ati vs nvidia which card should i choose at 190$

Status
Not open for further replies.

nibir2011

Distinguished
Aug 28, 2011
there are a lot of cards to choose from at this range but the main problem is distinguishing the best graphics card should it be ati or nvidia both of the cards have their own features but with nvidia's physx and other cool features it can be easily thought that nvidia is way ahead of ati just like intels 2nd generation processors are ahead of phenom processors.But is it right to think ? so i want to ask the toms hardware community to give some light at the burning question

WHICH ONE IS BETTER "ATI" OR "NVIDIA"?

guys please tell me the issues you faced with the cards.

i will be very happy if you reffer me a card at around 190$.

Solution

i Wouldn't really worry to much about Physx in games, i use it in 3DS MAX for simulation demolition and stuff, Same with CUDA, most of these technologies just seem to be from their workstation class cards. I prefer NVIDIA cards cas they have these technologies but thats because i use them. I doubt they make a significant difference in games unless the game is optimised for it.

mauler184

Distinguished
Jun 11, 2011
At this price range your gonna want to go with a nvidia, anything under 200 your better off with an amd card. the best 200 dollar card right know is a http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814130604

its 230 after rebates and you get the batman game free :)

If you really are on the amd side then i would recomend the 6870 but the nvidia card is MUCH better.

http://www.hwcompare.com/8890/geforce-gtx-560-ti-vs-radeon-hd-6870/

nibir2011

Distinguished
Aug 28, 2011
mauler184
i am not with ati but i just want to distinguish the better card the card you recommended
is more than my budget and it is also a power hungry and hot card [temperature at full load] so it is not suitable for me .evga cards are not available in my region.

mauler184

Distinguished
Jun 11, 2011
But they key point i forgot was the Lifetime waranty. Ive had friends who give a card in 4 years later and get a better card in return. Im not going to argue about the 6870, its one sexy ass card. But personally i have never had a problem with evga, and the customer support is amazing.

eyefinity

Distinguished
Mar 6, 2010
Physx is mostly just a marketing trick - hardly any games use it. I think the best thing you can do is get that cheaper 560 Ti if you were planning on buying the batman game anyway. If not the 6870 is just so cheap in comparison while not being a great deal slower.

The only drawback of the 6870 is it's not a great overclocker so that might be an issue if you were planning on that. It's ok, just not great.

nibir2011

Distinguished
Aug 28, 2011
what about NVIDIA CUDA technology ,NVIDIA 3D Vision ,NVIDIA PureVideo HD technology do i really need these features?

n.b. i do not have multiple display and my monitors display is 1366*768

eyefinity

Distinguished
Mar 6, 2010
The basic rule is, if you have to ask what it is then you probably don't need it. Both companies have similar types of technology for example AMD has MLAA, Stream, HD3D, Avivo and Eyefinity to Nvidia's PhysX, Cuda, 3dvision and Purevideo.

At your resolution even a 6870 is probably overkill btw, you could easily get away with something cheaper like a 6850 or gtx 460.

nicelynicely

Distinguished
Sep 10, 2011

i Wouldn't really worry to much about Physx in games, i use it in 3DS MAX for simulation demolition and stuff, Same with CUDA, most of these technologies just seem to be from their workstation class cards. I prefer NVIDIA cards cas they have these technologies but thats because i use them. I doubt they make a significant difference in games unless the game is optimised for it.

Solution
Status
Not open for further replies.