Sign in with
Your question

Can something like this be usefully developed?

Last response: in Components
December 6, 2011 3:16:34 PM

Hi All,

Recently, a Chemist friend and I were having a casual discussion about computer cooling solutions.
I had mentioned the vast degree which air cooling fans (people) and WC fans (people) seem to be so extreme to the opposing camps.
Not being one of "the many of the crowd", I had mentioned to him that "they both still only wanted to get the lowest possible temps".

More discussion followed, WC-H20 proper, CLC's, Air & heatsinks, etc. Then as if he sensed a direction to the conversation said "Nitrogen".
When I mentioned those are rather in the esoteric realm for extreme hobbyist and not the mainstream, he replied "I can do that in 2 weeks tops".

OK... now many people I'm sure, have friendly conversations with outside experts not totally familiar with a given field of expertise.
This friend however is a type of "chill expert". From medicine to space, he's pretty much covered the bases on keeping things cold.
His statement was meant as a futher exploration for "proof of concept" with liquid/gas nitrogen being used in a "convection" closed loop system.
Admittedly he offered no fast solution for the eventual rechilling of the medium for heatsoak, so it was meant to be only a temporary (periodic) solution. Yet, in an inspired flash of his normal wit, he said "ya know,.. there just might be an easier solution to the heat/cool/chill cycle".
"Let me sleep on it", "I'll get back to you when I have a working model, a few weeks". A working model ??? Now I'm interested.

This guy loves to tinker things together. And usually they perform exceedingly well. (Love his beer flash freeze) I'm quite interested to see what develops since what he described is even smaller then the average H70 setup.. The fact that noone has yet "cracked" this PC delemma - intrigued him a great deal. He insists it seems this concept should have been mainstream years ago and in fact did not ever explore this particular field as it relates to such things in electronics. His field of expertise is rather far out there on the Bio research side. Can't wait to see what crazy thing comes out of this casual discussion. I'll keep you "in the loop" as thing progress....

More about : usefully developed

December 6, 2011 3:35:01 PM

Interesting concept. He will need to consider condensation in his solution. Things that are chilled to the levels possible with "exotic solutions" like this one tend to create a fair amount of condensation. Water and PC components really don't mix well. Then there is the matter of size, power, and let us not forget SAFETY!

Keep us posted. Thanks!
December 6, 2011 7:37:33 PM

Interesting, let us know the results since the problem could be "condensation".
Related resources
December 8, 2011 11:03:18 PM

Keep us posted with the progress.
December 16, 2011 1:57:47 PM

Well, since my friend and I last spoke.. we had another chance to discuss and examine a few of the charactistics of what is desired, required and the many forms it could take. Some quasi-exotic and some being more economical approaches. I'll just say - I'm becoming impressed so far.
Capsulized thermoletic sponges, molecular motion transfer/dampening systems, cryoletic absorbtion materials.. even ideas where some type of a thermal-hybrid blended material could be formulated and actually embedded into portions of the mainboard itself - acting like "wicking" points for connection to an external solid state thermal control device. Not too bad a concept for viable economies of scale.

Mainly though, it seems to be not so much an issue of heat itself being generated, as to be more an issue of wanting to use the waste heat itself to drive the heat reduction and cooling process of any chip. The most viable/economical end user solution. (Nitrogen it seems has too narrow or too wide a temperture range of duplicity in various thermal rates of expansion and contraction.. or something like that he says, to be practical for consumer use with its operation/consumption and other factoring basis). We agreed that a narrow range of say -20 to -30 degrees below any existing-state temperature would suffice for most general needs in this particular type of application. So.. hybrid material research is "it" or so we decided.
Ceramic hybrids at first seem best suited (offers wide economies of scale) but I figure (he agrees) they tend to spiral down in effectiveness over repeated hot/cold cycles. No.. we want "free energy" to drive the end solution and besides its already there, why not use it. Ideas are more about viability & zero maintenance then economy but I'm thinking it sure looks more possible than ever before. Now we'll be looking to do some testing.

to be continued...
December 28, 2011 3:30:10 AM

Use liquid helium =D
Get that baby cccccccccccooold!
January 5, 2012 2:08:04 AM

I'm looking forward to this and hopefully you can get us more updated i like the part where consumers can use them freely ^_^ well if i understand it correctly as i don't understand most words you use there, but anyways new knowledge is always welcome
February 1, 2012 9:48:11 PM

This is very interesting and seems feasible, cant wait for an update
February 8, 2012 5:16:33 PM

This topic has been moved from the section Overclocking to section CPU & Components by Jpishgar
!