Sign in with
Your question

Have i Fried my CPU? due to no Thermal Paste???

Last response: in CPUs
February 8, 2012 7:44:46 PM

Hi guy's, hoping someone can help us out.

I have a Acer Aspire 5535 Laptop and it has suddenly stopped working.

I get a blank screen upon trying to turn it on, i did a little Googling and i found out it could be the Thermal paste that could be to blame so i had a look.

I took it apart and found it was all dried up around the CPU and the Pad on the GPU was falling to bits :(  i removed all the Paste/Pad booted it up and it worked for about 20 seconds on so - enough time to log in etc but then shut off again :( 

I have since bought some Paste - Artic 5 and applie it to both CPU and GPU but it won't show anying on the screen it's just blank grrrrrrrrrr.

Anyone any ideas? could it be that i now need a new GPU? and if so are they easy to fit??

Thanks in advance, iawait any help/replies :) 

Lee.
February 8, 2012 7:50:23 PM

Just to add, the USB ports and cd drive seem to be ok and when i plug the charger in the Battery light lights up ok too.
a c 82 à CPUs
February 8, 2012 7:59:45 PM

probably yes you have, if you thought that bad thermal paste was bad then no paste is worse. you should have seen it get to bios and then off, certainly not to login stage. far far too long.
Related resources
February 8, 2012 8:18:09 PM

13thmonkey said:
probably yes you have, if you thought that bad thermal paste was bad then no paste is worse. you should have seen it get to bios and then off, certainly not to login stage. far far too long.

Thanks for the reply 13thmonkey.

Maybe i haven't fried it yet! I just swapped the Ram about and it has booted up!!! not sure if it will last though but it's something at least!

It did come up with a screen asking me if i wanted to start Windows normally etc as there's been a problem, damn right there had :lol: 
February 8, 2012 8:23:59 PM

Damn :( 

Turned it off screwed the back back on tried powering up and i get a black screen again :fou: 

Thought i'd fixed it aswell :( 
February 8, 2012 8:39:29 PM

Right, this is getting silly now!

I fiddled about with the Heatsink i barely moved it as it was all screwed securely in and turned it on again and it has WORKED! got to the log in screen!!

I don't understand it though - one min it will work then it won't.
a b à CPUs
February 8, 2012 9:08:47 PM

Hi :) 

Lol...I understand perfectly why it sometimes works and sometimes does not...but I own a laptop repair company...

The reason is that you overestimated your abilities...

A lappy is NOT a PC...anyone can take a PC apart in a couple of minutes....a lappy is totally different....

Included in that difference is the way that Cpus and Gpus are held down....

Sometimes they have ZIF sockets sometimes other types, sometimes a standard type heatsink/fan, sometimes one that goes over the cpu and gpu, sometimes they have a 4 way screw system, sometime 6 or 7 or 8....

I doubt you need me to go on....

You have missed a hold down screw somewhere...go back and look VERY CAREFULLY as the heatsink fan unit is at an angle (id bet on it) and sometimes is cooling and most times not, once moved.....like turning the lappy upside down to replace the bottom plastic hold down screws,,,,

If you cannot find the problem...take it to a Pro and pay them to fix it....

All the best Brett :) 
February 9, 2012 5:45:55 PM

Brett928S2 said:

Lol...I understand perfectly why it sometimes works and sometimes does not...but I own a laptop repair company...

The reason is that you overestimated your abilities...

A lappy is NOT a PC...anyone can take a PC apart in a couple of minutes....a lappy is totally different....

Included in that difference is the way that Cpus and Gpus are held down....

Sometimes they have ZIF sockets sometimes other types, sometimes a standard type heatsink/fan, sometimes one that goes over the cpu and gpu, sometimes they have a 4 way screw system, sometime 6 or 7 or 8....

I doubt you need me to go on....

You have missed a hold down screw somewhere...go back and look VERY CAREFULLY as the heatsink fan unit is at an angle (id bet on it) and sometimes is cooling and most times not, once moved.....like turning the lappy upside down to replace the bottom plastic hold down screws,,,,

If you cannot find the problem...take it to a Pro and pay them to fix it....

