Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

Homebuilt system, connectivity problem 1st hour

Tags:
  • Homebuilt
  • Systems
Last response: in Systems
Share
November 8, 2011 5:39:47 AM

Hello, this is my first post here and I'm from Sweden but we'll see how it goes.

So, the reason I ask here is because I don't get any response at a large swedish overclocking forum. Anyways, here's my problem:

I recently bought a computer in parts and built it together. There's nothing wrong with it other than this little thing..
The first hour of everytime I boot the computer, the internet goes down for one or two seconds. This is completely random and happens often the first hour of every boot.
For example: I boot it, start firefox, browse the web for a bit, sign in to battlelog, open teamspeak, start to chat and then play a bit of Battlefield 3. And then at some point during gaming, I get disconnected and reconnected just as quick. But I do get thrown out of the game and I can't hear anything from my friends on Teamspeak.

It can also happen if I'm not playing and have like, teamspeak and mIRC + firefox open..

I have no idea what this can be, as it is completely random timewise... And it only happens once every boot so to speak. So after the disconnect I have the computer up and running for hours without problems.

Specifications:
FSP 650W 80+ GOLD
Gigabyte 990FXA-UD3
Phenom 965 BE
Corsair valueram 4g 1333mhz
Samsung spinpoint 500gb something...
Asus GTX570 DirectCUII

I'm connected to my router with cable. So no wireless here.

Regards
/Patrik

More about : homebuilt system connectivity problem 1st hour

a c 93 B Homebuilt system
November 8, 2011 7:27:45 PM

Two questions:

1. Are you using the Windows drivers for your LAN adapter or are you using the ones that came installed on the motherboard's driver disc?

2. What router are you using? It could be driver errors there as well.

Try reinstalling both sets of drivers - for your LAN adapter and your router. If not it could either be a problem with Windows or it could be on your ISP's end.
a c 136 B Homebuilt system
November 8, 2011 7:36:08 PM

What g-unit said

and if it still persists try changing ISP's
Related resources
November 9, 2011 5:33:52 AM

g-unit1111 said:
Two questions:

1. Are you using the Windows drivers for your LAN adapter or are you using the ones that came installed on the motherboard's driver disc?

2. What router are you using? It could be driver errors there as well.

Try reinstalling both sets of drivers - for your LAN adapter and your router. If not it could either be a problem with Windows or it could be on your ISP's end.


1. Hmm ok, the thing is I've never had this before with other computers operating with cable. Or wireless for that matter. (using my current router, haven't switched for years.)
I don't know what drivers I'm using. I just installed windows 7 and plugged my internet cable in. I don't think I've installed any mobo specific LAN drivers. I'll look it up tho.. Maybe the mobo drivers interferes with W7 standard LAN drivers or something.

2. I'm using a netgear WPN824V2. never had problems with it and I haven't changed anything. Seems more like it's something with my computer that makes this random problem occur.. Because that's what it is, random. I don't see a regularity except I'm having this problem ONCE every boot but after a random time. And that's what I think is weird.

Thanks for the answer, appreciate it
a b B Homebuilt system
November 9, 2011 5:42:06 AM

I don't know if it's related but usually you have to set up options on the router. Do you use BitTorrent/DC++?

My router would kill the connection whenever I started BitTorrent, apparently it thought the incoming connections were an attack. It could also happen with games and Teamspeak I figure.
November 9, 2011 5:47:33 AM

I haven't had problems with DC++ or utorrent or bitorrent before on other computers. that's the weird thing. But yeah you could be on to something here.

But still, feels weird since it always happens ONE (1) time per boot. and it is always in the beginning, so first hour.
a c 93 B Homebuilt system
November 9, 2011 3:19:34 PM

Ananasen said:
1. Hmm ok, the thing is I've never had this before with other computers operating with cable. Or wireless for that matter. (using my current router, haven't switched for years.)
I don't know what drivers I'm using. I just installed windows 7 and plugged my internet cable in. I don't think I've installed any mobo specific LAN drivers. I'll look it up tho.. Maybe the mobo drivers interferes with W7 standard LAN drivers or something.

2. I'm using a netgear WPN824V2. never had problems with it and I haven't changed anything. Seems more like it's something with my computer that makes this random problem occur.. Because that's what it is, random. I don't see a regularity except I'm having this problem ONCE every boot but after a random time. And that's what I think is weird.

Thanks for the answer, appreciate it


Try reinstalling your Netgear drivers, and definitely install the motherboard specific drivers that came on the motherboard DVD - that should clear a lot of it up.

Quote:
My router would kill the connection whenever I started BitTorrent, apparently it thought the incoming connections were an attack. It could also happen with games and Teamspeak I figure.


Yeah really - I have Time Warner as my ISP and they don't screw around with Torrent users. One of my friends got several warnings from TW after they caught him using too many Torrent downloads.
!