Sign in with
Your question

I5 2500k Gaming PC Build - Tight Budget

Last response: in Systems
November 9, 2011 10:20:33 AM

Afternoon All,

Looking for some advice on a few components on a computer rebuild (mostly new components), some parts I have decided on which I have been lucky enough to get for Christmas but others I need to purchase myself on a tight budget. Any help will greatly be appreciated.

Approximate Purchase Date: December

Budget Range: £200 - £250 for components that are left to be purchased which include CPU, PSU, CPU Fan/Compound, possibly sound card if budget allows

System Usage from Most to Least Important: Gaming, Movies/Music, Documents, Web Surfing

Parts Not Required: Case, Hard Drive, Monitor, Keyboard, Mouse, DVD Drive, Speakers.

Preferred Website(s) for Parts: scan.co.uk, ebuyer.com (other UK based sites welcome)

Country of Origin: United Kingdom

Parts Preferences: None

Overclocking: Yes

SLI or Crossfire: No

Monitor Resolution: 1920x1080

Parts Already Decided:

Motherboard - Asus p8z68-v lx - Present
CPU - Intel i5 2500k
GPU - MIS Radeon 6950 2GB - Present
RAM - Corsair Memory Vengeance Blue 8GB DDR3 1600 MHz - Present
HDD - Current 160GB 7200 drive (Due to market can't afford new until next year, will probably go down SSD route).
DVD - Current Drive.

Parts in need of Advice:

CPU Fan / Compound
PSU - My current one may do the trick but I am at work and can't offer make/model. I know it will be at least 550W.
Sound Card - Use 5.1 speakers and headset which sadly I need to get a new pair next year also as the Mrs stood on 'em.

As I mentioned above I need to purchase the CPU, CPU Fan/Compound, PSU and possibly a sound card if there is enough left of the £250. What would you advise to go with the above components and is this possible or naive with that budget or do I need to wait and save some more?

Thanks,
Mike.
November 9, 2011 10:39:49 AM

If you current 550W PSU is a quality unit it's going to be fine.

If you need "CPU, CPU Fan/Compound, PSU and possibly a sound card" for £250 I don't think that's going to happen. i5 +cooler can be had for £250 though
November 9, 2011 12:05:57 PM

You dont need a Sound Card unless your really want it most computers now of day have a good enough intergrated sound chip, just get some speakers that you like and it will do
Related resources
November 9, 2011 2:19:43 PM

Thanks for your replies. Fair enough point I am sure the on board sound card will do the trick for what I need looking at the spec on the asus website.

PJ - If I remember correctly I made sure to spend extra on a decent PSU on my last build so that may indeed be a saving, I'll check tonight.

For now looks like its just the CPU fan and thermal compound I will be needing suggestions for. I'd be hoping to OC to the 4.2-4.5GHz mark depending on how lucky I am with the chip so anything that will help towards that goal.
!