Solved

Time for a new build, what should I get?

I'm replacing my 5 year old Dell containing a Pentium D 3.4 GHz with a new computer that I will put together myself. I was wondering if I should go ahead and go with the 2500K or wait for the 3930K. I will be using it mostly for gaming. I also plan on getting an eyefinity 3 setup. Should I save money by going with the 2500K and then upgrade again in 2-3 years? Or should I go with the 3930K which will have PCI-e 3.0 and a three gpu setup along with 16GB of quad-channel memory and have that last for 5-6 years? Please support your opinion with reasons for me choosing one over the other. Thanks ahead of time for any help! :)
7 answers Last reply Best Answer
More about time build
  1. Best answer
    i5-2500k and you won't need to upgrade in 3years or more!

The 3930k will be one expensive CPU. Not the best bang for buck. Ivy Bridge would be a better wait than that. The max you need for gaming right now is 8gb. Also, 3GPU setup is the worst.
  2. Deffinetly stick with the 2500k, 8GB is great for gaming right now anymore than that would just be a waste. System should last 2-3 years I would use just one GPU for now and then upgrade to SLI/XF and then into 3 way if possible
  3. cutebeans said:
    i5-2500k and you won't need to upgrade in 3years or more!

The 3930k will be one expensive CPU. Not the best bang for buck. Ivy Bridge would be a better wait than that. The max you need for gaming right now is 8gb. Also, 3GPU setup is the worst.

I meant two gpu's. xD So what should I do with the money I save by getting the 8gb and the 2500K? Here is my list of things to get so far: http://secure.newegg.com/WishList/PublicWishDetail.aspx?WishListNumber=16049572
  4. Up the GPU as always most of us would say, you dont have a gpu in your list. Two 560 Ti's would be good if you can afford it how much are you willing to spend?
  5. Get a single GTX 570, it's pretty good.
  6. Emelth said:
    Up the GPU as always most of us would say, you dont have a gpu in your list. Two 560 Ti's would be good if you can afford it how much are you willing to spend?

Something I also forgot to mention. xD When it comes out, I'm planning on buying a 7950 or 7970. I can crossfire it once I get enough money for another one. Until then, I can use the integrated graphics or take the 6770 out of my old machine and put it in the new one for a while.
  7. Best answer selected by thebigbug.
Ask a new question

Read More

New Build New Build Systems