean the vent on the side panel opposite the GPU?

I mean the area in the rear of the case along side the PCI slots just above where the PSU would vent. The Trooper has something in that place where I understand one can wind a cable into (something I wouldn;t need). I would want a window in the side opposite the GPU.
Score
Related resources
Can't find your answer ? Ask !
February 8, 2012 1:04:09 PM

I want to install a Corsair H100 on the top intaking air into the case.

Im sorry, you lost me here...... Very basic Thermodynamics dictate that heat rises, why on earth would you put an intake fan on the top of the case, and why would you have intake coming in via a radiator.

The ideal situation os a top mounted push push based h100, this give maximum exposure without having heat passing out and through the large facia of the radiator, though alot of people find that push push based take alot of internal room and go for the push pull setup.

Bare in mind not much heat actually comes from other parts of the build and therefor you are left with the GFX being the only real heat source. 1 large 200mm fan or multiple 120's on the sidepanel combined with a bottom based front equivelent would give full coverage of flowing air to the gpu.

Obviously the air needs to be free of cables and allowed to flow.

The ideal situation for the PSU is for it to have an open and sectioned intake fan, this works well on the bottom.

In summary, if you were to picture a taller corsair 600t with the mesh on the side, in my opinion it would be perfect. (tall enough to fit a second 120mm fan on the back and thus enough room for a push push h100 setup.
Score

Best solution

a b ) Power supply
February 9, 2012 9:12:49 AM

The GPU that you choose is bound to have a Rear Intake grill or exhaust grill where the PCI Slots fit in. To be able to mount the card, as usual, you'll need to remove the grill or plate that is put into those slots to keep them covered.
Don't put such a lot of thought into it, they are designed for optimal heat dissipation.
All the cases that you see already come with prefit plates or grills in those extension slots at the back, they are supposed to be removed when you put your GPU in.

I can agree that the H100 ought to be mounted on the top to exhaust air through the rad, yeah , I know the ambient temps of the air already coming through the top are a little more/higher than the air around due to the rising heat in the case, but, it's a difference of about 1 or 2 degrees, nothing to worry about.
If you have a rear exhaust put up, then the air that's going to rise through the H100 Rad is going to be a lot cooler.... A big front intake, a good bottom intake, 2 top exhausts and one rear exhaust.... I leave the side panel fans to work it out yourself....

February 12, 2012 4:55:29 PM

I appreciate all of the good informational input. After you comments I may get the Silverstone Temjin TJ04-e and exhaust up with the H100 using 2 side intake 120s in the front side, a 120mm intake in the bottom and a 120mm exhaust out the back. One of the things that got me thinking intake from above was the info. on Silverstone's website describing positive pressure in the case. It showed a flash diagram of top intake with rear exhaust being better than both top exhaust and rear exhaust (keeps a heat pocket from forming between the two).
Score
February 16, 2012 12:02:28 PM

I emailed Silverstone about their Temjin TJ04-e. I received a within 24-hour response. Basically the response was that the case was designed for positive air pressure. The response also said the H80 (to my desire for the H80) would be an excellent choice. Basically the idea I got was that the top and rear should intake/exhaust oppositely for the case to work like designed.

Since it appears I may not get an Ivy Bridge i7 3770k until no earlier than July (see rumors) then I have a long time to evaluate (too long-I am going nuts here).
Score
a b ) Power supply
February 16, 2012 1:50:19 PM

Did you mean this?
Score
February 19, 2012 11:53:33 AM

Best answer selected by 4thSilver.
Score
February 23, 2012 12:09:04 PM

alyoshka said:
Did you mean this?

Yes.
Score
February 23, 2012 2:22:58 PM

It appears to me that the main thing in a case is to have more air intake than exhaust to eliminate dust and to cool efficiently. The Temjin TJ04-e appears to be specifically designed to intake at the top and exhaust out the rear. The rear mesh appears to be part of this design. I am also interested in the CM Storm Trooper (with the window) and intake from the top and exhaust out the back like with the Temjin TJ04-e. Not sure if that will work as well since the CM Storm Trooper doesn't have mesh along the PCI slots though it does have meshed PCI slots (I would likely use 4 of the 9 leaving some mesh to exhaust).
Score
a b ) Power supply
February 23, 2012 6:06:31 PM

This topic has been closed by Mousemonkey
Score
!