Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question
Closed

Unsolvable case?

Last response: in Components
Share
February 9, 2012 1:50:52 PM

I have narrowed down my choice of case to two options, determined by their availability in my area.

I am having a really hard time deciding, as they both seem to offer similar features at a similar price point:

1. COOLER MASTER HAF 912
2. Thermaltake Dokker (I would probably go for the "lite" version, as I have no need for the docking station)

Here is the rest of my build so far:
Part list permalink / Part price breakdown by merchant

CPU: Intel Core i5-2500K 3.3GHz Quad-Core Processor ($199.99 @ NCIX US)
CPU Cooler: Corsair Hydro Series H60 74.4 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler ($63.24 @ Amazon)
Memory: Patriot Signature 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($36.99 @ Amazon)
Hard Drive: Samsung Spinpoint F3 500GB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($88.99 @ SuperBiiz)
Video Card: PowerColor Radeon HD 6870 1GB Video Card ($159.34 @ Compuvest)
Power Supply: OCZ 600W ATX12V / EPS12V Power Supply ($49.99 @ Microcenter)
Total: $598.54

Thanks in advance!

*I am outside the U.S., so if you suggest a different case, it's probably not going to be available to me.

More about : unsolvable case

a c 158 ) Power supply
February 9, 2012 2:00:17 PM

HAF 912 gets my vote.

CPU Cooler...I would go with air cooling over the H60. There are air coolers out there that cost less than the H60, cool better than the H80, and are more quiet than either. Thermalright Archon, Thermalright HR-02 Macho, Noctua NH-D14 to name a few. Great price/performance cooler right now Coolermaster Hyper 212+ EVO...good enough for a pretty high OC on the CPU your getting.

If you do end up getting the H60, then I would be prepared to replace the fans with something a bit more quiet....the stock fans are crap. I have an H80 and couldn't stand the noise.
Score
0
Related resources
a b ) Power supply
February 9, 2012 2:59:19 PM

I agree with the rest . go with haf . Everyone seems to like them as long as your good with the esthetics . I also agree to pass on the closed loop units ie. h80 . for the money the hyper212 evo ( $34.00 ) + approx $ 12.00 for xtra fan for push/pull your still at half the cost of the h80 with similar performance gains .
Score
0
February 9, 2012 4:31:44 PM

Rugger said:
HAF 912 gets my vote.

CPU Cooler...I would go with air cooling over the H60. There are air coolers out there that cost less than the H60, cool better than the H80, and are more quiet than either. Thermalright Archon, Thermalright HR-02 Macho, Noctua NH-D14 to name a few. Great price/performance cooler right now Coolermaster Hyper 212+ EVO...good enough for a pretty high OC on the CPU your getting.

If you do end up getting the H60, then I would be prepared to replace the fans with something a bit more quiet....the stock fans are crap. I have an H80 and couldn't stand the noise.


Hi, Rugger. Thanks for your input. Is there any reason why you would go for the HAF 912 over the Dokker?

Also, while I appreciate the advice in regards to the CPU cooler, I'm afraid I already have it :)  (got it for 50$ through a deal a while back).

On that note, however, I found some benchmarks that show it performs at least as well, if not better, than some top of the line air coolers:
http://hexus.net/tech/reviews/cooling/29609-corsair-hyd...

And, while I realize it is not the same cooler, vs the CM Hyper 212+:
http://www.overclock.net/t/1001181/i5-2500k-4-9ghz-cm-h...

Though I admit I am biased, as I would love to justify my purchase :) 
Score
0
February 9, 2012 4:45:10 PM



Those fans look pretty sweet, I will definitely look into them. I was planning to set up push/pull fans on the radiator and these seem great!

I see that there is a lot of support for the HAF 912! Aesthetics are not a big deal to me, so we're good on that note. However, I can't really discern any clear advantages besides it being more popular.

If I went with the HAF912, would you have any advice in regards to the fan setup to ensure optimal airflow?

Corsair recommends the radiator fans to be set as intake on the back, which means I will need an additional exhaust.

Do you think this would work?:
Rear (radiator) fans: 120mm intake (push/pull)
Front: 120mm intake
Top: 200mm (will it fit?) exhaust

Thanks, everyone, for your help. This would be my first build, so sorry if I am being verbose!
Score
0
a c 158 ) Power supply
February 9, 2012 4:59:44 PM

Rolos said:
Hi, Rugger. Thanks for your input. Is there any reason why you would go for the HAF 912 over the Dokker?

