Sign in with
Your question

Can't decide on case for gaming build.

Last response: in Components
February 9, 2012 5:12:53 AM

I'm planning ahead for my first build (will be in about 2 months) and I've been looking at a lot of cases. I want this computer to last me a good amount of time (4 years too much to ask?), so I want to make sure the case will be sufficient. I'll also be spending around $100 on the case.

Some features that I want are:
USB 3.0 Ports, preferably with a header to motherboard so I don't have to go through the back of the computer case. This would not really be necessary if I could use a USB 3.0 PCI port thing.
Fan filters on as many parts as possible, and easy to access/clean too.
Enough space for my parts and has decent airflow.
Mid or full tower and supports a regular ATX motherboard.
Fans that really move the air, and stay reasonably quite too.
Looks nice, painted exterior and interior (unless it doesn't have a side window). LED Fans would be cool too, doesn't really matter what color.
Bottom mounted PSU, I'm not sure about how top mounted works comparatively.

I'll be using this computer for gaming mostly (BF3 on high/ultra at 50 or 60fps would be awesome) and would not move it very often. The setup that I'm currently thinking of is...

Case:
COOLER MASTER Storm Enforcer
This seems to be along my expectations. If you've had any personal experience with it or have another suggestion please let me know.

PSU:
Thermaltake TR2 RX 750W Bronze

Motherboard:
GIGABYTE GA-Z68X-UD3H-B3 LGA 1155 Intel Z68

GPU:
MSI N560GTX-Ti Twin Frozr II 2GD5/OC GeForce GTX 560 Ti 2GB

CPU:
Intel Core i5-2500K Sandy Bridge 3.3GHz

Memory/RAM:
G.SKILL Ripjaws X Series 8GB
I read a review on on case saying that the heatsink on their RAM interfered with their aftermarket CPU Fan/Heatsink. Would this be a problem with newer cases?

HDD:
Seagate Barracuda 500GB 7200RPM

Optical Drive:
ASUS 24X DVD Burner

Other:
Rosewill RNX-N300 Wireless N Adapter
COOLER MASTER Megaflow 200mm Red LED
COOLER MASTER Hyper 212 EVO

This will hopefully come to around $1,000. Some of the cases I've looked at so far (in addition to the CM Storm above) are the Lian Li Lancool, SilverStone Precision, and particularly the Sentey Extreme Division Wolf Black. I'm really just wondering about the case and what I would need to get to accomodate the rest of the build.

Thanks.
February 9, 2012 6:15:23 AM

go for the fractal design arc or coolmaster haf. they look epic, and have good air follow and shiz.
m
l
Related resources
a b ) Power supply
February 9, 2012 6:22:21 AM

^+1.i forgot to see that :( 
m
l
a c 111 ) Power supply
February 9, 2012 6:25:45 AM

The problem with the ram would depend on the heatsink you choose, not the ram. With the 212 you shouldn't have any problems. I would throw in the cm storm scout, haf 922m, haf 932, corsair 400r, and 500r.
m
l
February 9, 2012 7:50:09 AM

For the i just bought :

Nox Blaze X2 Project.

http://es.nox-xtreme.com/products_uk.php?cat=1&type=0&id=68&op=2

A bit more expensive than your original case but:

- Excellent cable management
- Lots of Room
- Loads of bays for HDD/SDDs (Hot swap)
- Top notch ventilation
- Silent
- 2 PCs !!

Cons:

- Weight
- Massive Size ( for me it is not a con )

I had several boxes but i had always to upgrade because of size and ventilation constrains. Now i know i wont do it anymore.

m
l
a c 158 ) Power supply
February 9, 2012 11:23:53 AM

PSU: Rosewill Capstone series is excellent and there is a 20% discount for the next 2 days (EMCNHNA26) http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168... Another great option is Seasonic S12II 620W on sale right now: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168... At those price points I would go for the Capstone...

The Fractal Design Define R3 is a Shell Shocker deal starting at 1PM PST today. Normally $109.99 and on sale for $79.99. http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
m
l
a b ) Power supply
February 9, 2012 4:46:37 PM

Corsair Carbide Series 400R , USB 3.0 headers. 120mm fans x 3 . Its essentially designed to be partnered with the H100 in as it has a top panel location for 120mm x 2 or 140 mm x 2 fans the same on the side panel . Top location is too close to the mobo for a true water loop though . But fills the usb 3.0 and multiple fan criteria
m
l
February 9, 2012 5:13:15 PM

Just go to newegg, computer hardware, cases, sort by "best rating", and narrow the field to your desired price. It will show you the ones most preferred by gamers for that price.

EASY
m
l
February 9, 2012 7:11:07 PM

Ya, I second what JDriggers said. Hit newegg and modify your search and you will see the best options.
m
l
February 9, 2012 7:47:30 PM

JDriggers said:
Just go to newegg, computer hardware, cases, sort by "best rating", and narrow the field to your desired price. It will show you the ones most preferred by gamers for that price.

