Sign in with
Your question

New graphics card 6990 not working properly

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
September 12, 2011 1:56:32 AM

Hi guys this is my first post on a tech forum.

I recently put together a computer with the following parts.

RAM = Corsair 16GB ram (4x4)
CD/DVD/BR = Samsung SH-B123A Blu-ray Combo Drive
HDD = 2x Western Digital 500GB 7200rpm Serial ATA-III-600 HDD w. 32MB Cache
Proccessor = AMD Phenom II X6 1100T BE Hex Core (3.3GHz)
Motherboard = Gigabyte GA-880GMA-USB3 Motherboard
Graphics card = Radeon HD 4870 1GB
Power Supply = Corsair AX series 850W
Case = Antec Nine Hundred Two Version 3
SDD = Crucial M4 - 128GB

This set up has been up and running for a few weeks now and works fine.

A few days ago i got a Radeon HD 6990 to replace the 4870 but i haven't been able to get it to work.

I dont even get the BIOS to appear on screen

I have unplugged all extra hard drives and the Blu-ray as well as the case fans (temporarily as a test).

With this i was able to get a signal and the Radeon HD 6990 was recognized but it seemed to be performing poorly. eg when i went to Starcraft 2 the recommended settings the game suggested was medium (for 256MB cards)

I've since then put my computer back together as it was orignially with the 4870 but i would really like to be able to get my 6990 working.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated

Thanks
September 12, 2011 3:16:24 AM

Did you make sure the new drivers were working correctly?
m
l
September 12, 2011 3:19:37 AM

When installing new hardware i always remove old drivers, clear cmos, then install hardware then install latest drivers. (If needed re-apply overclocks)
m
l
Related resources
a c 143 U Graphics card
September 12, 2011 3:22:37 AM

ragenalien said:
Did you make sure the new drivers were working correctly?

m
l
a c 143 U Graphics card
September 12, 2011 3:23:06 AM

benikens said:
When installing new hardware i always remove old drivers, clear cmos, then install hardware then install latest drivers. (If needed re-apply overclocks)

m
l
a c 143 U Graphics card
September 12, 2011 3:28:33 AM

is the Bios switch set on 1 or 2 ? if it's set on 2 then you're overclocking the card and this will need higher wattage from your power supply.
m
l
a b U Graphics card
September 12, 2011 3:31:44 AM

Why are you talking about the bios ?? He's talking about the software on the OS here not on the hardware. Go to start--> control panel --> programs --> uninstall a program--> uninstall the NVIDIA or ATI drivers// Install the ones that were provided with the ATI 6990 and you should be good to go.

Also, if you have problems with the motherboard detection it's :
A) The GPU is poorly connected
B) The Motherboard bios needs to be flashed to the lasted version
C) The software drivers poorly installed (corrupted) or simply the settings are not correct and I suggest you visit the ATI website for troubleshooting.
m
l
a c 143 U Graphics card
September 12, 2011 3:35:04 AM

psyxix said:
Why are you talking about the bios ?? He's talking about the software on the OS here not on the hardware. Go to start--> control panel --> programs --> uninstall a program--> uninstall the NVIDIA or ATI drivers// Install the ones that were provided with the ATI 6990 and you should be good to go.

when he got the card, he couldn't be able to get a signal on the screen till he unplugged everything and finally got a signal....
m
l
September 12, 2011 3:38:18 AM

the bios switch should be on the default, i haven't even taken off the sticker yet.

it shouldn't be an issue of drivers as when i have everything plugged in i dont even get bios.

the only time i get anything on screen while the 6990 is plugged in is if i unplug alot of stuff such as fans and additional hdd's and even then it wasn't going at 100% as far as i could tell. (i had latest drivers from amd website)

m
l
September 12, 2011 3:41:49 AM

ilysaml said:
is the Bios switch set on 1 or 2 ? if it's set on 2 then you're overclocking the card and this will need higher wattage from your power supply.

"AMD labels the BIOS switch position one as 450W Extreme Perfromance BIOS and the position 2, which is the shipping position, as the 375W factory-supported Performance BIOS."

which position is OC?

mine should just be in the shipping position as i haven't touched it yet
m
l
a c 143 U Graphics card
September 12, 2011 3:44:57 AM

ashen-shugar said:
"AMD labels the BIOS switch position one as 450W Extreme Perfromance BIOS and the position 2, which is the shipping position, as the 375W factory-supported Performance BIOS."

which position is OC?

mine should just be in the shipping position as i haven't touched it yet

ok as long as you haven't touched it it's still on the default location, which means 375W provided, people out there get 1000W or 1200W to ensure stability.
try to get a higher wattage PSU for test and see what happens
m
l
September 12, 2011 3:48:51 AM

ilysaml said:
ok as long as you haven't touched it it's still on the default location, which means 375W provided, people out there get 1000W or 1200W to ensure stability.
try to get a higher wattage PSU for test and see what happens

does the 6990 really need a 1000+W for stability? when the min is 750W?
m
l
a b U Graphics card
September 12, 2011 3:55:35 AM

Ya seriously, check the PSU cause it seems it doesn't give enough juice to your whole system for it to work properly. Being a 850W power supply, this is highly unusual since it's quite enough for 1 6990. If you have your old card left, use it to test the rest of the system. If it works properly, you either have a PSU problem or a GPU plug problem. I vote for the latter. Take the 6990 and send it back for replacement.
m
l
a c 143 U Graphics card
September 12, 2011 3:56:17 AM

ashen-shugar said:
does the 6990 really need a 1000+W for stability? when the min is 750W?

let's assume you're hooking up more fans, overclocking CPU, additional RAM voltages , additional PCIe cards.... in this case you'll need a higher wattage PSU
sometimes online calculators sucks so don't take it as a reference, what really you should do is try to get a higher wattage PSU from a friend and see what happens, as i guess it's a PSU problem from the first case.
m
l
a c 143 U Graphics card
September 12, 2011 4:01:50 AM

don't get it replaced untill you're 100% sure it's a PSU problem, try to use the molex Adapters instead of the direct PCIe 6+2 pins, get only the CPU, GPU, 4 GB RAM, SSD to work only and run a game for a few hours and see if the problem still exist or not
m
l
September 12, 2011 4:20:07 AM

ilysaml said:
don't get it replaced untill you're 100% sure it's a PSU problem, try to use the molex Adapters instead of the direct PCIe 6+2 pins, get only the CPU, GPU, 4 GB RAM, SSD to work only and run a game for a few hours and see if the problem still exist or not

why would the molex adaptors work if the 6+2pins dont?
m
l
a c 143 U Graphics card
September 12, 2011 12:11:57 PM

just in case you've a failure or mis-plug with 6+2 pins
m
l
September 13, 2011 2:07:28 AM

I have the exact same power supply, it's actually under rated to what it can do, in one of the reviews i read on it they had it churning out ~980 watts without problem. It's a solid power supply and should handle that 6990, unless of course it's been damaged or something went wrong.

You need to isolate the problem, check your 6990 in a friends computer or another system and same with your PSU. Also un-plug everything except mobo/ram/cpu/graphics card/boot device, see if it works then.
m
l
!