Sign in with
Your question

Asus P8Z77-V LX - Won't Boot & Red L.E.D

Last response: in Motherboards
December 12, 2012 4:54:37 PM

Hey,

So I am no computer expert, but I have been having some problems since installing an extra case fan. The extra fan is the same make and model (coolermaster) as the one that came from manufacturer. Since I installed it the computer won't boot. The fans, lights, hard drive, everything powers up for about a second and then stops. Sometimes, when I keep trying, it will boot just fine and work. I have attached a video so you can see what is going on.

I removed the CPU fan when I installed the new fan, and have installed it back into place, I know enough to be albe to do that correctly. Could it be this?

Aparently it could be some wires someone touching the case or the mobo but I don't see any signs of this.

Then, when recording the video I got the RED DRAM L.E.D come on and then starting flashing when it finally booted. What is going on?!! :fou: 

Also I am using 8gb carry ram. Its standard speed (not 1600)
And an Intel Core i5 3570k overclocked @ 4.4Ghz

Here is the link: http://youtu.be/DlLIFZNemgQ (10 mins left uploading time)

Thanks for your help

More about : asus p8z77 boot red

a c 121 V Motherboard
December 12, 2012 5:01:43 PM

When you removed and re-installed the CPU fan did you remove and then clean the thermal grease between the CPU and Heatsink, and then re-apply new compound?

If so, how much did you put on?

Your problem sounds exactly like it could be because of that.
December 12, 2012 6:12:22 PM

Thanks

I will put new thermal compound on now and tell you how it goes.
Related resources
a c 121 V Motherboard
December 12, 2012 6:21:21 PM

Make sure you clean both the heatsink and the CPU with rubbing alcohol before applying new compound.

Also, make sure you put a *very* thin layer on. It should almost be transparent.
a b V Motherboard
December 12, 2012 6:30:06 PM

that is memok, press the button and it will load pre set settings to help you boot, just push the button
a c 478 V Motherboard
December 12, 2012 8:06:56 PM

also make sure your cpu is seated.you may have pulled it slightly out of the cpu sockett.
December 12, 2012 8:36:39 PM

Hey,

So I replaced the Thermal Compound with new stuff. I used a small pee size in the middle, then applied the cooler on top to spread it out evenly. I was recommended by PC World to not spread it using a credit card or something.

Still same problem. Flickers on then off.
December 12, 2012 8:45:50 PM

Once I turn the power off, and the L.E.D goes off on the mobo, I can then try and power up again. After it fails, pressing the power button does absolutely nothing. I have to turn the power off again in order to try and boot it up.

I have tried it with another 700w PSU which is exactly the same as the one in my current build, and the same problem, so pretty sure its not PSU
a c 121 V Motherboard
December 12, 2012 8:50:07 PM

Reset your BIOS, it could be instability with your current OC.

If resetting your BIOS works, then you can start working on OCing it again.
December 12, 2012 8:51:56 PM

Righto,

I will try that. So this will make my CPU run standard clock? And I need to overclock it again afterwards?
December 12, 2012 8:56:09 PM

Ok,

I have removed the button battery from the mobo and I am leaving it for 10 minutes. Is this right?
December 12, 2012 9:02:14 PM

Removing the battery did not work. Same problem
December 12, 2012 9:12:34 PM

I also moved the jumper from the 1st and 2nd pin to the 2nd and 3rd, and back again
December 12, 2012 9:25:46 PM

Also, pressing the MemOK button does nothing. I can't get it to boot now
December 12, 2012 10:41:23 PM

Got computer to boot. Now there is no video? This is going from bad to worse
December 13, 2012 12:33:11 AM

Simple solution. Needed fan controller. I was drawing too much power using fan splitters and mobo.
a c 121 V Motherboard
December 13, 2012 1:40:31 PM

Well, that was easy. Glad you got it figured out!
!