is it possible for a Game to corrupt a memory card

i own a video rental store and i have a customer complaining that our game
"Corrupted" his memory card..i know its highly unlikely and i wont be
replacing a card....but i am just curious if this is at all possible

thanks
5 answers Last reply
More about game corrupt memory card

    A few things:

    If the machine lost power on save or was reset, it will corrupt the game
    saves. Not much to do but reformat the card (in browser).

    Games can "occasinally" blow up a full memory card, ie try to write their
    save, not enough room and try to force it. This happens on less well known
    titles/companies.

    The guy "shocked" his memory.

    Since all software is use at own risk, you have no obligation to replace his
    memory card. Unless the client is a heavy renter and you will recoup the $29
    or so rapidly.

    "Jim & Lorie Scott" <popvid1@vianet.ca> wrote in message
    >i own a video rental store and i have a customer complaining that our game
    >"Corrupted" his memory card..i know its highly unlikely and i wont be
    >replacing a card....but i am just curious if this is at all possible
    >
    > thanks

    Yes it is possible...

    "massivegrooves" <massivegrooves@massivegrooves.net> wrote in message

    > Jim & Lorie Scott wrote:
    >> i own a video rental store and i have a customer complaining that our
    >> game "Corrupted" his memory card..i know its highly unlikely and i wont
    >> be replacing a card....but i am just curious if this is at all possible
    >>
    >> thanks
    >>

    >> Yes it is possible...

    But unless it's an official memory card, and the card itself is broken, not
    just his gamesaves, is it really a valid reason for replacing his card?

    Tommy

    Jim & Lorie Scott schrieb:
    > i own a video rental store and i have a customer complaining that our game
    > "Corrupted" his memory card..i know its highly unlikely and i wont be
    > replacing a card....but i am just curious if this is at all possible

    It is possible that a game destroys the game saves stored on the card,
    but it is not possible that card stops working because the game did
    something to it. In the worst case all game saves are lost and the card
    needs to get reformated.
    Sony recently had a problem with a demodisc that destroyed saves from
    other games and then send customers who lost their saves a free game.

    Jan

    "Jim & Lorie Scott" <popvid1@vianet.ca> wrote in message
    > i own a video rental store and i have a customer complaining that our game
    > "Corrupted" his memory card..i know its highly unlikely and i wont be
    > replacing a card....but i am just curious if this is at all possible
    >
    > thanks

    Well, I know that its sure as hell possible for a demo disc to corrupt a
    memory card.

    The "Viewtiful Joe 2" demo on a disc that Sony mailed out last December did
    that quite nicely.

    That was a very nice Christmas present from Sony. I lost saves for
    Madden/NCAA, Gran Turismo, GTAVC, Ace Combat 04, and I forget what all else.

    Cheers,
    -Eric (Who's Sony demo disc ended up in about a dozen pieces, sitting on
    shelf for a couple days as he thought about mailing all the pieces back to
    Sony.)

Console Gaming Games Memory Card Video Video Games