Sign in with
Your question

Just got a new i5 2500k, what should be my next new upgrade?

Tags:
  • CPUs
  • SSD
  • Intel i5
Last response: in CPUs
February 8, 2012 5:10:26 PM

I currently have a i5 2500k.
im wondering if my next upgrade should be either something to help cool the cpu or a nice ssd?
I currently have a h50 in a push pull config
I hear that it can cool a 2500k pretty well even at a nice OC.. but im not sure..
So should i get maybe something like a H100 or build my own loop
or should i get a 120gb SSD? if so what brand? i hear the force gt is pretty nice

More about : 2500k upgrade

February 8, 2012 5:17:34 PM

I'd get a SSD. The Crucial M4 SSD is a good option if you want a lot of memory for a decent price. I also hear that OCZ has some pretty fast SSD's also, mind the price though. It's up to you but I was also a bit cautions about buying an SSD because I wasn't sure if it was worth it but they really are if you want fast loading programs.
m
l
a b à CPUs
February 8, 2012 6:00:59 PM

If you're already using the H50, I wouldn't think that the H100 would be worth the investment...the i5-2500K is not a hot chip, and your current cooler will be performing on a par with all but the highest-end air-coolers. A custom water-loop will knock the H50 out the park, but you will be talking a lot of money to set it up.

I'd go for the SSD, personally (and will be at the end of the month, myself). Having been looking at them this afternoon, I'm settling on the Corsair Force 3. I did look at the Force GT, but the only discernible difference between the two (apart from the colour) is that the Force GT is better at handling uncompressed data such as photos and the likes. If you're just after an OS-and-basic-programs drive, then you likely won't need the Force GT.
m
l
Related resources
a b à CPUs
February 8, 2012 6:02:32 PM

the h50 should be fine as long as you have decent case cooling as well--are you pulling air inwards or outwards?

so go for the ssd--pricey but everything is just so much faster
m
l
a b à CPUs
February 8, 2012 6:29:00 PM

Get an ssd since you can clock sandybridge pretty easily on air without watercooling. With an ssd you will notice the performance improvement
m
l
a c 190 à CPUs
February 8, 2012 6:36:14 PM

If you are planning on overclocking the Intel® Core™ i5-2500K right now get the HSF (Heatsink/fan). There are a number of good coolers out there from the Cooler Master Hyper 212+ to the high-end like the Noctua NH-D14. Pick one based on your budget and overclocking wants.

If you are planning on waiting for a while before you overclock wait and get a good SSD like the Intel® SSD 520 that was just launched on Monday. It is very fast and comes with a 5 year warranty.

Christian Wood
Intel Enthusiast Team
m
l
a b à CPUs
February 8, 2012 6:49:55 PM

IntelEnthusiast said:
If you are planning on overclocking the Intel® Core™ i5-2500K right now get the HSF (Heatsink/fan). There are a number of good coolers out there from the Cooler Master Hyper 212+ to the high-end like the Noctua NH-D14. Pick one based on your budget and overclocking wants.

If you are planning on waiting for a while before you overclock wait and get a good SSD like the Intel® SSD 520 that was just launched on Monday. It is very fast and comes with a 5 year warranty.

Christian Wood
Intel Enthusiast Team

Did you even read the OP's post? He already has the H50 as a cooler.
m
l
a c 186 à CPUs
February 8, 2012 7:13:27 PM

i5-3570k or an i7-3770k.
m
l
February 8, 2012 9:02:47 PM

Thanks guys for the great replies!
I think i will get the SSD, id like to get one in the sub $200
I would like to get a drive that i can use now and also use while Im in college in a new laptop ill eventually get.

but anyway i was thinking about getting the Momentous XT hybrid drive.
i hear pretty good things from it such as it has ssd like performance with lots of storage, what are your guy's thoughts?
m
l
!