Sign in with
Your question
Closed

Gaming PC good enough for BF3/Skyrim?

Last response: in Systems
November 8, 2011 10:26:50 AM

Hello! and welcome to my thread.

Over the last few weeks I have been playing around with builds for when I make it home in a little under a month. I started out with a budget of $5,000 USD and I have to say, I think this one is the winner. I wanted to post it in order to get some advice on maybe some money-saving changes and/or some ideas on what you think about the build itself. I will be using this PC for hardcore gaming and graphic/video editing.

Please, feel free to give me your thoughts...

Area 85 Rig

CPU: Intel Core i7-2600K SandyBridge 3.4GHz Quad-Core (Will overclock to around 4.5GHz)
Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO 82.9 CFM Sleeve Bearing
Motherboard: ASRock Z68 Extreme4 Gen3 ATX LGA1155
Memory: Corsair Vengeance 16GB (4x4GB) DDR3-1600
HDD: Seagate Barracuda XT 3TB 3.5" 7200RPM
SSD: Crucial M4 128GB 2.5"
Video Card: 2x MSI Lightning Xtreme GeForce GTX 580 3GB in SLI
Case: Antec DF-85 ATX Full Tower
Power Supply: Enermax Revolution 1350W ATX12V/EPS12V
Optical Drive: LG GH22NS70 OEM DVD/CD Writer
Monitor: 3x Samsung P2770FH 27.0" 1ms Response 1900x1080

Total Cost: $3765.41 USD

Thoughts?

More about : gaming good bf3 skyrim

November 8, 2011 10:45:22 AM

"Gaming PC good enough for BF3/Skyrim?" Is this a genuine? or you just bragging?

If your going to be using your 3 monitors for SLI surrond, your going to need 3GB 580s.

Also as you have the money, get a better CPU cooler like the Noctua NH-D14.
Score
November 8, 2011 10:45:34 AM

Yeah its good enough I would drop down to an i5 2500k its better for gaming and the i7 isnt worth the extra money

MoBo I would change to a Z68

For gaming you dont need 16GB, go with 8GB it will be better

Top mounted PSU I find to be very shitty cause it can easily tip over I would change that to a bottom mounted instead

Everything else looks great
Score
Related resources
November 8, 2011 10:49:12 AM

Emelth said:
Yeah its good enough I would drop down to an i5 2500k its better for gaming and the i7 isnt worth the extra money

No he should stick with the 2600k as he is doing graphic/video editing.
Score
November 8, 2011 10:51:27 AM

ah did not see that, correct stay with the i7
Score
November 8, 2011 10:55:06 AM

Emelth said:

While 16GB will not be better for gaming than 8GB, 8GB will not be better than 16GB for gaming either except that its cheaper to buy, but if he has the money he may as well buy 16GB.
Score
November 8, 2011 11:02:33 AM

Alright yeah yeah i know i didnt know he was doing editting do you want me to edit the post so you can try to stop nitpicking it?
Score
November 8, 2011 11:03:56 AM

Everything else looks very very good.

As I said earlier the only two things I think you should change is

1. The CPU cooler (while the 212 EVO is a great cooler if you have the money you may as well go for something better if your planning on overclocking) I recommend the NH-D14.

2. If you are using your 3 monitors for SLI surround you really should get the 3GB GTX 580 version.
Score
November 8, 2011 11:05:29 AM

Emelth said:
Alright yeah yeah i know i didnt know he was doing editting do you want me to edit the post so you can try to stop nitpicking it?

I'm not nitpicking so calm down.
Score

Best solution

November 8, 2011 11:17:28 AM

pretty expensive rig.
i would suggest the following changes-
change the mobo to this one-
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
i have a maximus xtreme 3-way SLI mobo but i think this one(give above)is better choice for the money.
gtx 580 3-way sli is not worth the $1500.you will suffer lack of VRAM on huge resolutions.
put these things in 2-wayl SLI-
i have a single card and it runs crysis(ultra graphic mod)at high settings and it is enough for 2560x1440.
you are spending so much on your build but not on a quality case.
if you don't want to spend much on a case,then i woul suggest this one-
a quality,high performance case.
other things look good.
c u later.

