Should I trust these online Camera shopping?

Last response: in Digital Camera
April 20, 2005 5:08:03 PM

Hi
I just want to buy Pentax Pentax ist DS camera online.But I found
that the price in different online shop differ so much!!In A&M photo
world and digitalliquidators.com price is very low(about $569.00),but
in DELL or AMAZON price is about $200 above.I can not see any
difference of the product they provide? Why same products's price
differ so much?Should I trust these low price shopper??
Can you give me some advices?thanks a lot
http://www.digitalsaver.com/stores.asp?productid=18996#...
Anonymous
April 20, 2005 8:04:20 PM

On 20 Apr 2005 13:08:03 -0700, "biggeorge" <guming3d@etang.com> wrote:

>Hi
> I just want to buy Pentax Pentax ist DS camera online.But I found
>that the price in different online shop differ so much!!In A&M photo
>world and digitalliquidators.com price is very low(about $569.00),but
>in DELL or AMAZON price is about $200 above.I can not see any
>difference of the product they provide? Why same products's price
>differ so much?Should I trust these low price shopper??
> Can you give me some advices?thanks a lot
> http://www.digitalsaver.com/stores.asp?productid=18996#...

No, you can't trust them. The only thing you can trust them to do is
try to rip you off. Check them out at.

http://www.resellerratings.com/

A&M Photo has rating of 0.59 out of a possible 10.

Komesho Nonyati! as we cross the firing line!!

"Komesho Nonyati"
from "The Recces"
by Lourens Fourie
April 20, 2005 8:12:44 PM

On Wed, 20 Apr 2005 16:04:20 -0500, John A. Stovall
<johnastovall@earthlink.net> wrote:

>On 20 Apr 2005 13:08:03 -0700, "biggeorge" <guming3d@etang.com> wrote:
>
>>Hi
>> I just want to buy Pentax Pentax ist DS camera online.But I found
>>that the price in different online shop differ so much!!In A&M photo
>>world and digitalliquidators.com price is very low(about $569.00),but
>>in DELL or AMAZON price is about $200 above.I can not see any
>>difference of the product they provide? Why same products's price
>>differ so much?Should I trust these low price shopper??
>> Can you give me some advices?thanks a lot
>> http://www.digitalsaver.com/stores.asp?productid=18996#...
>
>No, you can't trust them. The only thing you can trust them to do is
>try to rip you off. Check them out at.
>
>http://www.resellerratings.com/
>
>A&M Photo has rating of 0.59 out of a possible 10.

Digitalliquidators beats A&M Photo. They have a 0.29 rating.
Anonymous
April 20, 2005 9:27:27 PM

Thanks a lot.I am very appreciate that you tell me the truth.I should
take a look for those trusted shopper.Do you guys have some advice for
which shopper is good and low price for digital camera?thanks again
April 20, 2005 10:48:45 PM

biggeorge wrote:
> Hi
> I just want to buy Pentax Pentax ist DS camera online.But I found
> that the price in different online shop differ so much!!In A&M photo
> world and digitalliquidators.com price is very low(about $569.00),but
> in DELL or AMAZON price is about $200 above.I can not see any
> difference of the product they provide? Why same products's price
> differ so much?Should I trust these low price shopper??
> Can you give me some advices?thanks a lot
> http://www.digitalsaver.com/stores.asp?productid=18996#...

I wouldn't trust those thieves to take my dirty tissues to the can out back.

--
jer
email reply - I am not a 'ten'

On 20 Apr 2005 17:27:27 -0700, "biggeorge" <guming3d@etang.com> wrote:

>Thanks a lot.I am very appreciate that you tell me the truth.I should
>take a look for those trusted shopper.Do you guys have some advice for
>which shopper is good and low price for digital camera?thanks again

Trust and low don't go together. But I buy from B&H. Amazon is good
and can have some good deals at times.

