Hdd making cracking noises.

kasparsnaumovs

Honorable
Dec 12, 2012
Hi, i just updated my rig, i bought a new motherboard gigabyte ga-970a-ds3. The problem is, that when i turn on my pc, my hdd spins up and starts making cracking noises and then turns off, if i unplug the sata cable from hdd, power on pc, and when it spins up, then plug the sata connector in, it works.

It worked just fine 5 minutes ago on my old motherboard, i tried putting a different hdd in, and it works fine.

Currently hdd works, because i did the above " i unplug the sata cable from hdd, power on pc, and when it spins up, then plug the sata connector in, it works " .

Thanks, Kaspars.

musicmanil

Honorable
Dec 10, 2012
unfortunately, when it comes to physical hard drive problems, there is not much you can do yourself to fix them other than troubleshoot and try different configurations hoping that one of them will work. When a hard drive starts making clicking noises and strange sounds, what most people do when the ABSOLUTELY need the information on the hard drive, than they will send it into a company that will recover your data. But the downside to that is that it is usually very expensive. What I would suggest is keep looking online for solutions relating to yours and keep trying different hardware configurations. If you really need the data off the drive, than one of the best options would be to put your drive back in your old computer and clone the contents to another new drive that works in your new computer build.

Skippy27

Distinguished
Nov 23, 2009
Backup your data from it while you can and replace.

I have dealt with hundreds of drives over the years and I can tell you when they start making noise and start "disappearing" you are playing with fire until you replace it.

Typically when a drive starts going bad it will begin clicking. This can be very settle and you may have to hold your ear close to it to hear. What it is doing is having a read/write error and it keeps trying a few times before it either succeeds or moves on. This is why these drives usually start making the machine slower as it is trying to deal with more and more trouble spots that are stalling it.

Laptop drives are horrible about this and I can tell you no matter what anyone says I NEVER recommend anyone putting their machines to sleep to "shutdown". In theory, sure you should be able to do that but I promise you over my 20+ years of support I see more people with bad drives that use sleep mode than those that dont. The hard headed ones, I may see 2 or 3 times every year or so.

kasparsnaumovs

Honorable
Dec 12, 2012
See, thats the problem i am trying to figure out, the drive is not working and making clicking sounds and sometimes not powering on only with this mobo, it does not power on if the sata cable is plugged in to mobo, i tested it at work, it worked fine on 3 different pc's.

Thanks for the replies :)