Asus P8Z77-V LX - Won't Boot & Red L.E.D

iStamp

Honorable
Dec 12, 2012
Hey,

So I am no computer expert, but I have been having some problems since installing an extra case fan. The extra fan is the same make and model (coolermaster) as the one that came from manufacturer. Since I installed it the computer won't boot. The fans, lights, hard drive, everything powers up for about a second and then stops. Sometimes, when I keep trying, it will boot just fine and work. I have attached a video so you can see what is going on.

I removed the CPU fan when I installed the new fan, and have installed it back into place, I know enough to be albe to do that correctly. Could it be this?

Aparently it could be some wires someone touching the case or the mobo but I don't see any signs of this.

Then, when recording the video I got the RED DRAM L.E.D come on and then starting flashing when it finally booted. What is going on?!! :fou:

Also I am using 8gb carry ram. Its standard speed (not 1600)
And an Intel Core i5 3570k overclocked @ 4.4Ghz

Here is the link: http://youtu.be/DlLIFZNemgQ (10 mins left uploading time)

Thanks for your help

When you removed and re-installed the CPU fan did you remove and then clean the thermal grease between the CPU and Heatsink, and then re-apply new compound?

If so, how much did you put on?

Your problem sounds exactly like it could be because of that.

iStamp

Honorable
Dec 12, 2012
Hey,

So I replaced the Thermal Compound with new stuff. I used a small pee size in the middle, then applied the cooler on top to spread it out evenly. I was recommended by PC World to not spread it using a credit card or something.

Still same problem. Flickers on then off.

iStamp

Honorable
Dec 12, 2012
Once I turn the power off, and the L.E.D goes off on the mobo, I can then try and power up again. After it fails, pressing the power button does absolutely nothing. I have to turn the power off again in order to try and boot it up.

I have tried it with another 700w PSU which is exactly the same as the one in my current build, and the same problem, so pretty sure its not PSU

iStamp

Honorable
Dec 12, 2012
Righto,

I will try that. So this will make my CPU run standard clock? And I need to overclock it again afterwards?