November 8, 2011 11:28:15 AM

Gothams Finest said:
"Gaming PC good enough for BF3/Skyrim?" Is this a genuine? or you just bragging?

If your going to be using your 3 monitors for SLI surrond, your going to need 3GB 580s.

Also as you have the money, get a better CPU cooler like the Noctua NH-D14.

This is the genuine rig I plan on building when I get home in a month as a said, so why brag? I have a $5000 budget, so I am getting the very best out of it that I can. I did look at the Noctua NH-D14 and a lot of people have said that it is the best cooler that is on the market. But I want to know why?

Noctua NH-D14 --- 900-1200 RPM, 12.6-19.8 dbA, $84.39
Cool Master Hyper 212 EVO --- 600-2000 RPM, 9.0-36.0 dbA, $29.44

I must be missing something here with the Noctua. I mean, sure, it's quieter at the peak RPM, but price wise, why is the Noctua seem to be SO much better?

2. Can you explain the need for 3GB 580s? I'm all for it, I just want an explanation.
Score
November 8, 2011 11:35:43 AM

Emelth said:

MoBo I would change to a Z68

Top mounted PSU I find to be very shitty cause it can easily tip over I would change that to a bottom mounted instead

Everything else looks great

1. i7-2600K is for hyper-threading without spending gobs of money on the 990x

2. Any good SLI, LGA1155 compatible mobos you'd suggest for Z68?

3. 16GB is mainly for the graphic/video editing. I realize 8GB is more than enough, but I have 4 RAM slots, so I filled them up for my other uses.

4. I would love a bottom-mounted case, but I have yet to find something that will allow me to give that WOW factor with the LEDs. I would like an array of colors if I could. Only reason I picked the A380COLOR, even knowing about the top-mounted PSU.
Score
November 8, 2011 11:59:33 AM

Best answer selected by evgarunner.
n
nThank you for the update. Completely looked over the MSI 580s, which are BEASTLY. I agree, the 3x is a bit overkill. I also used your Z68 MoBo suggestion. The computer is looking better and you have saved me around $400 so far, I greatly appreciate it.
n
nNow, since you freed up some more money, I'm looking for a better case that appeals to me. Any ideas on the Corsair Obsidian 800D? With this much power, I will need ultimate ventilation.
n
nAlso, still waiting on a reply back on the Noctua vs Hyper 212.
Score
November 8, 2011 6:00:33 PM

I am down right jealous of your specs, like holy sh*t (good way). That's like more than overkill, it's like complete annihilation of earth. Twice.

Visual overkill below:
(kind of)

XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX-O
Score
November 8, 2011 6:47:03 PM

I found 3 reviews on the Noctua with apparently widely differing results:
http://www.guru3d.com/article/noctua-nhc14-cpu-cooler-r...

http://www.legitreviews.com/article/1531/6/

http://www.maximumpc.com/article/reviews/noctua_nh-c14_...

I'm not sure how the reviewers load their CPU's to 100% but 100% is 100%.

My 2500K clocked to 4.4Mhz settles in around 69C after running Prime 95 for an hour with a CM Hyper 212+.
Gaming isn't going to load a CPU to 100% for any extended period.
Score
November 9, 2011 7:44:46 AM

Quote:
evgarunner said:
Best answer selected by evgarunner.
n
nThank you for the update. Completely looked over the MSI 580s, which are BEASTLY. I agree, the 3x is a bit overkill. I also used your Z68 MoBo suggestion. The computer is looking better and you have saved me around $400 so far, I greatly appreciate it.
n
nNow, since you freed up some more money, I'm looking for a better case that appeals to me. Any ideas on the Corsair Obsidian 800D? With this much power, I will need ultimate ventilation.
n
nAlso, still waiting on a reply back on the Noctua vs Hyper 212.

n
n
n
nthnk you very much for selecting as best answer.i am 15 and i am trying hard to be be an "EXPERT".
ni am using this case-
nhttp://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
na great case IMO>
n800d is a good case but it is fine for liquid cooling.
nthis is a good choice-
nhttp://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
nit has killer looks,high airflow,clean cable management etc. :sol:  :sol:  :)  :) 
n
Score
November 9, 2011 8:10:54 AM

+1 to ArmorPlus it looks like a beast I was looking at that one a while back
Score
November 9, 2011 8:38:15 AM

nonsubmssve said:
I am down right jealous of your specs, like holy sh*t (good way). That's like more than overkill, it's like complete annihilation of earth. Twice.

