System for WoW Cata

ajh1979

Distinguished
Oct 6, 2011
Hi Guys

Im ordering the below system today and would like any info that anyone could provide on the performance this system should give on WoW Cataclysm

Would I be able to run it maxed out on Ultra on this system?

Windows Home Premium 64 Bit OS
Cooler Master Elite 430 case
Additional 120mm Blue LED case cooling fans fron & rear
Intel Core i7 2600k Overclocked to 4ghz
Arctic Cooling Freezer 7 Pro Rev 2 CPU Cooler
Asus P8Z68-V LE motherboard
8 GB Corsair PC3 -12800 1600MHz DDR3 Memory (2 x 4gb sticks)
AMD Radeon HD 6970 2048MB (Asus or Palit version dependant on stock)
40GB Corsair Force SSD (this is used in SSD caching to boost performance)
1000GB 7200RPM Hard Drive
SSD Caching Configuration
Samsung Blu Ray Rom / DVD RW Combi Drive
Sony 24 x DVD RW Drive
Corsair Ultra Low Noise 600W PSU
23” LG IPS236V Monitor

Thank You

ajh1979

Distinguished
Oct 6, 2011
Hi yes I know exactly what you are saying its just I have a very good price on this system as its on offer with a company I know so if I change anything I wont get the offer as it will be a new build.

My son wants to play Cata on the system and I want to use it for work and some photography and editing.

I was just hoping someone would be able to tell me if this system would do a good job on wow and be capable of playing on ultra everything maxed out? (I should of explained better)

Thank You

DelroyMonjo

Distinguished
The additional 120mm Blue LED case fan will certainly add some ambience to a game which can play very well on a system 1/4 that price.
Better monitors can be had for the $$$.
I guess you have some reason for I7 2600K won't give you won' t offer an advantage over a less expensive 2500K.
I guess you have some reason for a Blu Ray and another DVD RW?
After reading the review on the Arctic Cooling Freezer 7 Pro, I notice that they have a Choking Hazard: Small parts. Not for children under 3 years.
The Horror!!!

ajh1979

Distinguished
Oct 6, 2011
AS I say unfortunately I cant change the spec

Will the HD 6970 not be capable of playing wow cata on ultra if so i will have to re consider buying the system

Thanks

ajh1979

Distinguished
Oct 6, 2011
Hi Delroy,

Understood I know I should of explained myself better.

I will only be using the system for:

Light photo editing - nothing major
Microsoft Office 2010
Emails
Web Browsing
iTunes
Downloading Movies / Music
Streaming Downloads to my HDTV
Watching Blu Ray on HDTV
Burning DVD's & CD's

WoW Cata - This is for my son when he comes to stay with me he's addicted to this game and really wants to be able to play the game on Ultra setting with everything maxed out.

My friend who owns the company that has the PC told me that this system would "DESTROY" WoW Cata and chew it up and spit it out lol

Comments Appreciated

ajh1979

Distinguished
Oct 6, 2011
The other question I have:

My monitor has these iputs : D-Sub, DVI-D, HDMI
Which connection to my pc would give me the best image quality I woulkd guess to connect with DVI-D for greatest picture quality?

Advice appreciated

Oh and Emelth thanks for your reply thats what my friend told me he said that systme will "DESTROY" WoW on any settings with ease! :D

ajh1979

Distinguished
Oct 6, 2011
My son had mentioned a expansion of some sort not really sure.

Also not sure if it makes any difference but the HD 6970 GPU in the system is a ASUS EAH6970 which has a 50% voltage tweak for faster performance?

ajh1979

Distinguished
Oct 6, 2011
Hi Delroy

Now the monitor I can change as its totally seperate.

The reason I chose the LG IPS236V was due to the fantastic reviews it has all over the place I have not yet seen a bad review of this monitor it came in at 5/5 on digital versus and 10/10 on Pc Advisor only recently.

I could certainly buy a different one though should it make his gaming experience better

phyco126

Distinguished
Nov 6, 2011
What is the price of this computer? You said you are getting a good deal on it, but perhaps we can also verify whether or not you really are. :)

But to simply answer your question, yes, the computer is far more than what you'll actually need to max out WoW, or handle any of the things you will do on the computer. It'll suit you and your son well for quite some time, and when it no longer keeps up with the newest games, an upgrade will solve that problem. I'm running a C2D at 3.6 Ghz (OC'd XD) and a 8800 GT. My system is almost 4 years old, but it still chugs along at all those tasks (including video and photo editing). Honestly, all I need to update my PC is a new graphics card. It still does everything mighty fast. So this'll probably last you for several years easy.

ajh1979

Distinguished
Oct 6, 2011
Hi

Brilliant thank you for your replies.

