Sign in with
Your question

Problem with 2400 & p8p67 pro (no boot/shorting sound)

Last response: in Systems
November 8, 2011 10:37:41 PM

Hi all. Ive been having a bit of an issue trying to get my new system up and running. Ive done quite a bit of internet searching, and have seen lots of ppl with p8p67 problems, but none quite like im having.

First the specs:

ASUS P8P67 pro rev 3.1
i5 2400
2x4GB DDR3 Kingston Hyper
Radeon 6870 1gb DDR5
2TB WD hdd
550W antec psu
Antec 300 case

I put it all together, and when I went to boot up, i hear a small chirp sound, and nothing happends. Sounds like a short. So i did a little troubleshooting, eventually removing the EATX 12v connector. The system will actually turn on, fans run, lights go, sounds like its doing its POST, but no visual on the monitor (says no connection). With it set like this i get a red led illuminating on the cpu_led.

To rule out any shorts the board was having to the case, i removed to board and left it sitting on a box, with nothing but the cpu and fan installed. still would make the chirp shorting sound with the 4 pin connector installed, and would kick the fan on and (i guess) attempt to POST with it removed.

ive tried just running one ram chip, with no difference.

I returned the board and acquired a new board. went thru the install procedure step by step once again, but alas, i have the EXACT same problem.

anyone have any insight on to what im doing wrongly? i can post pictures if anything will help
November 8, 2011 10:48:28 PM

Take everything i say with a grain of salt, cause i don't know much about computers yet... I think the problem may be your graphics card.

Have you tried switching out parts to see if it works with *different* parts?
m
l
November 8, 2011 10:59:14 PM

i have the same issue (shorting sound & nothing running) with the cpu power EATX 12v plugged in with the vid card installed, and removed.
m
l
Related resources
November 30, 2011 5:08:57 AM

I'm getting something similar with my new build with the p8p67 pro rev 3.1... I go to boot up and I get a short chirp and itappears as though it shorts then it turns off. Somehow it reboots and works fine after that. I was able to install windows though but it does this every time I boot. It won't recognize one of my sata HD either...

primer28 said:
Hi all. Ive been having a bit of an issue trying to get my new system up and running. Ive done quite a bit of internet searching, and have seen lots of ppl with p8p67 problems, but none quite like im having.

First the specs:

ASUS P8P67 pro rev 3.1
i5 2400
2x4GB DDR3 Kingston Hyper
Radeon 6870 1gb DDR5
2TB WD hdd
550W antec psu
Antec 300 case

I put it all together, and when I went to boot up, i hear a small chirp sound, and nothing happends. Sounds like a short. So i did a little troubleshooting, eventually removing the EATX 12v connector. The system will actually turn on, fans run, lights go, sounds like its doing its POST, but no visual on the monitor (says no connection). With it set like this i get a red led illuminating on the cpu_led.

To rule out any shorts the board was having to the case, i removed to board and left it sitting on a box, with nothing but the cpu and fan installed. still would make the chirp shorting sound with the 4 pin connector installed, and would kick the fan on and (i guess) attempt to POST with it removed.

ive tried just running one ram chip, with no difference.

I returned the board and acquired a new board. went thru the install procedure step by step once again, but alas, i have the EXACT same problem.

anyone have any insight on to what im doing wrongly? i can post pictures if anything will help

m
l
!