Visual overkill below:
(kind of)

XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX-O

Haha thanks. But don't be jealous, please.

Hellfire

You are most welcome. I am by no means an expert when it comes to building gaming pc's, thus, is why I asked for a bit of help to "better" my rig. So again, thank you.

As far as the cases, I like the Armor+, but it still has a top-mounted PSU bay. I would much rather stick with the 800D with a bottom mounted PSU. If you can find something with a bottom-mounted PSU that catches my interest, I would be greatly appreciative.

The MK-1 doesn't look bad, I like it as well. Just seeing if you can find something else. I will be searching myself.

DelroyMonjo

Thank you for the reviews, but I still don't see much means to spend $60 more on the Noctua when the Hyper 212 will clearly get the job done. That was my entire argument on the situation.
Score
November 9, 2011 9:31:30 AM

evgarunner said:

Thank you for the reviews, but I still don't see much means to spend $60 more on the Noctua when the Hyper 212 will clearly get the job done. That was my entire argument on the situation.

Then buy the 212 then. No one is forcing you to go for the Noctua, I was just giving you my thoughts, which is what you asked for.

The 212 is the best "bang for ya buck" cooler but the Noctua is a beast which has a lot more headroom for overclocking then the 212.

Is it worth the money? To some it is, to others it isn't. If it isn't to you then don't buy it.
Score
November 9, 2011 9:38:17 AM

Also you should consider the CM 690 II advanced

It comes with an SSD bay, tool free design, great cable manegement, great airflow, has room for up to 11 fans, is big enough for the largest GPUs and CPU coolers and has top and bottom mount water cooling for easy installation of liquid cooling systems.

This is also a great case

Both have bottom mounted PSU bays.
Score
November 9, 2011 9:44:01 AM

Gothams Finest said:
Then buy the 212 then. No one is forcing you to go for the Noctua, I was just giving you my thoughts, which is what you asked for.

The 212 is the best "bang for ya buck" cooler but the Noctua is a beast which has a lot more headroom for overclocking then the 212.

Is it worth the money? To some it is, to others it isn't. If it isn't to you then don't buy it.

Whoa! Hold up.

Don't go and get your feelings hurt because I didn't use your suggestion now. Yes, I asked for your thoughts, but I also asked for feedback on why the Noctua was worth the extra money, which I received none from you. As I have heard, it is a beast, especially for overclocking, but what I want to know is why and how i.e. RPMs, dbA, etc.

There obviously has to be something that makes the Noctua a beastly cooler, but just looking at the specs versus the 212, the Noctua runs at lower RPMs and costs more. The only thing I currently see (seeing as though I know little about coolers) is that the Noctua is quieter during max output.

I apologize if I upset you, there is no need for that attitude, I just need some answers is all :pt1cable: 
Score
November 9, 2011 9:55:32 AM

evgarunner said:
Whoa! Hold up.

Don't go and get your feelings hurt because I didn't use your suggestion now. Yes, I asked for your thoughts, but I also asked for feedback on why the Noctua was worth the extra money, which I received none from you. As I have heard, it is a beast, especially for overclocking, but what I want to know is why and how i.e. RPMs, dbA, etc.

There obviously has to be something that makes the Noctua a beastly cooler, but just looking at the specs versus the 212, the Noctua runs at lower RPMs and costs more. The only thing I currently see (seeing as though I know little about coolers) is that the Noctua is quieter during max output.

I apologize if I upset you, there is no need for that attitude, I just need some answers is all :pt1cable: 

Hold up yourself. I am spending my own free time trying to help you. Do not be so rude and ungrateful.

I am not upset and I am not giving you attitude. I'm telling you how it is. I don't care what cooler you buy, you can run your CPU without a cooler for all I care.

