Crysis 2 crashing with GTX 570 sli

thebski

Distinguished
Aug 19, 2009
Hey guys,

I'm having problems with Crysis 2 crashing on me after a few minutes of playing the game. Here are my system specs...

i7 920 @ 4.0 Ghz
Seasonic M12D 850W
6 gb Corsair XMS3 @ 1600 Mhz
EVGA GTX 570 Superclocked x 2
Samsung 23" x 3 @ 5760 x 1080

I have the Steam version of Crysis 2 and have the updated graphics package. I'm trying to run the game 1 notch below ultra settings mainly due to the memory bottleneck of the 570's at such a high resolution, but the game keeps crashing. The game exits out and says the display driver stopped.

I had questioned if it was maybe an unstable overclock on one of my cards, but I don't think that's it because I can run Crysis at the same resolution on very high detail and it loads my cards to the max. I've been able to play for as long as 2 hours at a time and the game never crashes. My cards get hotter playing Crysis at the max settings (except AA) than any other game, so I would think if the overclock could stand up to that it will stand up to anything.

Anyone have any other ideas on what to check? It seems to play every other game fine.

farrengottu

Distinguished
Aug 28, 2011
the problem is you only have a processor, J/K your missing a few posibly usefull system specs.
im running a i7 950 and even with a nice cooler 4.0GHz is a stretch. try lowering that to 3.2 or somewhere around there. and see if that fixes that.
also if your video cards dont blow air out the back make sure that their hot air has somewhere to go, other than back into the card.

NuclearShadow

Distinguished
Sep 20, 2007
A few ideas would be, Is your game patched to the current version?
Have you installed the most recent videocard drivers?
How are temps?
Is your house haunted, and who are you gonna call?

*edit* Just noticed you edited your post and gave more detail. Cease any overclock and test the game, see if it crashes then.

thebski

Distinguished
Aug 19, 2009
Yea I accidentally hit submit before I was done typing the post.

My temps are all good. I turn my graphics cards fans to 80% and when both are at 99% load they will hang in there right around 70-72 depending on ambient temp. I have a Thermalright Ultra 120 Extreme CPU cooler and in game I run anywhere between 50-55 depending on the core. I monitor all my temps through EVGA Precision and Coretemp via a Logitech G13 gamepad display.

thebski

Distinguished
Aug 19, 2009
I think I got a really good CPU. My 920 is a D0 stepping and I only had to bump the voltage to 1.2375v to hit 4.0. I ran Prime95 for about 8 hours and it never failed. I meant to run it for 24 but forgot to turn my sleep off so the pc went to sleep after 8 hours. I do need to blow my computer out as it's been a month or so since I've done it, but I have an HAF X case so like I said the CPU usually runs below 55.

I overclocked the computer the day I built it and that was in August of 2009. It's been a 24/7 overclock since then. It's never failed any game or program because of CPU so I'd be really surprised if it's a problem with the CPU overclock.

I should also add that the game worked fine before I added the DirectX 11 patch and high res textures.