Sign in with
Your question

PC taking increasing amount of attempts to boot

Last response: in Motherboards
December 12, 2012 10:17:32 AM

Hi guys,

I finished my first build about 2 months ago and things were going well enough. Within the last week my pc's been taking multiple attempts to boot, and it is getting worse every day. Three days ago I would press the power button, the led would come on, the fans would start spinning and then it just turned itself off. It would then power up again automatically and boot as normal. This morning this happened about 10 times, and on certain occasions the pc would boot to a bios screen and then turn itself off.

I don't think its the psu, because once it boots it runs normally. Also, the problem only occurs after the pc has been turned off overnight, I tried shutting it down and turning it on just now and it booted fine.

I've tried updating my ssd's firmware and upgrading the bios and this has not helped. Is it worth clearing cmos, as I have already loaded optimized defaults in the bios after upgrade?

Some additional information, I occasionally get a display driver stopped responding message, or a memory management blue screen after the pc has been on for a few minutes and I enter an application (it did it while I was using google maps the other day.) Also, the most frequent motherboard led code where the system hangs is 15: Pre-memory north bridge initialization is started.

Just about to go out and buy a post speaker to see if this can shed some light, but otherwise I'm thinking it's a motherboard or ram problem.

Does anyone have any ideas as to what's going on?

Thanks

Specs:
mobo: Gigabyte GA-Z77X-UD3H
processor: Intel i7 2700k
ssd: crucial m4 128gb
hdd: seagate barracuda 1tb
ram: corsair low profile 16gb ddr3 (2x8gb)
psu: corsair enthusiast tx650m 650w
gpu: amd radeon hd 6800
windows 7 professional 64 bit

December 12, 2012 10:40:27 AM

Herbs_and_Spices said:
Hi guys,

I finished my first build about 2 months ago and things were going well enough. Within the last week my pc's been taking multiple attempts to boot, and it is getting worse every day. Three days ago I would press the power button, the led would come on, the fans would start spinning and then it just turned itself off. It would then power up again automatically and boot as normal. This morning this happened about 10 times, and on certain occasions the pc would boot to a bios screen and then turn itself off.

I don't think its the psu, because once it boots it runs normally. Also, the problem only occurs after the pc has been turned off overnight, I tried shutting it down and turning it on just now and it booted fine.

I've tried updating my ssd's firmware and upgrading the bios and this has not helped. Is it worth clearing cmos, as I have already loaded optimized defaults in the bios after upgrade?

Some additional information, I occasionally get a display driver stopped responding message, or a memory management blue screen after the pc has been on for a few minutes and I enter an application (it did it while I was using google maps the other day.) Also, the most frequent motherboard led code where the system hangs is 15: Pre-memory north bridge initialization is started.

Just about to go out and buy a post speaker to see if this can shed some light, but otherwise I'm thinking it's a motherboard or ram problem.

Does anyone have any ideas as to what's going on?

Thanks

Specs:
mobo: Gigabyte GA-Z77X-UD3H
processor: Intel i7 2700k
ssd: crucial m4 128gb
hdd: seagate barracuda 1tb
ram: corsair low profile 16gb ddr3 (2x8gb)
psu: corsair enthusiast tx650m 650w
gpu: amd radeon hd 6800
windows 7 professional 64 bit

I don't think it's the RAM, if the RAM was faulty then the computer won't reboot. Have you checked your processor? And also your PSU might working intermittently. Check your PSU with an other setup maybe?
Related resources
December 12, 2012 12:31:28 PM

CPU fan's connected to the right header. I just waited 30 minutes with the power unplugged and it booted straight away. It's going to be annoying to troubleshoot because I have to wait overnight to test things. Will try resetting the cmos tonight and powering on tomorrow. If this doesn't work I'll have a look at the CPU (I'm always a bit hesitant about opening the case, I'm paranoid I'll really mess things up lol.) Will I have to re-apply the thermal grease if I reseat the CPU?
December 13, 2012 9:11:30 AM

Herbs_and_Spices said:
CPU fan's connected to the right header. I just waited 30 minutes with the power unplugged and it booted straight away. It's going to be annoying to troubleshoot because I have to wait overnight to test things. Will try resetting the cmos tonight and powering on tomorrow. If this doesn't work I'll have a look at the CPU (I'm always a bit hesitant about opening the case, I'm paranoid I'll really mess things up lol.) Will I have to re-apply the thermal grease if I reseat the CPU?

Yes.
December 14, 2012 10:33:12 AM

OK quick update. Bought a post beep speaker and it gave off a repeating beep. Had a look around, and found that for an ami bios this means problems with the video card or memory. I reseated both and it booted fine, the first time it's done it in a week. Also the video card temperature is slightly lower so If I had to guess I would say it was this. Will see what happens tomorrow but it looks good at the moment, thanks guys.
!