Crossfire XFX 5870's give me bad performance

melonpaste

Distinguished
Sep 1, 2011
Hi,

I recently upgraded by build and added an extra XFX 5870 to run in crossfire. I have not noticed a performance difference at all for high-demanding games such as Crysis. When I run it in 64-bit I get an average of 25 FPS when without the extra card I get about 45 FPS.

In source games, certain areas in certain maps stutter to a point where it makes games like shooters unplayable.

The problem stops when I disable xfire.

Specs:

6 gigs of RAM

phenom 2 965 black edition unclocked

950w psu

Crosshair IV formula

sounds like you have a driver issue or something. You should not get less fps in crossfire. Download Driversweeper, that will remove all old traces of drivers and registry entries that can ah heck things up, you need to run it in safe mode to remove everything. Then re-boot and only install the latest AMD catalyst drivers. Try that and get back to us.

melonpaste

Distinguished
Sep 1, 2011

I did what you told me to do and unfortunately there is no difference.

christop

Distinguished
Go to amd and dl this ATI Catalyst Application Profiles 0.5 MB 11.8 CAP3 9/2/2011
Description:
This release of ATI Catalyst™ delivers support for the latest ATI CrossFireX™ profiles in a separate executable file ensuring users have access to the absolute latest set of profiles installed on their PC.

I had the same problem but after installing the cf profile thing my 5850s worked fine with cf.

melonpaste

Distinguished
Sep 1, 2011
Go to amd and dl this ATI Catalyst Application Profiles 0.5 MB 11.8 CAP3 9/2/2011
Description:
This release of ATI Catalyst™ delivers support for the latest ATI CrossFireX™ profiles in a separate executable file ensuring users have access to the absolute latest set of profiles installed on their PC.

I had the same problem but after installing the cf profile thing my 5850s worked fine with cf.

Does it execute automatically? Because I downloaded it.

melonpaste

Distinguished
Sep 1, 2011
Alright,

I tried out Empire: Total War and I played at 1920x1080 with 4x AA and all other possible eye candy checked at max- Greater performance than a single card. Could it be that Crysis (which I know is a badly optimized game) and Source games aren't that great with double GPU setups?