Complete gaming rig Professional advice needed

_head_shot_

Distinguished
Oct 18, 2011
Hey guys so ive put weeks of research and planning into this build, basically want the best bang for buck and future proof to play games for the next 3-5 years :D JUST have a few questions about some of the parts below, please gimme sound advice from a good source. Links to ur opinions that show good evidence would be very helpful! Sick of people just stating their opinions like nvidea fan boys etc.

CPU- Intel Core i5 2500K
RAM - G.Skill- ripjaws 8GB (2x4GB) DDR3-1600
PSU- Corsair TX-650M
Case- Coolermaster HAF912 Advanced
VGA- 1G GTX 560 ti hawk
MOBO- Asrock Z68 Extreme3 Gen3
HDD: Samsung SJ 1TB
ODD: DVD burner
CPU COOLER: Hyper 212 EVO
MONITOR: 24" BenQ G2420HD

I was hoping on some advice on my GPU and Cpu cooler as well as my MOBO. I am going to play at 1920x1080 and with a single monitor and DO NOT PLAN TO XFIRE. Keep in mind i live in Australia so the prices on newegg and tigerdirect etc don't apply to the ones down here D:.

GPU: Im totally undecided on whether to get the 560 ti hawk twin frozr III or Radeon 6950 2GB asus Direct Cuii.
560 ti hawk: $289
Asus 2GB 6950: $329

GPU: Which one is better? I dont mind spending the extra $40 as long as it makes sense... The extra 1GB of Vram is really appealing right now cause i want my comp to be future proof but apparently the 560 ti hawk runs most games perfectly fine?. Regardless of the fact that im only using one screen at 1920x1080 will i not need the extra 1GB for future games? The 6970 is about $420 and the 570 is about $400. Their out of my budget so please dont suggest i get any of those.

MOBO: Curious to know if there are any better mobos out there that are cheaper but get the job done. Don't want my parts to bottleneck cause the mobo can't handle it but also don't need 2x16 pci slots when i don't plan to xfire in the future. I know prices are all different down here BUT are there any BETTER mobo suggestions other than the asrock extreme 3 gen 3? For Solid gaming purposes, movies and music nothing else?

CPU COOLER: Curious to know if there is a major difference in the stock cooler and a custom cooler? I don't plan to OC my CPU for a while until i feel theneed to so should i just stick with the stock and save the extra cash? BTW i heard if ur CPU is kept at a cooler temp it will last longer, so is that the benefit of a custom cooler. I really don't want to buy any new parts for a while :(

Cheers guys

cutebeans

Distinguished

_head_shot_

Distinguished
Oct 18, 2011
Isn't the GTX 560 ti HAWK better than the 1GB 6950? It runs at a much higher core and has a much better cooler (twin frozr III). Don't u think the 2GB would help me future proof my rig for future vram demanding games? OR do you think 1GB is the max i really ever need?

I do plan to OC my cpu in the future, just not initially. Do u suggest i purchase the cooler now to keep my cpu cooler in the long run ?

Not really. [strike]But you didn't list the model of 6950 and [/strike]some of those are overclocked and some come in 2GB VRAM models. finally saw where you mentioned the 6950 model

I noticed you don't plan to buy a higher clocked AMD CPU? So you're probably aware a higher clock, all by itself, doesn't mean higher performance.

2GB VRAM will not future proof your GPU. You'll probably need to upgrade the graphics card before you find a game that really does need a 2GB frame buffer.

I recommend buying and installing the CPU cooler now.
Saves you from having to dismantle and disassemble your system to install it later. Much safer to install it at the start of your build.

_head_shot_

Distinguished
Oct 18, 2011
LOL I honestly can't afford a $500 GPU. Ok yeah i agree, better to get the Cooler Now and keep my cpu cooler in the long run and easier for when I do finally decide to over clock.

But honestly performance wise i thought the GTX 560 ti MSI hawk kills the 1GB 6950 gigabyte radeon? I read on one of the tomshardware 6950 reviews that the gigabyte 1GB is the best 6950 1GB model. ANYWAY so ok screw the 2GB you are right i probably will need a better GPU when 2GB demanding games come out.

But for NOW, do you guys suggest the 560 ti hawk or the 1GB 6950 radeon? Please give me some reasons, this is all i really need to complete my build =]

_head_shot_

Distinguished
Oct 18, 2011
BTW battlefield 3 requires about 1.5GB on ultra setting????? zzzzz Do you guys think i should go for the 2GB sapphire toxic? I beleive that has the best cooler in the maarket and is better than the Asus direct cuii?

How come are you dismissing CrossFire altogether? I recently bought a 6950 2 GB and it's awesome. It can't quite max BF3 at my resolution though, but I have everything on high and textures on ultra. I'm planning on getting a second one for myself on Christmas, I can't wait to see how powerful it is. I game at 1920 x 1200.

_head_shot_

Distinguished
Oct 18, 2011
MMMMM I don't mind going crossfire but it's just that it costs so much more D: I'll only be able to afford it in like 4 months or so ( i don't work). I would need to upgrade my PSU to a 750W to handle both 6950's or do i need a 850W PSU to be safe? Plus now i can't get the asus direct Cuii 2gb 6950 cause its to bloody big :pfff:

Any suggestions on 6950 2GB?? I know the sapphire toxic is the best one out there, but it costs almost as much as a gtx 570 ($50 less).

Plus doesn't crossfiring bring about new problems like micro stuttering and stuff? I'm just an innocent gamer, not a tech freak :( Will it be hard?