Status
Not open for further replies.

4870x2card

Distinguished
Sep 15, 2011
so i bought a intel G840 cpu from newegg, it runs at 2.8ghz has a 3mb cache and it fits in a 1155 socket. I'm wondering how i should go about getting a motherboard that will best suit this cpu?

Solution
The question of what are you going to be doing with the system plays a major part in how we answer that. General usage you would be looking at something like the MSI H67MS-E43, Intel Desktop DH67CL or a ASRock H67M-GE are all nice bacis board that would work well with that processor. If you were looking for something more for gaming I would say something like the ASRock Z68 Extreme3 is a nice board at that price point or Asus P8Z68M-Pro is a better general use board.

Christian Wood
Intel Enthusiast Team
The question of what are you going to be doing with the system plays a major part in how we answer that. General usage you would be looking at something like the MSI H67MS-E43, Intel Desktop DH67CL or a ASRock H67M-GE are all nice bacis board that would work well with that processor. If you were looking for something more for gaming I would say something like the ASRock Z68 Extreme3 is a nice board at that price point or Asus P8Z68M-Pro is a better general use board.

Christian Wood
Intel Enthusiast Team

Solution
you should buy a motherboard thats compatible with 1155 cpus. there are cheap ones with very little features like the h61/h67 which are just very basic motherboards. The p67 is for OC and since your cpu cannot be OC'ed it wouldn't work out and you would be wasting your money. The Z68 is a full sized board supporting all features, it will be useful for ssd caching and upgrading to ivybridge cpus if you want to later.

I'd suggest just getting a decent quality H61/67 board for cheap to go with the pentium.

Status
Not open for further replies.