The Noctua is the better performing cooler end off, and the 212 is the best value cooler. I would of spent the time giving evidence to back this up if you were not so rude to me just now. I am not going to waste my time trying to help rude and ungratefull people like you.

You didn't get a reply yesterday because I was busy, I have a lot more important things to do in my life then give ungrateful people like you advice.

I apologize if I spent the time to try and help you. I can see I have wasted my time. Good day.
Score
November 9, 2011 10:08:08 AM

Gothams Finest said:
Hold up yourself. I am spending my own free time trying to help you. Do not be so rude and ungrateful.

I am not upset and I am not giving you attitude. I'm telling you how it is. I don't care what cooler you buy, you can run your CPU without a cooler for all I care.

The Noctua is the better performing cooler end off, and the 212 is the best value cooler. I would of spent the time giving evidence to back this up if you were not so rude to me just now. I am not going to waste my time trying to help rude and ungratefull people like you.

You didn't get a reply yesterday because I was busy, I have a lot more important things to do in my life then give ungrateful people like you advice.

I apologize if I spent the time to try and help you. I can see I have wasted my time. Good day.

You sound pretty upset to me. And rude and ungrateful? Lmao. Since when did refusing to take your advice because you didn't have hard evidence to back it constitute being rude and ungrateful? Oh jesus, what are they teaching these kids in school these days?

Oh and btw, the post about the Noctua versus 212 that you so aimlessly quoted from me, was in no way, shape or form directed towards you at all. I could understand if I said "That idiot Gotham wants me to spend $60 more on a cooler that he can't even back with evidence to prove it's worth". But I didn't.

Remember child, you took it upon yourself to assume that was a direct notion to your suggestion of using the Noctua and yet, you are mistaken.

Now, since you have better things to do than to help others, please silently leave my thread so those who have a heart and would like to help can, without having to listen to you cry because I dismissed your suggestion.

Have a good one :) 
Score
November 9, 2011 10:34:02 AM

Oh so were name calling are we? very mature. And using "words" such as lmao really adds to that maturity. Also calling a 21 year old a child is a very poor attempt at belittling.

Like I said previous I do not care whos advise you take, you can use what ever cooler you want, it makes no difference to me. I have already explained to you why I did not back it up with "hard" evidene in my previous post but you obviously have trouble with reading.

Good day.
Score
November 9, 2011 1:52:31 PM

cool down guys.
i don't know what's going on but,
1)-Noctua is for super enthusiasts.it is comparable to low end(NO OFFENCE LOLSSS) liquid cooling such as H50,620etc..
2)-i am using megahalems with 2xCM sickflow fans.i don't see any reason for anychange ATM.i have overclocked my 2600k to 4ghz with no problems.
3)-hyper 212+ EVO is a great cooler.it is he best at price point.GO FOR IT.

As far as case is concerned,DF-85 is a great case for money.
Score
November 9, 2011 2:01:52 PM

hellfire24 said:
cool down guys.
i don't know what's going on but,
1)-Noctua is for super enthusiasts.it is comparable to low end(NO OFFENCE LOLSSS) liquid cooling such as H50,620etc..
2)-i am using megahalems with 2xCM sickflow fans.i don't see any reason for anychange ATM.i have overclocked my 2600k to 4ghz with no problems.
3)-hyper 212+ EVO is a great cooler.it is he best at price point.GO FOR IT.

As far as case is concerned,DF-85 is a great case for money.

Things are fine, I just asked him to leave my thread.

Anyway, I definitely love the Antec DF-85 and yes, the price for it is great. That was one of my worries, was getting the 2.5" SSD and not having the tray with it. The Df-85 eliminates that need and again, you have saved me money and helped me out a ton :D . Thanks.

As far as the cooler, the Hyper 212 EVO is a stout cooler, comparable to the Noctua, minus the enthusiast portion. Lol. Yes, I plan to overclock, but, from what I have read and from what I have been told, the Hyper 212 will be MORE than enough to handle the payload.
Score
November 9, 2011 2:43:50 PM

ofcourse EVO is a great cooler.
Score
November 9, 2011 5:25:59 PM

This topic has been closed by CompTIA_Rep
Score
!