Using a deep freezer to cool.

Status
Not open for further replies.

nagol567

Distinguished
Oct 7, 2011
So originally I was thinking about using my mini fridge to try to cool my computer. However, now i am thinking about getting a used deep freezer to put my setup in. As long as i keep my cpu load temp below 0C i shouldn't have to worry about condensation right? Any other thoughts/ ideas/ concerns would be appreciated!

nagol567

Distinguished
Oct 7, 2011
i dont have a link but most deep freezers get down to -10F but i was gonna mod it so that it would constantly run when i wanted it to. as long as it stays below 0C or 32F there should be no worry of condensation cause all the water will be frozen right?

RJR

Distinguished
Jan 7, 2009
Freezers and refrigerators can NOT handle a heat source. Look at any freezer manual on-line and you will see a specification that states how much non frozen food it can handle at one time. If it can't handle room temperature products how do you think it will be able to handle a heat source.

You can do an experiment to see what happens if you don't believe eveyone, just put a heat source in a freezer and see what happens. The temperature will just keep going up and the compressor will run non stop until it eventually burns out.

nagol567

Distinguished
Oct 7, 2011
Well i figure putting my rig in a freezer would be the same as puttimg it in a rom at -10F the cpu will be warmer the the ambient temps seeing as they will be -10F. Now do I have to worry about condensation if it goes above 0C. Will there be anyother problems with my mobo at subzero temps. That's what I need to know.

We said you, a rig inside a freezer can't cool your rig only works for kill it. Temp above 0ºC doesn't means avoid condensation, just means not sub-zero temps. I say you again, if you temps are below of the room/ambient temps the condensation is a problem.

No you won't, the temps have to be going below a 15c drop below ambient before the condensation begins, my ambient is 23c I can go as low as 8c with no condensation problem, once I start below 8c a lite frosting appears, around 5c very small micro sized droplets are forming, below 5c water drops definitely begin to form.

However I have not had to go below 8c for anything I'm doing including overclocking to 5.1ghz.

Any way the freezer idea is a bad idea.

But this will work just fine!

Condensation is not a fixed number below ambient. Condensation is based on dew point which is determined by the amount of water vapor and temperature and pressure. How relative humidy is derived.

At some points you will have to open and close the freezer doors. If all the computer parts are not @ ambient temp (really should be above as a safty factor) you will get condensation.
We use a heater/cooler to test electronic subassemblies. Before the door is opend after cooling cycle we verified the the assembly was above abient for at least 30 minutes prior to opening.

As all so far have indicated, not a good idea. Want to test, stick a 60 -> 100 Watt light bulb in and leave it on. 300 Watt Computer system at 30 % eff means 90 Watts is in the form of heat.

rubix_1011

Contributing Writer
As stated in your other thread, the only way to consider a fridge or freezer is to run phase change or chiller...you'd need to strip the compressor and mod it to use for phase or water chiller...not simply putting your components inside and and setting the thermostat to -20.

Continually asking for approval on the idea from the community isn't going to change the outcome. We know of your idea and concept, but it simply won't work like you think. If you want to find out for yourself...please do and write up a build log with detailed steps, testing and results.

I've posted some links below to steer you in the direction for possible uses for a fridge or freezer (that doesn't include simply placing your PC inside and closing the door). These are fairly advanced projects, so allow yourself significant time to research and plan accordingly. There is also significant risk for ruining hardware and potential for personal injury as well...just FYI.

http://www.overclock.net/phase-change/747244-list-phase-builds-guides.html
http://www.overclock.net/phase-change/58955-extreme-cooling-showcase-56k-warning.html
http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/forumdisplay.php?80-Vapor-Phase-Change-Cooling
http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/forumdisplay.php?155-Chilled-Liquid-Cooling

bigpoppastuke

Distinguished
Apr 14, 2009
If you honestly think you're the first one to think of this idea you're incredibly wrong. There's a reason we don't put computers in refrigerators.

Think of it this way. You put a cpu in, and run an intensive application. Without fans a cpu can run in excess of 100 degrees celcius. Even with a fan on the cpu the hot air needs to go somewhere; which would be outside the fridge. This also means your refrigerator would have to have open air access which in turn means you would be losing a lot of cooling and in turn have the fridge running at full power.

As soon as that cpu heats up you create condensation around the socket. As soon as that happens you fry your board in a matter of time.

+1 for phase change

Coolermaster

Distinguished
Nov 3, 2011
I Have my Computer in a Cooler i have made it works great with no condensation. The Cpu is Water cooled with a water chiller. My Cpu Temps are around 55F MAX. My case is cooled with a compressor. My Computer temps never rise above 65F. My videocard GTX 260 OC. Runs around 80F. Putting a pc in a freezer is possible if you know what your doing.

Status
Not open for further replies.