is it possible for a Game to corrupt a memory card

Last response: in Video Games
March 17, 2005 1:45:40 AM

i own a video rental store and i have a customer complaining that our game
"Corrupted" his memory card..i know its highly unlikely and i wont be
replacing a card....but i am just curious if this is at all possible

thanks
Anonymous
March 17, 2005 11:29:39 AM

A few things:

If the machine lost power on save or was reset, it will corrupt the game
saves. Not much to do but reformat the card (in browser).

Games can "occasinally" blow up a full memory card, ie try to write their
save, not enough room and try to force it. This happens on less well known
titles/companies.

The guy "shocked" his memory.

Since all software is use at own risk, you have no obligation to replace his
memory card. Unless the client is a heavy renter and you will recoup the $29
or so rapidly.

"Jim & Lorie Scott" <popvid1@vianet.ca> wrote in message
>i own a video rental store and i have a customer complaining that our game
>"Corrupted" his memory card..i know its highly unlikely and i wont be
>replacing a card....but i am just curious if this is at all possible
>
> thanks

Anonymous
March 17, 2005 12:57:23 PM

Yes it is possible...

Jim & Lorie Scott wrote:
> i own a video rental store and i have a customer complaining that our game
> "Corrupted" his memory card..i know its highly unlikely and i wont be
> replacing a card....but i am just curious if this is at all possible
>
> thanks

March 17, 2005 8:02:42 PM

"massivegrooves" <massivegrooves@massivegrooves.net> wrote in message

> Jim & Lorie Scott wrote:
>> i own a video rental store and i have a customer complaining that our
>> game "Corrupted" his memory card..i know its highly unlikely and i wont
>> be replacing a card....but i am just curious if this is at all possible
>>
>> thanks
>>

>> Yes it is possible...

But unless it's an official memory card, and the card itself is broken, not
just his gamesaves, is it really a valid reason for replacing his card?

Tommy
Anonymous
March 17, 2005 8:18:27 PM

Jim & Lorie Scott schrieb:
> i own a video rental store and i have a customer complaining that our game
> "Corrupted" his memory card..i know its highly unlikely and i wont be
> replacing a card....but i am just curious if this is at all possible

It is possible that a game destroys the game saves stored on the card,
but it is not possible that card stops working because the game did
something to it. In the worst case all game saves are lost and the card
needs to get reformated.
Sony recently had a problem with a demodisc that destroyed saves from
other games and then send customers who lost their saves a free game.

Jan
March 19, 2005 3:54:20 AM

"Jim & Lorie Scott" <popvid1@vianet.ca> wrote in message
> i own a video rental store and i have a customer complaining that our game
> "Corrupted" his memory card..i know its highly unlikely and i wont be
> replacing a card....but i am just curious if this is at all possible
>
> thanks

Well, I know that its sure as hell possible for a demo disc to corrupt a
memory card.

The "Viewtiful Joe 2" demo on a disc that Sony mailed out last December did
that quite nicely.

That was a very nice Christmas present from Sony. I lost saves for
Madden/NCAA, Gran Turismo, GTAVC, Ace Combat 04, and I forget what all else.

Cheers,
-Eric (Who's Sony demo disc ended up in about a dozen pieces, sitting on
shelf for a couple days as he thought about mailing all the pieces back to
Sony.)
!