Hi Brett,

Thanks for that, very helpful.

I'm back to square one again hence me posting again! I will check all the screws as you suggest but i was going to get a new CPU - same one that's in it now, AMD Athlon X2 QL-60.

Do you think there is anything wrong with the CPU as it will turn on now and again or do you think it's ok and just needs adjusting slightly?

Thanks again buddy
a c 82 à CPUs
February 9, 2012 6:42:59 PM

sounds to me like something is a little loose,
February 9, 2012 8:27:27 PM

13thmonkey said:
sounds to me like something is a little loose,

Hi mate,

I have tightened every screw as much as i can and double checked them but now it won't show anything on the screen :( 

I'm on the verge of ordering a new CPU in the hope that will fix it, anyone think it may?
February 9, 2012 8:34:37 PM

leew99 said:
Hi mate,

I have tightened every screw as much as i can and double checked them but now it won't show anything on the screen :( 

I'm on the verge of ordering a new CPU in the hope that will fix it, anyone think it may?

I would never suggested changing a Laptop CPU, and it's not definite that this is the root cause of your system failures. We need temp reading if you do ever get to the internet download CoreTemp and tell us reading. Also press 'F1' or 'Del' to get into the BIOS temps will be given in here also if you can access it.
February 9, 2012 8:48:51 PM

majorgibly said:
I would never suggested changing a Laptop CPU, and it's not definite that this is the root cause of your system failures. We need temp reading if you do ever get to the internet download CoreTemp and tell us reading. Also press 'F1' or 'Del' to get into the BIOS temps will be given in here also if you can access it.

Hi majorgibly,

I shall take another look tomorrow ( bed time here :)  ) and post back.

I thought changing the CPU in this laptop would be simple no? it just seems to pop out with 1 latch - i was going to get the same CPU again like for like swap, i'm guessing it aint that easy though!

February 9, 2012 8:52:07 PM

leew99 said:
Hi majorgibly,

I shall take another look tomorrow ( bed time here :)  ) and post back.

I thought changing the CPU in this laptop would be simple no? it just seems to pop out with 1 latch - i was going to get the same CPU again like for like swap, i'm guessing it aint that easy though!

If you are fine with working with laptops then go for it, I find it hard to work in the confine spaces that the casing offers.
a c 82 à CPUs
February 9, 2012 9:24:47 PM

they may have used a bigger heat sink, fasfter fan with the bigger chips to get rid of the heat, latops are a lot more thermally constrained than desktops.
February 10, 2012 3:20:01 PM

Update as promised.

I currently have it on after trying and trying :)  I did a hard reset 30 secs on the off key whilst unplugged/battery out.

The problem is i have the back still off and i had this before and when i turned it off and on again i got a black screen again, very frustrating :( 

Does anyone have any ideas? the Fan was full of dust could it have burnt out/damaged the CPU??

Thanks.
February 10, 2012 3:32:07 PM

I would be leaning towards something more than a burned out processor, my experience with processors (at least most made in the last 10 years) are pretty rugged in terms of surviving overheating. The system shuts down to protect the overheating CPU from damage. Normally letting the system cool off and starting it up again would give a video signal until another shutdown.

Reading back on this post, the only evidence you have leaning you towards a failing/overheating CPU is the fact that you found the thermal paste to be caked up?
a c 82 à CPUs
February 10, 2012 4:33:49 PM

and that he ran it with out a heat sink & paste for 20s or so.
February 10, 2012 5:50:16 PM

majorgibly said:

Hi again,

I can't get CoreTemp to run - get an error message but i used Speedfan instead, results below.

I have had it running ok for over 2 hours now BUT i have not screwed the back on or risked turning it off and restarting!

February 10, 2012 5:54:40 PM

moarmhz said:
I would be leaning towards something more than a burned out processor, my experience with processors (at least most made in the last 10 years) are pretty rugged in terms of surviving overheating. The system shuts down to protect the overheating CPU from damage. Normally letting the system cool off and starting it up again would give a video signal until another shutdown.