Also, while I appreciate the advice in regards to the CPU cooler, I'm afraid I already have it :)  (got it for 50$ through a deal a while back).

On that note, however, I found some benchmarks that show it performs at least as well, if not better, than some top of the line air coolers:
http://hexus.net/tech/reviews/cooling/29609-corsair-hyd...

And, while I realize it is not the same cooler, vs the CM Hyper 212+:
http://www.overclock.net/t/1001181/i5-2500k-4-9ghz-cm-h...

Though I admit I am biased, as I would love to justify my purchase :) 


$50 for the H60 makes it a better deal than $60. If you're in the US, like saving money, and like quiet fans, then consider getting Yate Loon D12SL-12 fans instead of the Cougars. You can get 4/$20 at Petra's http://www.petrastechshop.com/12yalod1cafa.html review: http://www.overclock3d.net/reviews/cases_cooling/yate_l...
They don't look as neat as the Cougars, but they are an awesome deal for the money. I don't know about you, but I don't tend to spend a lot of time looking in my case....I'm more likely to be paying attention to the game I'm playing.

As far as 912 vs Dokker...
1. I just like the aesthetics of 912 a little more and
2. I like the front panel ports to be on the upper portion of the PC instead of the middle. I place my PC on the floor and the top ports are easier to reach in that scenario.
Score
0
a c 158 ) Power supply
February 9, 2012 5:03:32 PM

Rolos said:
Corsair recommends the radiator fans to be set as intake on the back, which means I will need an additional exhaust.

Do you think this would work?:
Rear (radiator) fans: 120mm intake (push/pull)
Front: 120mm intake
Top: 200mm (will it fit?) exhaust

Thanks, everyone, for your help. This would be my first build, so sorry if I am being verbose!

That's exactly how I would set up the airflow if I had those parts. H60 intake, 200mm exhaust up top, and 120mm intake on front. If you got 4 of those Yate Loon fans, then you'd have an extra 120mm to add as intake for the GPU.

Edit: To clarify...the extra 120mm could be used as an intake on the side panel...blowing onto the GPU.
Score
0

Best solution

a b ) Power supply
February 10, 2012 2:01:43 AM

IMO, stick to one make of fans for everything. The HAF already has the fans put into an optimum air flow system. It's all set up the way one would want it to be.
The only thing you'll need to change is , either turn the HAF's rear exhaust fan around or then remove it and stick the Cougar there as an intake fan then the Corsair Rad and then the other Cougar..... that makes the Air flow being pulled over the Rad into the Case.....
The Top Fans are efficient enough as the exhaust since air rises faster as it is hotter....
Something like this

And the side panel should have the fan mounted on it to take air in again....


And of course you would have to have those 2 x 120mm Fans exhausting from the top. I think those are optional fans and don't come with the case....
Share
a b ) Power supply
February 10, 2012 2:08:44 AM

And yes, a 200mm fan will fit on the top of the HAF, but , I'd advise against it... use 2 x 120mm ones if you the H60 Rad pulling air into the case from the rear, use 2 fans for the top exhaust.
Score
0
February 10, 2012 12:48:56 PM

Thanks, everyone.

Looks like a 200mm fan will not fit as a top exhaust alongside the h60's radiator. This guy was only able to get 2 screws in http://www.overclock.net/t/1155295/my-first-case-mod-ha....

I think it might have room for a single 120mm at most, which makes me worry that I won't have enough exhaust points if I have air coming in from the front, rear and side. Although, the case looks porous enough to maybe handle the positive pressure. Do you think this might be an issue?

Maybe I should set the PSU facing up to act as another exhaust?


I am trying to find out if the Dokker can fit the whole setup, but not a single person on this earth seems to have this case :??:  .
Score
0
a b ) Power supply
February 10, 2012 1:08:46 PM

Yup, the 200mm will not fit onto the rad..... that is a problem.... but you'll be fine with 2 x 120mm Exhausts on top.
They will be good enough as the only exhausts there, you won't need additional exhausts.
No, the PSU should be left as it is, don't mess with that.
Score
0
February 15, 2012 12:14:37 PM

Thanks for all your advice.

I'm going to get the HAF 912 and I'm inclined to buy the Yate Loons. They apparently have great value.

You guys were really helpful!

Score
0
February 15, 2012 12:17:44 PM

Best answer selected by Rolos.
Score
0
a b ) Power supply
February 15, 2012 3:30:28 PM

This topic has been closed by Mousemonkey
Score
0
!