GIGABYTE GA-Z77X-UP5 TH motherboard question

hello everybody, :hello: , I will be purchasing the GIGABYTE GA-Z77X-UP5 TH motherboard and I heard that the thunderbolt ports are not hot swappable. Is this true? I heard that all windows operating systems do not support this feature, but i heard that asus successfully did it on their asus p8z77-v premium motherboard. so is it hot swappable, and can it be fixed with a bios update?

thanks everybody :pt1cable:

all suggestions are welcome
21 answers Last reply
More about gigabyte z77x motherboard question
  1. I am not sure what you mean by hot swappable. And if it is not supported, than it is most likely a driver or program issue. you most likely would need to download a 3rd party program that provides support for the use of the ports. I do not have that much experience with thunderbolt ports.
  2. musicmanil said:
    I am not sure what you mean by hot swappable. And if it is not supported, than it is most likely a driver or program issue. you most likely would need to download a 3rd party program that provides support for the use of the ports. I do not have that much experience with thunderbolt ports.

Hot swappable means that you could remove or plug in a device without rebooting the computer. Mac computers support this, but windows needs special bios support. Asus was able to provide this update, but I don't know what gigabyte will do. :??:
  3. I am not entirely sure about Apples thunderport connections, but it would seem that they should be hot swapable. To me, the thunderport connection is Apple's version of USB 3.0. I would think that they would have to be hot swapable otherwise it would be pointless to have.
    I dont know if I have helped you at all, but you could also try calling newegg support or ASUS support and ask them that question and they might be able to answer it better than I am.

Best of luck
  4. musicmanil said:
    I am not entirely sure about Apples thunderport connections, but it would seem that they should be hot swapable. To me, the thunderport connection is Apple's version of USB 3.0. I would think that they would have to be hot swapable otherwise it would be pointless to have.
    I dont know if I have helped you at all, but you could also try calling newegg support or ASUS support and ask them that question and they might be able to answer it better than I am.

Best of luck

Thank you my good man, and if you know anybody else, please refer them to this thread because well I kind of need an answer.

Thanks anyway :pt1cable:
  5. I couldn't find gigabytes email. I would love to contact them, would anybody know it?
  6. services@gigabyteusa.com
  7. And it seems that the ports are not hot-swappable, but I believe that can be fixed with a bios update, so don't worry about it.

Edit: Forgot to mention, I have the mobo. It's great, piece of art really. Will get you some crazy stable overclocks and has monster features.
  8. vance09 said:
    services@gigabyteusa.com

I tried looking for it for hours, THANK YOU
  9. vance09 said:
    And it seems that the ports are not hot-swappable, but I believe that can be fixed with a bios update, so don't worry about it.

Edit: Forgot to mention, I have the mobo. It's great, piece of art really. Will get you some crazy stable overclocks and has monster features.

Is there any way you can confirm this by updating your motherboard and trying it?
  10. Anonymous said:
    Is there any way you can confirm this by updating your motherboard and trying it?

I currently do not have any thunderbolt accessories, so I'm afraid I can't test it to make sure, sorry :(. It definitely looks like a software issue, so I would email Gigabyte and ask them.
  11. vance09 said:
    I currently do not have any thunderbolt accessories, so I'm afraid I can't test it to make sure, sorry :(. It definitely looks like a software issue, so I would email Gigabyte and ask them.

I have emailed them, now it is only a matter of time......

I also think it is kind of weird on how much they based their product on thunderbolt, and you don't seem to use it :pt1cable: Haha
  12. Anonymous said:
    I have emailed them, now it is only a matter of time......

I also think it is kind of weird on how much they based their product on thunderbolt, and you don't seem to use it :pt1cable: Haha

It's probably because thunderbolt is a newer product, and it's gonna take some time for it to kick off. When it does, there'll be an update, assuming its a software issue like I think it is, I assure you.
  13. vance09 said:
    It's probably because thunderbolt is a newer product, and it's gonna take some time for it to kick off. When it does, there'll be an update, assuming its a software issue like I think it is, I assure you.

I understand
  14. Anonymous said:
    I understand

That's good. Anyway, if hot swapping thunderbolt is really important for you, just go with the Asus. It's a fine mobo on its own as well.
  15. vance09 said:
    That's good. Anyway, if hot swapping thunderbolt is really important for you, just go with the Asus. It's a fine mobo on its own as well.

I can't really afford that motherboard. Hot swapping is not important, but I might forget in a year and freeze my computer or damage it. I was also looking at the ASRock Z77 Extreme6/TB4. Any ideas?
  16. I personally would still go with the UP5 TH, as most thunderbolt electronics are things you would leave in the computer. You don't have thunderbolt flash drives quite yet, lol
  17. vance09 said:

I just checked out the article, they seem to like it, but they also bashed on it quite a bit.
  18. Anonymous said:
    I just checked out the article, they seem to like it, but they also bashed on it quite a bit.

It got the Reccomended Buy. That says a lot. All the other mobos were bashed as well, each mobo has pros and cons.
  19. I just called gigabyte and they said that it is hot swappable. He said it acts kind of like FireWire.
  20. That's great!
Ask a new question

Read More

Motherboards Gigabyte