[LF] Low cost I7 2600k Build

Hi everyone,

I have limited knowledge with building computers and would like to know whats the most affordable I7 2600k Build? I intend to use many heavily threaded software and do not weigh too much priority for gaming. (Although I would like to be able to someday) I do not care if parts have been used and would like to be able to connect it to two monitors.

What parts do I need to purchase to build my computer from scratch? (Can you guys recommend me some parts)

The spec's I'm looking for is:
-I7 2600k
-16gb+ DDR3 ram
-Mobo that is overclock friendly
-Decent Used Video Card, (What is this SLI?)
-SSD Hard drive preferred.
-Would I be able to use my old sound blaster audigy 2 card as well as my old dvd drive? (From years back)
6 answers Last reply
More about cost 2600k build
  1. Yes to use your old Sound card and DVD Drive.

SLI is using 2 video cards linked together. normally only used for high end gaming.

what are the programs your going to be using.
  2. Hi there and welcome. Just to help us out, could you have a look at http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/261222-31-build-advice and fill out the details?

SLI is nVidia's implementation of multiple GPU rendering. AMD has Crossfire as its method of multi-GPU rendering.
    Most modern graphics cards support up to 2 monitors through a D-Sub and/or DVI output(s).

Quote:
    Would I be able to use my old sound blaster audigy 2 card as well as my old dvd drive?

Could you give some more details on these items? Like what connector they use (PCI/PCI-E 1x and PATA/SATA).

I assume you have a power supply, case, OS?
  3. mattyg_nz said:
    Hi there and welcome. Just to help us out, could you have a look at http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/261222-31-build-advice and fill out the details?

SLI is nVidia's implementation of multiple GPU rendering. AMD has Crossfire as its method of multi-GPU rendering.
    Most modern graphics cards support up to 2 monitors through a D-Sub and/or DVI output(s).

Quote:
    Would I be able to use my old sound blaster audigy 2 card as well as my old dvd drive?

Could you give some more details on these items? Like what connector they use (PCI/PCI-E 1x and PATA/SATA).

I assume you have a power supply, case, OS?

Approximate Purchase Date: (e.g.: this week (the closer the better))

Hi,

I do not have power supply and case. I believe that this is my sound card: http://www.amazon.com/Creative-Labs-Blaster-Audigy-Internal/dp/B0000CG4DI

Budget Range: $750~

System Usage from Most to Least Important: Resource intensive software (not many graphics), VMs, gaming

Parts Not Required: keyboard, mouse, monitor, speakers, OS

Preferred Website(s) for Parts: Any good deals from wherever, used parts accepted.

Country of Origin:

Parts Preferences: Intel I7 2600k

Overclocking: Yes

SLI or Crossfire: Maybe SLI later.
  4. Do you know what an SSD vs HDD is?
  5. Emelth said:
    Do you know what an SSD vs HDD is?

Something about solid state is more durable b/c no moving parts and being much faster. I do not need this though and willing to buy a used hdd drive for now and wait some years for ssd to become cheaper.
  6. Alright good plus a SSD wouldnt be able to hold as much as a HDD they are very limited on space. Go with either a Seagate Barracuda or Samsung Spinpoint F3 for HDD, if you stillhave enough room at the end of your build look at the Crucial M4 SSDs
Ask a new question

Read More

Homebuilt Intel i7 Build Systems