Reading back on this post, the only evidence you have leaning you towards a failing/overheating CPU is the fact that you found the thermal paste to be caked up?

Hi buddy,

Yes, it was in a very poor state both on the CPU and the Thermal Pad on the GPU was falling to bits.

I did foolishly run it for a matter of seconds without any paste as 13thmonkey says :??: 

February 10, 2012 6:03:00 PM

The Fan and the exit looked like this! :non: 

February 10, 2012 7:28:20 PM

Admitting defeat now, screen just went Black whilst on grrrrrrr

Pro here we come!
a b à CPUs
February 11, 2012 9:14:39 PM

leew99 said:
Admitting defeat now, screen just went Black whilst on grrrrrrr

Pro here we come!

Take my word..its NOT the CPU....

a c 82 à CPUs
February 11, 2012 9:22:45 PM

care to help him with what it is? or care to help him with fault finding, that is what we do here right?
a b à CPUs
February 11, 2012 9:33:58 PM

13thmonkey said:
care to help him with what it is? or care to help him with fault finding, that is what we do here right?

I have already told him what I suspect..he didnt get the heatink fan unit securely and horizontally fixed down evenly....

Any more than that he needs to take it to a Pro...if it was in front of me I could fix it...but its not and as I cannot even see it, all I can do is offer advice based on 29 plus years experience...

a c 82 à CPUs
February 12, 2012 8:26:35 AM

well a lot of people on here need a bit more help and hand holding, thats why they come here. You've only been here for a little while, hopefully you'll get the idea these are not like your staff.
February 12, 2012 9:19:44 AM

Alrite guys, me again!

I've managed to get it on but sure how or why it has come one but it has.

I think though it will go back to the way it was when i attempt to restart it - did once or twice before.

Here's the Temp readings - they did go as high as 39c 32c and 37c though.

I'm possibly thinking it may need a Copper shim/Thermal Pad on the GPU instead of Paste - there was a Pad on there originally.

I have checked and double checked the Heatsink/Fan is securely screwed down correctly, seems fine can't tighten the screws anymore.

Thanks for trying to help guys, maybe i can bring it to you Brett, if it aint a simple fix where you based?
a c 82 à CPUs
February 12, 2012 9:28:48 AM

those temps are low if anything, or being read wrong. but they are certainly nothing to worry about. The core reading is from the chip, so this is definately not a customer reading from the hsf, and indicating a problem.

Your problem lies elsewhere not temps, I would start by looking closely at where the power enters the board if you have intermittent power problems. if the cpu was not seated it wouldn't work.
February 12, 2012 9:54:23 AM

Ok, thanks mate.

Frustrating the hell out of me this is! Got it to work then powers up then pop off it goes :fou: 
a b à CPUs
February 12, 2012 11:11:57 AM

leew99 said:
Alrite guys, me again!

I've managed to get it on but sure how or why it has come one but it has.

I think though it will go back to the way it was when i attempt to restart it - did once or twice before.

Here's the Temp readings - they did go as high as 39c 32c and 37c though.

http://i41.tinypic.com/wlxcbd.jpg

I'm possibly thinking it may need a Copper shim/Thermal Pad on the GPU instead of Paste - there was a Pad on there originally.

I have checked and double checked the Heatsink/Fan is securely screwed down correctly, seems fine can't tighten the screws anymore.

Thanks for trying to help guys, maybe i can bring it to you Brett, if it aint a simple fix where you based?

I wont take work from here as it would bias my advice, which is why I dont use my Company name here...

If the temps are ok (seem to be) then as said look at EVERY connection..by LOOK, I mean carefully remove and examine every pin and connector, no matter how good that connector looks, and blow them out with compressed air before you put each connector back on...

May 2, 2012 10:13:33 AM

leew99, Hi. I had to leave a message about some of your posts.. you never ever want to over-tighten screws! That's a fantastic way to crack something, and that's beyond bad.

Other than that - have you gotten a solution to your problem? I know it's been a couple of months since your last post, and I'd like to help out!
!