Asrock Z77 Pro3, is it any good?

gabrielorie

Distinguished
Jan 28, 2012
Hey there, i just received my new processor, an Intel i5 2500k, 8GB's of Kingston RAM and my new monitor, an Asus 24". For my video card i was thinking of a an ATI 7870, but it's PCI-E 3.0 (Don't know what that means lol ) so i'm wondering if an Asrock Z77 Pro3 will support this, also does anyone know if it supports crossfire? Thanks in advance.

Solution
In plain english - don't get it. If you MUST get a motherboard on the cheap, go for the Extreme4 like dark said. That would be the minimum i'd get imho - you'll get the heck of alot better stability on the ex4 along with extra features here and there (e.g. digital power on the ex4 for high clocks when oc'ing, etc).

Or even better, fork out a tad more (USD $17) for the GA-Z77-D3H. That's a fairly decent mobo, plus it's made by a highly reputable brand.

stargiss

Honorable
Mar 9, 2012

I bought the Pro 3 earlier this year for a i5-2500K build and I couldn't be happier with it. Got it for a steal ($30) from Microcenter with the i5 combo package.

It's my 2nd build and I really knew nothing about the MB before buying it, but it's turned out to be a pretty decent investment. I know a lot of people recommend the Extreme 4 instead and I won't disagree really but if you need to cut corners somewhere I would think the step-down to the Pro3 is a decent place to do it.

professorturtle

Honorable
Oct 4, 2012
In plain english - don't get it. If you MUST get a motherboard on the cheap, go for the Extreme4 like dark said. That would be the minimum i'd get imho - you'll get the heck of alot better stability on the ex4 along with extra features here and there (e.g. digital power on the ex4 for high clocks when oc'ing, etc).

Or even better, fork out a tad more (USD $17) for the GA-Z77-D3H. That's a fairly decent mobo, plus it's made by a highly reputable brand.

Solution