ObsidianII

Distinguished
Jan 23, 2001
I was wondering if anyone could possibly help me with a problem I've been having. I currently have an Athlon 1 Ghz on an Asus K7V motherboard with the onboard AC97 audio. I tried to put in my own sound card (Diamond Monster Sound MX 300). I went into bios to disable the onboard sound before installing the Monster. When the Monster Sound is in, things will work fine for a while, however when I try to run something using DirectSound (a game for example, or Winamp) my system will freeze. Sometimes the programs will run for a while before freezing, sometimes they will freeze when they are loading. If I remove the Monster Sound and use the onboard AC97 everything runs fine but the onboard sound only has 1 speaker output and the sound quality leaves much to be desired. Does anyone know what could be causing this? There are no hardware conflicts reported when I check. Thanks for the help in advance.
System specs in case they are needed are as follows:
Athlon 1 Ghz
Asus K7V motherboard
Asus V7700 Pure 64 MB video
Diamond Monster Sound MX 300 sound
IBM DTLA 40 GB ATA/100
512 MB pc133 sdram (2*256)

<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by ObsidianII on 01/22/01 11:05 PM.</EM></FONT></P>

G

There may be a setting, either jumper or dipswitch on the board you have missed, either that or its in your bios

G

I am having the exact same problem with my new computer. Games only work when my MX300 sound card is disabled. I tried turning off the onboard sound card from the BIOS but that didn't help.

Here is my system:
ASUS A7V Motherboard
AMD T-BIRD 1000G
133mhz 256MB ram
Maxtor 30GB Ultra 100
ATI AGP Radeon 32mb DDR
Diamond Monster Sound MX300 sound card