Sign in with
Your question
Solved

(HELP) intel i7 870 to hot!!

Last response: in CPUs
February 8, 2012 11:45:44 PM

Hi guys this is my first post, and I really don't know why my processor is running so hot, but nothing is really happening, everything runs smooth and I just realize yesterday; I was playing Crysis 2 (Regular "Hadrcore" game settings) and i felt some heat in my right leg (next to my computer case), this is my first build (i7 870 @ stock , 6 Gb @ 1600, 1 tb, HIS Radeon HD 6850 running dual monitors (1080p 37 in and 1024 19 in)) then I opened my case I found a little bit of dust, I already cleaned up everything and my case is fully open, the processor is air cooled with the shitty stock heat-sink; but since I havent OC'd at all it should run fine right? I ran a little test again with Crysis 2 @ Hardcore and this is what SpeedFan, Real Temp and Core Temp are giving me:

You can see in the graphic of Speed Fan that the CPU temp is at top 76-77 C but the cores temp is extremely high (92-99 C) and not even under 100% load (differ from 20-75/80), also the GPU never goes up 75 C and again nothing get slower or anything, idle the core and the CPU temps are at the 50-55 but then they differ when the load start kicking in
Is something that I can do besides changing the Heat-sink?, WTF is wrong here?

PD. sorry for my bad English, second language.

More about : intel 870 hot

a b à CPUs
February 8, 2012 11:53:01 PM

just to check, is this a labtop? coz they all run hot

if not, remove the heat sync, clean it off (along with the top of the cpu) with a soft cloth, goto a local pc shop and buy some thermal paste, apply about a pea sized dot onto the cpu, re apply and tighten the cpu heat sync
February 9, 2012 12:19:33 AM

Nope, is a mid-tower PC and the heatsink is well put
Related resources
a b à CPUs
February 9, 2012 12:22:03 AM

how is the ventilation in the area? if its in a closed off area it can overheat such as
a c 117 à CPUs
February 9, 2012 12:38:24 AM

What case do you have?
February 9, 2012 12:54:15 AM

Is an all aluminum "compaq" case, from a generic store, but anyhow is open
February 9, 2012 12:55:40 AM

The room temp is arround 24 C and my computer case is on the floor open
a c 117 à CPUs
February 9, 2012 1:14:49 AM

Pepe Trueno said:
The room temp is arround 24 C and my computer case is on the floor open

Are those temp readings from a gaming session?
What are your idle temps like = for instance like right now just doing Tom's forum.
Have you checked that the thermal compound hasn't dried up.
And that the push pins are correctly fastened.
My i7 860 idles in the low 30's = i do have a aftermarket HS though and very good airflow(room temp is 23C)
My temps do rise when gaming naturally but nowhere near 60C.
If you're in Mexico or further south you might want to get an aftermarket cooler.
February 9, 2012 1:55:46 AM

davcon: I have been using this computer for almost 4 months now, not a single hiccup, I have never had a trouble or anything, and all the temps around 50-60 C are the idle ones on the screenshot, the max ones were the ones while playing crysis 2 max "standar game" settings Dx 9, right now the temps are in te 55-65 range at idle.

PD, what is the "thermal compound"?

Best solution

a c 117 à CPUs
February 9, 2012 2:12:18 AM

Pepe Trueno said:
davcon: I have been using this computer for almost 4 months now, not a single hiccup, I have never had a trouble or anything, and all the temps around 50-60 C are the idle ones on the screenshot, the max ones were the ones while playing crysis 2 max "standar game" settings Dx 9, right now the temps are in te 55-65 range at idle.

PD, what is the "thermal compound"?

It's the paste used between the cooler and the cpu = used to aid thermal dissipation(draw heat away) from the cpu.
I would check behind your mobo and make sure the push-pins are seated all the way.(4 holes around cpu scocket)
If the cooler is not properly seated it will cause poor temps and also allow air in between the cooler and cpu(dry out the paste)
Don't remove the cooler unless you have new thermal paste to reapply.
Instructions for proper removal and or install.
It explains very well how to seat the heatsink too.
Plenty of people mess up installing Intel stock heatsinks properly.(stupid push pins)
They all have to be in proper position before you push them in.
Some mobo holes aren't always a uniformed size.
I got three push pins in no problem once and the fourth one took quite alot of force to push through.
When you do this go from one corner to another.
http://www.intel.com/support/processors/sb/CS-032036.ht...
February 9, 2012 6:40:12 PM

Yeah stupid pins, well I did everything one more time, even I went with a friend who runs a computer shop and put some quality paste (not going to spend 25 bucks on a paste tube), again I did the temps benchmarks, it went a little bit down but it still pretty hot I am having 10 degrees to Tj Mxx (99C), I will need to go with a aftermarket HS, but still, I haven't OC'd at all, pretty weird, this screenshot is at gaming, you can see the gpu 99% load and never goes up 75 C thus the airflow isn't the problem. It seem very weird that the "CPU" temp never goes up of 75 C but the cores are practically burning (95 C core #0), I am pretty angry with Intel shitty HS.

February 16, 2012 4:52:06 AM

Best answer selected by Pepe Trueno.
!