Sign in with
Your question

Is this a good Motherboard

Last response: in Motherboards
December 13, 2012 5:23:19 AM

I'm trying to get advice and input on my final build.

CPU: AMD FX-6300 3.5GHz 6-Core Processor ($129.99 @ Amazon)
Motherboard: ASRock 970 Extreme3 ATX AM3+ Motherboard ($74.99 @ Newegg)
Memory: G.Skill Ares Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($37.99 @ Newegg)
Case: Cougar Solution (Black) ATX Mid Tower Case ($39.99 @ NCIX US)

I already have a Corsair Builder Series 500W PSU, and I'm re using the HDD and optical drive from old PC.

I will be gaming, audio and video editing, schoolwork, the usual on this PC.

My main question for the people of this section of the forum is, is there a better MoBo for that price? If so, what makes it better? I'm new to building and buying and not sure on brands and technology to much.

My main concerns are cooling, ability to expand and upgrade, overclocking, and up-to-date peripherals.

More about : good motherboard

December 13, 2012 5:29:27 AM

You should be fine in terms of your needs. Cooling will rely more on your case and airflow, but for overclocking and installing some new components you should be fine.
Just be sure to update the motherboard BIOS if it isn't already.
Good luck.
m
l
December 13, 2012 6:02:48 AM

Oh I wasn't sure if Motherboards had heat sinks or what not. Thanks. Is ASRock a reliable brand? And are the newegg reviews spot on at all?
m
l
Related resources
December 13, 2012 8:02:10 AM

Yeah motherboards come with heatsinks, but anything you add to it you will need your own form of cooling(CPU, RAM, GPU). All video cards come with their own designs so you won't have to worry about that. RAM temperatures you don't really have to worry about either. So basically the only thing you need a heatsink for is the CPU, and almost all CPU's come with a heatsink so you should be fine.
I can't say if they are reliable as I have never owned ASRock products before, but I do look at some reviews and forums and hear good things about them.
I wouldn't be too fond of the Newegg reviews. You should do some research and read around review sites and forums before you buy the board though. A lot of people claim to fix problems with a BIOS update, but many other people claim to still run into problems.
In the end, the decision is up to you.
m
l
December 13, 2012 12:43:18 PM

Okay, what are some reliable review sites? And I will be getting a GPU later on down the road, when I get more money to. As for now I'm just re-using my 5570, as it hasn't done me wrong and does okay, as my computer now is definitely lacking on the processor end more so than the GPU. I was looking at a 7850 2G model, also something I left out is, the above build is on a 320 USD budget, i was just trying to see what else I could get in that range as well as if I could improve on anything. I know next to nothing about aftermarket heatsinks/coolers though.
m
l
December 13, 2012 1:55:11 PM

It's a decent one :) 
m
l
December 13, 2012 6:03:52 PM

Lol, could I do better for the same price?
m
l
December 14, 2012 12:52:33 AM

musicmelody said:
Okay, what are some reliable review sites? And I will be getting a GPU later on down the road, when I get more money to. As for now I'm just re-using my 5570, as it hasn't done me wrong and does okay, as my computer now is definitely lacking on the processor end more so than the GPU. I was looking at a 7850 2G model, also something I left out is, the above build is on a 320 USD budget, i was just trying to see what else I could get in that range as well as if I could improve on anything. I know next to nothing about aftermarket heatsinks/coolers though.

You're posting in one. Also do a google search and I'm sure you'll find plenty. You could probably find a CPU/motherboard bundle for $320 if you do a search around. I saw a i5 3570k/mobo bundle going for $350 a while back.
7850 is a decent card, should serve you well. You won't need any aftermarket heatsinks/coolers for what you plan to do.
Cheers
m
l
!