Sign in with
Your question

Sony VAIO keeps shutting down, maybe CPU problems?

Last response: in CPUs
February 8, 2012 1:30:49 PM

Hello all:

I am really hoping that you guys can help me with this problem that my grilfriend's Sony VAIO is having. I will try and be a specific as I can be describe. I am looking for any software that can diagnose the problem. so here goes.

The model of the laptop is VGN-NW270D. The problem is that it shuts down randomly it seems. The first time after the computer being off for a while, it shuts down after between 0.5-1 hours being on. If it is turned back on, the time seems to decrease pretty quickly, like minutes after coming on. If it is left off for a good while and turned back in, it seems to repeat.

Some stuff I have tried was booting into a Linux live disc, and the problem still happened, so I don't know if it is some kind of virus. Looking around online, some people talking about those same symptoms and it being a problem with the voltage regulator. I have also opened the thing up and there doesn't seem to be any dust at all. Everything looks pretty clean.

So does anyone know what could be going on? Is there any software I could run during that first hour or so it can stay on? I am pretty good with electronics and computer, but I am at a loss. Anything would be greatly appreciated and if there is anything else you might need to know, please don't hesitate to ask. I have pictures upload to my public Dropbox, if anyone wants to take a look I will post the URLs. Thanks!

Thanks!
a c 203 à CPUs
February 8, 2012 1:36:43 PM

Have you been testing on battery or AC power? What's the battery state when it shuts down?
Have you been monitoring the system temps?
m
l
February 8, 2012 1:43:09 PM

Wow, that was fast!

It seems to shut down either on AC or battery power. The battery is fairly new, but I would be open to suggestions for software to test the battery. Just using the windows 7 icon in the systray, the battery isn't even half dead.

As for the temperature monitoring, I have no done that. I only noticed that the thing doesn't really get hot at all. When it shuts down it is still relatively cool. What is the best software for testing the temperatures just to be sure?

Thanks!
m
l
Related resources
February 8, 2012 1:48:53 PM

This sounds like a classic case of overheating. Make sure it's on a flat surface, and the vents aren't being obstructed. Try to blow out the exhaust with air (From the intake side, which is usually the bottom of the laptop). Then you can do it from the exhaust side. (use a can of air for this) Also make sure the fan is working. Hope this helps.
m
l
a c 203 à CPUs
February 8, 2012 1:52:30 PM

How about testing with the battery detached and running only on AC power.
That will help eliminate one possible variable.

For checking the battery - try Battery Care: http://batterycare.net/en/index.html
m
l
a c 106 à CPUs
February 8, 2012 2:04:16 PM

I would run prime95 or occt when on batteries to get it running as hot as possible, if stable, start looking at the power brick and onboard voltage circuitry.
m
l
February 9, 2012 2:13:46 AM

Thanks for all the replies everyone. I can't do any of those tests cause it won't stay on long enough for me to get into Windows. Just shuts off. This happens on both AC power and just the battery. Looks like it isn't worth very much now. Haha.
m
l
a b à CPUs
February 9, 2012 2:23:00 AM

i remember a vaio tower i had, in the bios it had a setting to change when it restarted when the cpu hit a certain temp (by default 60C)... if you can get into the settings you may be able to get at this setting :p 
m
l
February 10, 2012 2:39:12 AM

Yeah...I think I will try that. I might just stick it all back together and bring it to a professional. Haha.
m
l
a b à CPUs
February 10, 2012 5:38:10 PM

i remember on that tower, pokerstars was enough to get it to restart :p 
and it was an intel bios, so my previous post may be the awnser
m
l
February 11, 2012 2:52:45 PM

So i went into the bios and there was nothing there list you said. I decided to take it apart again and I did notice something: The part where the heat sink is over the chip, the thermal paste is really hard, like not even a paste anymore. could it be that the sink just isn't absorbing the heat from the cpu?
m
l
March 30, 2012 4:52:13 PM

There is nothing in Bios for the setting the temperature. same problem here in my vaio from almost 5 days. I tried to format it but i got stuck in it. Neither it completes restore nor it boot from Recovery Disk. Really seems to be a serious problem. lol
m
l
April 11, 2012 7:00:37 AM

cdanderson04 said:
So i went into the bios and there was nothing there list you said. I decided to take it apart again and I did notice something: The part where the heat sink is over the chip, the thermal paste is really hard, like not even a paste anymore. could it be that the sink just isn't absorbing the heat from the cpu?

