Sign in with
Your question

AsRock Extreme11 or ASUS RIVE?

Last response: in Motherboards
December 12, 2012 2:01:11 PM

After having my previous build for about 3 years, I'm ready to upgrade. I was set on the RIVE but then the AsRock came out. I've googled plenty of one vs the other articles but have gotten mostly opinions.

I know the hardware I'm getting other than the MB. Someone please help me understand which is a better choice and why.

Here's what I'd build.

RIVE
i7-3970 (light OC)
Gskill 64gb 1600mhz
(2) EVGA GTX 690s (light OC)
LSI Raid Card - 4 OCZ Vertex 4s - RAID 10
Swiftech Cooling CPU and GPUs

AsRock Extreme11
same
same
same
8 OCZ Vertex 4s - RAID 10 using onboard LSI
same

PC will be used for Top-of-the-line Video and Music Production and some not so intense gaming.

Also, someone please educate me on which may result in faster internet connections and why..

What is the better choice?
Please no fan-based opinions.
Looking for real answers. Its a big buy
Thanks!
a c 121 V Motherboard
December 12, 2012 2:23:39 PM

They are both great boards, but it really comes down to personal preference.

However. I would be inclined to go with the RIVE and the LSI card. Due to it being a hardware controlled RAID as opposed to software controlled. Also the LSI card has a battery backup, so if your BIOS gets wiped out, or you have to move the Array to another system you won't lose your data.

Technically the ASRock has *potential* for greater speeds. Since you can chain the 2 NIC's together. However, in almost all cases, the bandwidth between the computer and the router is much higher than between your router and the internet. So, increasing that pipeline probably won't result in much higher speeds.

However, if you have a network setup, and are planning on transferring a large amount of data within your network, the dual nics will help.
m
l
December 12, 2012 2:39:33 PM

Thanks!

Advantages of hardware controlled as opposed to software controlled other than battery backup??
m
l
a c 121 V Motherboard
December 12, 2012 2:45:54 PM

Hardware is faster, as it uses it's own logic controller to run the array, instead of borrowing cycles from the host.

Also, I know they have 2 PLX PEX chips, but I am not sure how they are getting bandwidth for 10 SATA3 ports as well as 4xPCIe3.0@16 simultaneously. You will probably have better bandwidth going with the Raidcard.

My personal opinion, is I would rather have an array that size transferable and not dependent on the MB. If my MB goes out, I want to grab my RAID and put it in a new system, without losing everything. With software controllers, most of the time data is completely unrecoverable if something fails, and to have that linked to the MB is not a gamble I am willing to take.

Also, I don't know how ASRock has it setup, as I haven't used that board. But I know that on my Asus (parent company of ASRock) if I ever mess up a BIOS setting due to an OC or something, it wipes out the RAID settings and destroys the array.
m
l
!