Have i Fried my CPU? due to no Thermal Paste???

leew99

Distinguished
Feb 8, 2012
Hi guy's, hoping someone can help us out.

I have a Acer Aspire 5535 Laptop and it has suddenly stopped working.

I get a blank screen upon trying to turn it on, i did a little Googling and i found out it could be the Thermal paste that could be to blame so i had a look.

I took it apart and found it was all dried up around the CPU and the Pad on the GPU was falling to bits :( i removed all the Paste/Pad booted it up and it worked for about 20 seconds on so - enough time to log in etc but then shut off again :(

I have since bought some Paste - Artic 5 and applie it to both CPU and GPU but it won't show anying on the screen it's just blank grrrrrrrrrr.

Anyone any ideas? could it be that i now need a new GPU? and if so are they easy to fit??

Thanks in advance, iawait any help/replies :)

Lee.

leew99

Distinguished
Feb 8, 2012
Just to add, the USB ports and cd drive seem to be ok and when i plug the charger in the Battery light lights up ok too.

leew99

Distinguished
Feb 8, 2012

Thanks for the reply 13thmonkey.

Maybe i haven't fried it yet! I just swapped the Ram about and it has booted up!!! not sure if it will last though but it's something at least!

It did come up with a screen asking me if i wanted to start Windows normally etc as there's been a problem, damn right there had :lol:

leew99

Distinguished
Feb 8, 2012
Damn :(

Turned it off screwed the back back on tried powering up and i get a black screen again :fou:

Thought i'd fixed it aswell :(

leew99

Distinguished
Feb 8, 2012
Right, this is getting silly now!

I fiddled about with the Heatsink i barely moved it as it was all screwed securely in and turned it on again and it has WORKED! got to the log in screen!!

I don't understand it though - one min it will work then it won't.

Hi :)

Lol...I understand perfectly why it sometimes works and sometimes does not...but I own a laptop repair company...

The reason is that you overestimated your abilities...

A lappy is NOT a PC...anyone can take a PC apart in a couple of minutes....a lappy is totally different....

Included in that difference is the way that Cpus and Gpus are held down....

Sometimes they have ZIF sockets sometimes other types, sometimes a standard type heatsink/fan, sometimes one that goes over the cpu and gpu, sometimes they have a 4 way screw system, sometime 6 or 7 or 8....

I doubt you need me to go on....

You have missed a hold down screw somewhere...go back and look VERY CAREFULLY as the heatsink fan unit is at an angle (id bet on it) and sometimes is cooling and most times not, once moved.....like turning the lappy upside down to replace the bottom plastic hold down screws,,,,

If you cannot find the problem...take it to a Pro and pay them to fix it....

All the best Brett :)

leew99

Distinguished
Feb 8, 2012

Hi Brett,

Thanks for that, very helpful.

I'm back to square one again hence me posting again! I will check all the screws as you suggest but i was going to get a new CPU - same one that's in it now, AMD Athlon X2 QL-60.

Do you think there is anything wrong with the CPU as it will turn on now and again or do you think it's ok and just needs adjusting slightly?

Thanks again buddy

leew99

Distinguished
Feb 8, 2012

Hi mate,

I have tightened every screw as much as i can and double checked them but now it won't show anything on the screen :(

I'm on the verge of ordering a new CPU in the hope that will fix it, anyone think it may?

majorgibly

Distinguished
Jan 17, 2011

I would never suggested changing a Laptop CPU, and it's not definite that this is the root cause of your system failures. We need temp reading if you do ever get to the internet download CoreTemp and tell us reading. Also press 'F1' or 'Del' to get into the BIOS temps will be given in here also if you can access it.

leew99

Distinguished
Feb 8, 2012

Hi majorgibly,

I shall take another look tomorrow ( bed time here :) ) and post back.

I thought changing the CPU in this laptop would be simple no? it just seems to pop out with 1 latch - i was going to get the same CPU again like for like swap, i'm guessing it aint that easy though!

majorgibly

Distinguished
Jan 17, 2011

If you are fine with working with laptops then go for it, I find it hard to work in the confine spaces that the casing offers.

leew99

Distinguished
Feb 8, 2012
Update as promised.

I currently have it on after trying and trying :) I did a hard reset 30 secs on the off key whilst unplugged/battery out.

The problem is i have the back still off and i had this before and when i turned it off and on again i got a black screen again, very frustrating :(

Does anyone have any ideas? the Fan was full of dust could it have burnt out/damaged the CPU??

Thanks.

moarmhz

Distinguished
Feb 10, 2012
I would be leaning towards something more than a burned out processor, my experience with processors (at least most made in the last 10 years) are pretty rugged in terms of surviving overheating. The system shuts down to protect the overheating CPU from damage. Normally letting the system cool off and starting it up again would give a video signal until another shutdown.

Reading back on this post, the only evidence you have leaning you towards a failing/overheating CPU is the fact that you found the thermal paste to be caked up?

leew99

Distinguished
Feb 8, 2012

Hi again,

I can't get CoreTemp to run - get an error message but i used Speedfan instead, results below.

9pusg4.jpg

I have had it running ok for over 2 hours now BUT i have not screwed the back on or risked turning it off and restarting!

leew99

Distinguished
Feb 8, 2012

Hi buddy,

Yes, it was in a very poor state both on the CPU and the Thermal Pad on the GPU was falling to bits.

I did foolishly run it for a matter of seconds without any paste as 13thmonkey says :??:

Hi :)

I have already told him what I suspect..he didnt get the heatink fan unit securely and horizontally fixed down evenly....

Any more than that he needs to take it to a Pro...if it was in front of me I could fix it...but its not and as I cannot even see it, all I can do is offer advice based on 29 plus years experience...

All the best Brett :)