EASY

You can't really go wrong choosing a case. It's only a metal box to protect your components; everything else is only a matter of opinion, but like he said, just go to Newegg and click away. Easy as 1, 2, 3. Just like Michael said.

m
l
February 9, 2012 8:16:40 PM

Hi,
Tbh mate I have same CPU and GPU combo (1gb 560ti) and I have found 560ti a bit dissapointing, its well worth spending a bit more on something like a 570- 7070 otherwise u are just loosing all the potential of the CPU.
m
l
February 9, 2012 8:52:36 PM

I have a Coolermaster HAF 912, very roomy, nice quiet 200mm red LED fan in the front, black interior, but no window. (dust filters on PSU and front intake)
It doesn't have front USB3 however I found it very easy to build in and plenty of room for all components! One point to note, rear 120mm fan (mine atleast) seems to be rather lound, a motor like sound, so I will be replacing that, other than that I've been very pleased with it!

and about £65 in the UK!

Coolermaster HAF 912 Plus
m
l
a c 111 ) Power supply
February 9, 2012 10:13:07 PM

ewoore said:
Hi,
Tbh mate I have same CPU and GPU combo (1gb 560ti) and I have found 560ti a bit dissapointing, its well worth spending a bit more on something like a 570- 7070 otherwise u are just loosing all the potential of the CPU.

How is the 560ti dissapointing? Please elaborate.
m
l
a c 111 ) Power supply
February 9, 2012 10:13:25 PM

Louis_96 said:
I have a Coolermaster HAF 912, very roomy, nice quiet 200mm red LED fan in the front, black interior, but no window. (dust filters on PSU and front intake)
It doesn't have front USB3 however I found it very easy to build in and plenty of room for all components! One point to note, rear 120mm fan (mine atleast) seems to be rather lound, a motor like sound, so I will be replacing that, other than that I've been very pleased with it!

and about £65 in the UK!

Coolermaster HAF 912 Plus

Mine is nice and quiet! :sleep: 
m
l
February 10, 2012 3:22:13 AM

Thanks for all the input guys, I think I'll go with the Fractal Design Arc Midi that hellfire24 suggested. It's super sleek and awesome looking, and the multiple optional fans should be more than enough for my needs. I also decided to go with the Corsair Enthusiast Series power supply that amuffin recommended.

Once again, thanks.
m
l
a b ) Power supply
February 10, 2012 6:14:28 AM

;)  all the best!
m
l
February 10, 2012 3:33:29 PM

You can't go wrong with a corsair PSU. I swear by them and won't build a gaming rig without it.
m
l
February 10, 2012 3:45:26 PM

Pois0nF34r said:
I'm planning ahead for my first build (will be in about 2 months) and I've been looking at a lot of cases. I want this computer to last me a good amount of time (4 years too much to ask?), so I want to make sure the case will be sufficient. I'll also be spending around $100 on the case.

Some features that I want are:
USB 3.0 Ports, preferably with a header to motherboard so I don't have to go through the back of the computer case. This would not really be necessary if I could use a USB 3.0 PCI port thing.
Fan filters on as many parts as possible, and easy to access/clean too.
Enough space for my parts and has decent airflow.
Mid or full tower and supports a regular ATX motherboard.
Fans that really move the air, and stay reasonably quite too.
Looks nice, painted exterior and interior (unless it doesn't have a side window). LED Fans would be cool too, doesn't really matter what color.
Bottom mounted PSU, I'm not sure about how top mounted works comparatively.

I'll be using this computer for gaming mostly (BF3 on high/ultra at 50 or 60fps would be awesome) and would not move it very often. The setup that I'm currently thinking of is...

Case:
COOLER MASTER Storm Enforcer
This seems to be along my expectations. If you've had any personal experience with it or have another suggestion please let me know.

PSU:
Thermaltake TR2 RX 750W Bronze

Motherboard:
GIGABYTE GA-Z68X-UD3H-B3 LGA 1155 Intel Z68

GPU:
MSI N560GTX-Ti Twin Frozr II 2GD5/OC GeForce GTX 560 Ti 2GB

CPU:
Intel Core i5-2500K Sandy Bridge 3.3GHz

Memory/RAM:
G.SKILL Ripjaws X Series 8GB
I read a review on on case saying that the heatsink on their RAM interfered with their aftermarket CPU Fan/Heatsink. Would this be a problem with newer cases?

HDD:
Seagate Barracuda 500GB 7200RPM

Optical Drive:
ASUS 24X DVD Burner

Other:
Rosewill RNX-N300 Wireless N Adapter
COOLER MASTER Megaflow 200mm Red LED
COOLER MASTER Hyper 212 EVO

This will hopefully come to around $1,000. Some of the cases I've looked at so far (in addition to the CM Storm above) are the Lian Li Lancool, SilverStone Precision, and particularly the Sentey Extreme Division Wolf Black. I'm really just wondering about the case and what I would need to get to accomodate the rest of the build.

Thanks.

if you don't mind spending $180 on a case. By far the base case is the cooler master half x. http://www.amazon.com/Cooler-Master-SuperSpeed-Interior...
m
l
a b ) Power supply
February 11, 2012 1:43:11 AM

gbmike said:
You can't go wrong with a corsair PSU. I swear by them and won't build a gaming rig without it.

i agree but sometimes even highest quality components fail and that's known as BADLUCK :sweat:  my frnd!!
m
l
!