Could my motherboard be dead?

sesbetr72

Distinguished
Nov 22, 2012
I've read people saying that when their mobo is on, it has a lit LED on it, but I do not see any LED's on mine. Also, when my monitor, mouse, and keyboard are plugged in nothing happens. The lights on my keyboard, and mouse do not light up and my monitor says "VGA no signal - monitor going to sleep" What can I do to see if its my MOBO thats dead? I've tried placing my RAM in one slot of memory, and taking out battery for 15 mins making sure all cords are plugged in properly, reseated vid card. Also I know my PSU is good, I did the paperclip test or whatever and all the fans in my case work and the fan's LED's are also lit up.

Heres what I have

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant / Benchmarks

CPU: AMD Phenom II X4 965 Black 3.4GHz Quad-Core Processor ($89.99 @ Amazon)
CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO 82.9 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler ($29.99 @ Newegg)
Motherboard: ASRock 970 Extreme3 ATX AM3+ Motherboard ($74.99 @ Newegg)
Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($38.98 @ Outlet PC)
Storage: Seagate Barracuda 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($78.98 @ Outlet PC)
Video Card: MSI Radeon HD 7770 GHz Edition 1GB Video Card ($112.55 @ Newegg)
Case: Zalman Z9 Plus ATX Mid Tower Case ($39.99 @ NCIX US)
Power Supply: Corsair Builder 430W 80 PLUS Certified ATX12V Power Supply ($35.99 @ Newegg)
Optical Drive: LG GH24NS90 DVD/CD Writer ($28.22 @ Compuvest)
Total: $529.68
(Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available.)
(Generated by PCPartPicker 2012-12-12 05:00 EST-0500)

weaselman

Honorable
Oct 27, 2012
I take it you have just built the system, and put all of the parts together. Did the computer boot on the first power up or not ?
The first thing you want to check is if you plugged the 6-8 pin 12v power pin in the connector located next to the Cpu socket. Without this the board will not boot with a Pci-e graphics card in its slot as it is required.

check if the card has the extra 12v-pcie power connector plugged into the graphics card on the back edge of the card.

Make sure the two memory sticks are installed to dimm memory slot A1 and dimm B1 only.

A paper clip test will not tell you if the PSU has enough watts or amps on the 12v rails to drive the system,you will have to calculate that on the draw of the cpu, graphics card and the devices like the Dvd rom drive and Hard drive. Its a good quality power supply, but I think 430w may be border line on running the system, maybe trade it for a higher wattage and amp rating on the 12v rails if none of the tips work here. Once done reset the bios and see if it boots, dont forget to plug all the power cables into the HD and dvd rom drive also and the sata cables