Hi I was wondering if you managed to find the source of the problem? I have a Sony vaio vgn nw11 and which was fine up until yesterday when it went on the blink. Keeps powering off, then restarting all hardware seems to be nice and tight I.e hdd and ram. Some times I get to load windows sometimes not very frustrating... Any advice?

m
l
April 21, 2013 2:22:47 AM

Ola7mat said:
cdanderson04 said:

Hi I was wondering if you managed to find the source of the problem? I have a Sony vaio vgn nw11 and which was fine up until yesterday when it went on the blink. Keeps powering off, then restarting all hardware seems to be nice and tight I.e hdd and ram. Some times I get to load windows sometimes not very frustrating... Any advice?

Hi,

I'm really not very technical - but would really appreaciate an answer to this problem - as I am having the same problem with my sony Lap top VAIO VGN-CS11Z

m
l
April 24, 2013 8:44:46 PM

i had a similar problem with this specific model it would shut down ever 5-10 minutes temperatures were good after hours of not finding an answer i decided to open that bad boy.

here i what i found cpu termal paste was solid like rock.
i guess this is the video chip i am not sure but same the termal paste was bad.
so replace the thermal paste hook up every cable and notice the fan was not working so i decided to give a jump start with my fingers and now the fan workes great ..... and now the computer is fully working has not turn off is being about 5 hours so i hope i continue to get lucky
m
l
May 3, 2013 9:39:59 AM

Hi there,
exactly same problems here with gf's laptop (VGN-NS31M). Sometimes it takes hours, then after few restarts the period keeps shortening into one minute - after power on it just turns off, either when I'm in BIOS (i.e. not booting any OS). Will try to open it and replace thermal paste, but I'm not sure it will really help. Btw. of course the first thing I made was dust off, not helped at all. Any solution would be really appreciated.
m
l
October 11, 2013 12:27:33 PM

I think I've found a solution to my vaio... The fan was failing 4 weeks after buying it but I ignored it (it was still rotating but not at 100% and doing weird noises) and vaio just was occassionally clocking down due to overheating. Unfortunatelly after 2 years and 1 month it failed completely and my VAIO was shutting down in similar fashion - after 10 minutes on first run, after 1 minute on next boots in short period of time (even though heat pipes were cool and temps low - maybe some bios safety trigger?). First thing I tried was hitting F10 before windows loading screen and adding " /ONECPU" without " in the line of additional commands. This helped a bit and let me run it for some longer period of time than 1 minute but was shutting itself down after 30min-2h.

I disassembled it to pieces (it's 1 month after warranty :p  ) and put big fans on it, unfortunatelly it could run only on power saving mode customized to use max 10% of cpu resources (core i7 2.7ghz being stuck at 800mhz). So it was one of solution but it was not too satisfying. The weird thing is previously it could go as high as 94*C and now it was shutting down at ~40-50*C...

Next thing I tried was new thermal paste but still with no luck on putting it to high clock.

The last thing was to take out its fan and to spray WD-40 on it (an oily substance) and it was again running perfectly and I currently am running just fine at 2.2Ghz static clock. Not yet testing full high performance with 2.7ghz clock and turbo boost going up to 3.4Ghz and did not run any cpu intensive program just aggresively web browsing.

So I think either temperatures go very high in some place of cpu or AMD gpu but the temp reading is off OR bios has some enforced safety limit set trigger at lower temps when fan is not rotating as it should.

Alternatively buying new fan will most likely fix it, if not using new thermal paste as an additional solution.

Hope it helps. :) 

Mr_KrzYch00
m
l
December 23, 2013 4:54:16 AM

Make sure you have got it on a hard surface (table/piece of wood). If not the fans will melt.
m
l
!