Multiple Monitor Set Up ?

5kywalk9

Distinguished
Sep 9, 2011
Okay, so I am a total newbie in this area, but I'm looking into connecting one or two extra monitors to my laptop (undecided how many at this point), simply so I can extend my screen space for when I work with recording software.

I've done a bit of reading, and I've found that additional monitors can be connected via VGA or HDMI, if I am correct. What I would like to know is, would this be possible to do with my laptop?

Full specs of my laptop here: http://newz-flash.blogspot.com/2011/04/sony-vaio-vpceb45fg-price-spec-photo.html

Would the ATI Mobility Radeon™ HD 5470 Graphics in my laptop work with this? Or would I need to add something via the ExpressCard slot?

If I chose to use two extra monitors (if it is possible), would I have to purchase something like a USB to VGA adapter like this one: http://www.elive.co.nz/digitus-usb-vga-adapter-dv3288.php ?

Or would I be able to connect one monitor via VGA and one via HDMI ?

I'm sorry if these are really basic questions, but as I say, I am a newbie in this area. Thanks very much in advance. :)

Solution

She never said anything about games..

I assume you mean audio recording not video?

The 5470 graphics card is not that powerful to begin with so it might struggle with 3 monitors doing anything more than normal web browsing/word processing/playing a video on one of the screens.
Also because of your video card I think the additional 2 monitors would be you limit.

Also about the adapter, I can't really say because it depends on how the ports are wired internally. You could always just try it without the adapter first then buy it later if it...

5kywalk9

Distinguished
Sep 9, 2011

What about running them at 1366 x 768 or another resolution?

5kywalk9

Distinguished
Sep 9, 2011

Ignoring the specs of my laptop now, as this is just for my own knowledge, but is it possible to run a monitor via VGA and another via HDMI simultaneously ?

5kywalk9

Distinguished
Sep 9, 2011

Okay, new word for me, but by "overkill" I assume you mean it will work fine?

legendkiller

Distinguished
Jun 19, 2011

no, i mean the Monitor will overkill your GPU... which also mean you cant do much(If you play games or 3D) than your GPU Wont handle it... Wonder why so many GPU or these 540m can barely handle 1920x1080(at games)... If you play games you wont be playing it at 1920x1080 with that GPU but probably browse and watch probably 720p video on 1920x1080 or at 1360x768...

Gamer-girl

Distinguished
May 29, 2010

She never said anything about games..

I assume you mean audio recording not video?

The 5470 graphics card is not that powerful to begin with so it might struggle with 3 monitors doing anything more than normal web browsing/word processing/playing a video on one of the screens.
Also because of your video card I think the additional 2 monitors would be you limit.

Also about the adapter, I can't really say because it depends on how the ports are wired internally. You could always just try it without the adapter first then buy it later if it doesn't work. The adapter also uses your CPU so your laptop will be slower overall with the additional 2 monitors+adapter.

Also if you haven't brought the monitors yet try one 22-23 inch 1920x1080 monitor with HDMI port it is a lot bigger than your laptop monitor.

Solution

nevertell

Distinguished
Oct 18, 2009
If you have the chance, just check and see whether your laptop supports 3 video outputs simultaneously (2 external, 1 for the internal).
http://www.notebookcheck.net/ATI-Mobility-Radeon-HD-5470.23698.0.html
It says there, that the GPU will do just fine.

AND IT WILL HAVE ENOUGH POWER TO DRIVE THE SCREENS. We're talking about video and office stuff, not games. It wouldn't be able to handle a single 1080p screen for gaming, even less for 3 such screens.

5kywalk9

Distinguished
Sep 9, 2011
Sweet, thanks for everyone's input. It all really helped.

I was in fact referring to audio recording software, as I have a separate desktop for gaming. :D

I think I might take my laptop in to the local computer shop and test it with some of the monitors they have there just to get an idea.

Thanks again, people. :)