GTS 250 errors in OCCT at stock speeds

sixstring88

Distinguished
Jun 24, 2010
I am having a problem guys, apparently the graphics card I am currently using and have been for a little over a year now has been running at full speed constantly instead of down throttling. I figured out it was because of dual monitors but now I am having a different issue.. In games the temp gets up to as hot as 73 celsius and the fan speed gets up to about 60%. I ran OCCT to see if it was ok at those temps and whatnot cause it has seemed to be running hotter than usual lately and wouldn't you know not even a minute in I get errors when it is only up to about 72 or so. Part of the reason I ran the test is textures tend to popup when I am right up on them. I have a PNY GTS 250 1GB graphics card and when I ran the OCCT test one of them was 1024x768 not full screen and got errors in about 30 to 40 seconds and the second was my default res of 1366x768 fullscreen which took roughly the same amount of time (once it hit the early 70s it was game over). I also reseated the heatsink on my gpu which I thought helped for a minute but didn't (it isn't any worse though I have been trying to figure this out and had errors on an OCCT test like 3 days ago and it's been over heating and not throttling I thought figuring that out would fix it but nope lol). Someone PLEASE HELP! :??:

tigyi

Distinguished
Jan 7, 2012

Clean out the heatsink with canned air. I had balls of dust that couldn't be removed until I disassembled the heat sink. If you have a pet, it may be worse...

If you decide to disassemble the fan/heat sink, make sure to have some new thermal past on hand.