Sign in with
Your question
Solved

RAM issues? but tests say otherwise...

Last response: in Memory
December 12, 2012 4:27:20 AM

Hello,

I decided to grab some RAM while it was on sale to upgrade my computer (from 8 GB to 16 GB). After installing the RAM, my computer becomes unstable at times and eventually goes to the BSOD or just freezes. I did the Windows memory diagnostic a couple of times and it came back clean. I used memtest86+ last night and it came back clean. (I don't remember if it went for more than one pass or not. I ran it for more than 3 hours.)

The RAM I bought is the same brand and model as what I have been using since I built my PC earlier this year. I have tried pulling out the original RAM and directly replacing it with the new RAM and still have problems (to me, that says it isn't a mobo issue as far as the actual slots are concerned).

All I know is that when I put the new RAM in, my computer is unstable. When I take it out, everything returns to normal. I have changed the settings in my BIOS for this RAM in the past (meaning I changed the profile to XMB and made sure it was 1866 and the timings were correct--that represents my entire knowledge on RAM BIOS settings).

I'm going to run memtest86+ again tonight and make sure it does multiple passes, but I wanted to see if I could get some advice from you guys. I would hate to go through the RMA process if the RAM somehow isn't actually the problem.

I am more than willing to elaborate if needed. Thanks in advance!

My system:
-Intel Core i5-2500K (not OC'd yet)
-GIGABYTE GA-Z68X-UD3H-B3
-G.SKILL Sniper Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1866 (PC3 14900) Model F3-14900CL9D-8GBSR
-XFX Radeon HD 6870
-Kingston HyperX 120GB SSD
-Western Digital Blue 1TB HDD
-CORSAIR HX650 650W
-Windows 7 Enterprise 64-bit

More about : ram issues tests

Best solution

a b } Memory
December 12, 2012 7:39:42 AM

Hi, I would firstly clear the CMOS (unplug the power cord and remove the CMOS battery for few minutes), install all modules in pairs and test at default settings
December 12, 2012 9:53:10 PM

Thanks for your reply alexoiu.

I ran the memtest86+ last night and this time it did come up with some errors. So it seems to me the RAM is the problem.
m
l
December 12, 2012 10:00:28 PM

Best answer selected by PlayerTw0.
m
l
!