wizard21

Distinguished
Nov 8, 2011
Biggest uses will include some decently strong gaming, Minecraft, Wow, maybe Skyrim (though that is not a breaking point if it cant run that beast, the prior two tho a must)

Processor 1 x Intel® Core™ i7-2670QM Mobile Processor (4x 2.20GHz/6MB L3 Cache)
Memory 1 x 8GB [4GB x 2] 1333MHz DDR3 SDRAM [Laptop Memory]-Corsair or Major Brand
Video Card 1 x NVIDIA GeForce GTX 560M 1.5GB GDDR5 Video [P151HM1]
Primary Hard Drive 1 x 60 GB ADATA S511 SSD-Single Drive

Subtotal $1,332.00

It's from IBUYPOWER if anyone cares.
Anyone thoughts?

g-unit1111

Titan
Two things:

1. IBUYPOWER is not a good manufacturer - at least on the support side. If you really want a high end laptop - go with Origin, Sager, Falcon Northwest, you name it. Those laptops will run a bit more but the smaller companies like that really support their systems and take time to make sure everything's working before they ship out the door. Origin also gives you the option to use any part you can think of - even stuff they don't carry normally.

2. Don't use a single 60GB SSD without a secondary storage option - it's going to be pretty useless as you'll fill up your drive quickly and then realize that you don't have room for new games and that sort of thing. A better option would be to use the Seagate Momentus XT SSD Hybrid 500GB - it's a mechanical HD but it also uses SSD sectors to make booting and other tasks faster.

phyco126

Distinguished
Nov 6, 2011
What g-unit said. Sager is pretty good. I would also recommend an ASUS laptop, as those perform pretty good (just gotta skim all the bloatware off the top).

A 60 GB SSD is asking for trouble. I filled up a 80 GB HDD pretty dang fast just after a handful of games. Figure a game takes 5 to 10 GB... plus what the OS takes, and any other support software you may have. I wouldn't trust an SSD in a laptop anyway, unless you can enable all the tweaks and tricks you need to do to maximize performance and reduce wear and tear.

wizard21

Distinguished
Nov 8, 2011
I understand the space issues, but for the most part this wont be running more than microsoft word, final cut pro, adobe photoshop, and WOW. Any of my bigger games I use my desktop at home for. So I feel like 60 gb will be just enough, and I can always carry a little external HD if need be for music or w.e

My question for phyco is what did you mean by you wouldnt trust a SSD laptop? As you can tell i'm quite a newb at this but I though there was less wear and tear then a traditional HD because there are fewer moving parts and what not?

phyco126

Distinguished
Nov 6, 2011
Well, it may be fine. But without TRIM support and other goodies, a SSD's memory gets worn out everytime you fill it up. As a result, perfomance degrades. You have to make sure you disable a few things in the OS as well, that continues to read from the HDD. Defragging is pointless and will kill the drive fairly quick. How quick, beats me. I just know some people suffer performance loss in a month. That is why I just wouldn't trust it. It might be fine, but the MB needs to have support for it.

g-unit1111

Titan

I think he's trying to say the same thing I am - don't use a 60GB SSD as your only storage device.

Even if you mainly use a lot of business apps a 60GB SSD will fill up pretty quickly. I'm using a 64GB Crucial and after formatting, loading Windows and everything else I have maybe 4 - 5GB left.