Delroy im going to be using Photoshop for image editing

Phyco the price im buying the system for is £700 inc vat and it is brand new this come without a monitor the cost of the monitor (LG IPS236V) is £120 and I looked at a few but had decided on this one from all the fantastic reviews its had recently and for £120 I thought this was a bargain im not so bothered about having a huge display its more about the quality of the image dispalyed and this monitor looks good to me from what ive read.

Thanks for the advice

By the way would my best image be from connecting using the DVI-D input monitor to pc?

phyco126

Distinguished
Nov 6, 2011
Ajh, I am using a 24" Dell Ultrasharp U2412M monitor. Its an IPS panel like the LG you picked, and was given Toms Seal of Approval. Its a beautiful monitor. Honestly, I don't see the need for a 27" to really enjoy a game like that. The 23" is more than sufficient, and the 24" is comfortable for me. Ultimately, you'll have to go with what works for you and your son.

The price is actually very, very good me thinks. :) Buy that sucker, I really don't think you would regret it, especially for the price and performance you'll get out of her.

Emelth: I have a 24" Dell Ultrasharp U2412M at 1920 x 1200 resolution. Sporting the E8400 at 3.6 Ghz (stock cooling, I can run 24/7 at 4.05 Ghz on stock too, but I prefer to keep her at a mild clock), 8 GB of Kingston HyperX DDR2 at 1000 Mhz (MB doesn't like that much ram and therefore the rated 1066 Mhz is out of reach). An Evga 780i, and a single 8800 GT clocked to 700 | 1752 | 970 (I can go higher, but the dust in the fins makes it too hot, and I'm not gonna clean it quite yet). a 2 TB boot drive for Vista 64 Ultimate, a 320 GB boot drive for XP, and a 500 GB scratch disk/back-up drive with a redundant 320 GB external drive. Razer Lycosa, and philips 80W 2.0 speakers. Orbitz 8 MP webcam to boot. Only thing I upgraded on her since I built her back in March of 2008 was the RAM (from 3 GB @ 800 Mhz to 8 GB @ 1000 Mhz) and the 2 TB hard drive (cause I ran out of space on my old 500 GB Boot drive), and I went from a 19" LG monitor to the Dell.

I am hardcore on this thing. Video editing, photo-editing in photoshop, gaming, watching movies, and all the other little things people use computer for. I'm a heavy multitask-er, though while I normally don't go past 4.5 GB of RAM usage, I have maxed out all 8 Gigs while video editing.

I don't have any current pictures of her any more. You can see some crappy pictures here: http://www.modsrigs.com/detail.aspx?BuildID=7481

joshualong94

Distinguished
Oct 30, 2011

Hey,

That is close to my PC, you WILL be able to run on Ultra with high fps (40Fps on wow is perfect)

ajh1979

Distinguished
Oct 6, 2011
Hi Phyco

Please can you tell me what the speakers are that you use I will need to get a decent set of speakers.

Hi Josh thats brilliant ( I was hoping for 60 fps on ultra if im honest :( )

phyco126

Distinguished
Nov 6, 2011
Oh, I also forgot. The only difference between DVI and HDMI is that HDMI carries audio through it as well. For just sending the image to the monitor, DVI and HDMI are the same. Since the monitor you picked has no speakers, an HDMI cable is pointless to use (unless you already have a spare). Again, DVI will work just fine.

By the way, the LG monitor you picked out is a great monitor. I almost bought one myself, but then our monitor at work was upgraded to a 24" Dell UltraSharp with the 1920 x 1200 resolution. When the cheaper U2412M came out, I couldn't resist pulling the trigger. Had Dell not done that, or had work not upgraded my monitor, I would have gotten that LG. LG makes really good TVs and Monitors.

Emelth

Distinguished
Any set of speakers will work you dont need $100 set or anything like that a good $30 set will be good enough unless you want to go the extra mile I would say check out Bose speakers they are great for music