[LF] Low cost I7 2600k Build

jyip

Distinguished
Nov 8, 2011
Hi everyone,

I have limited knowledge with building computers and would like to know whats the most affordable I7 2600k Build? I intend to use many heavily threaded software and do not weigh too much priority for gaming. (Although I would like to be able to someday) I do not care if parts have been used and would like to be able to connect it to two monitors.

What parts do I need to purchase to build my computer from scratch? (Can you guys recommend me some parts)

The spec's I'm looking for is:
-I7 2600k
-16gb+ DDR3 ram
-Mobo that is overclock friendly
-Decent Used Video Card, (What is this SLI?)
-SSD Hard drive preferred.
-Would I be able to use my old sound blaster audigy 2 card as well as my old dvd drive? (From years back)

mattyg_nz

Distinguished
Oct 10, 2011
Hi there and welcome. Just to help us out, could you have a look at http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/261222-31-build-advice and fill out the details?

SLI is nVidia's implementation of multiple GPU rendering. AMD has Crossfire as its method of multi-GPU rendering.
Most modern graphics cards support up to 2 monitors through a D-Sub and/or DVI output(s).

Would I be able to use my old sound blaster audigy 2 card as well as my old dvd drive?
Could you give some more details on these items? Like what connector they use (PCI/PCI-E 1x and PATA/SATA).

I assume you have a power supply, case, OS?

jyip

Distinguished
Nov 8, 2011

Approximate Purchase Date: (e.g.: this week (the closer the better))

Hi,

I do not have power supply and case. I believe that this is my sound card: http://www.amazon.com/Creative-Labs-Blaster-Audigy-Internal/dp/B0000CG4DI

Budget Range: $750~

System Usage from Most to Least Important: Resource intensive software (not many graphics), VMs, gaming

Parts Not Required: keyboard, mouse, monitor, speakers, OS

Preferred Website(s) for Parts: Any good deals from wherever, used parts accepted.

Country of Origin:

Parts Preferences: Intel I7 2600k

Overclocking: Yes

SLI or Crossfire: Maybe SLI later.

jyip

Distinguished
Nov 8, 2011

Something about solid state is more durable b/c no moving parts and being much faster. I do not need this though and willing to buy a used hdd drive for now and wait some years for ssd to become cheaper.

Emelth

Distinguished
Alright good plus a SSD wouldnt be able to hold as much as a HDD they are very limited on space. Go with either a Seagate Barracuda or Samsung Spinpoint F3 for HDD, if you stillhave enough room at the end of your build look at the Crucial M4 SSDs