I would rather pay a little more and know I have a firm which stands
behind that they sell and I've found that to be the case with B&H.
I'm getting a Canon 24-70 F2.8L from them when they are back from
Passover. I would not make such a purchase from any other online
dealer.

Take a look at them.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/controller/home?

-James Nachtwey-
http://www.jamesnachtwey.com/
April 21, 2005 5:56:26 AM

The difference is between shops that put real prices on the web and those
that put up fake prices and then screw you.

--
http://www.chapelhillnoir.com
home of The Camera-ist's Manifesto

"biggeorge" <guming3d@etang.com> wrote in message
> Hi
> I just want to buy Pentax Pentax ist DS camera online.But I found
> that the price in different online shop differ so much!!In A&M photo
> world and digitalliquidators.com price is very low(about $569.00),but
> in DELL or AMAZON price is about $200 above.I can not see any
> difference of the product they provide? Why same products's price
> differ so much?Should I trust these low price shopper??
> Can you give me some advices?thanks a lot
> http://www.digitalsaver.com/stores.asp?productid=18996#...

Anonymous
April 21, 2005 12:52:45 PM

I had a lot of trouble finding a place to order from. B&H was
mentioned here as was www.17photo.com. I bought from 17photo and had
the camera in a few days, no troubles.
--
Scott Streeter
ss@wpi.edu

Scott Streeter wrote:
> I had a lot of trouble finding a place to order from. B&H was
> mentioned here as was www.17photo.com. I bought from 17photo and had
> the camera in a few days, no troubles.

I've had excellent experiences with buydig.com. Their rating is pretty
high, but to be sure not everyone who has dealt with them was happy. I
recently purchased a Nikon 8800 over the internet for $725 delivered. I
had it in three days, with no phone calls or any glitches. I had a
similar experience buying a DVD recorder a few months ago. Their prices
are quite low. I've never talked to them on the phone, though. As
always, see resellerrattings.

Joe
------------ And now a word from our sponsor ----------------------
For a quality mail server, try SurgeMail, easy to install,
fast, efficient and reliable. Run a million users on a standard
PC running NT or Unix without running out of power, use the best!
---- See http://netwinsite.com/sponsor/sponsor_surgemail.htm ----
Anonymous
April 22, 2005 11:55:40 AM

biggeorge <guming3d@etang.com> wrote:
: Hi
: I just want to buy Pentax Pentax ist DS camera online.But I found
: that the price in different online shop differ so much!!In A&M photo
: world and digitalliquidators.com price is very low(about $569.00),but
: in DELL or AMAZON price is about $200 above.I can not see any
: difference of the product they provide? Why same products's price
: differ so much?Should I trust these low price shopper??
: Can you give me some advices?thanks a lot

That $200 difference is between US and non-US prices. Pentax cameras are
imported to the US and have to pay a duty. But if the camera is being sold
outside the US this duty is removed. But when you do a search for the
camera on line you get BOTH cameras listed. My own experience (over 6
months of a runaround from 4 different sellers) shows that they will take
your order and it will go on (permanent) backorder. They are legally
unable to ship an overseas version camera to an inside US address. The
camera is the same, but the duty is the whole difference. The only way I
finally got my camera was when I was talking to a customer serv rep at one
more shop, and asked if there was any chance that I would ever actually
get this camera. The rep spouted off that if "you" (meaning those of us
who search for good deals on the internet) would only order from the
correct page you would get the item right away. I suprized him by telling
him, if that's the whole problem, what's your price for the RIGHT camera.
He told me the price and 3 days later I had my Pentax *ist-DS in my hot
little hands.

The export only pages do not spell out that they are export only. So I
suggest that you do the price research on line, but make all orders by
phone where you can ask if this camera can be shipped to a US address.
This will save you a lot of headaches.

Randy

==========
Randy Berbaum
Champaign, IL
Anonymous
April 22, 2005 5:41:29 PM

I shudder when I heard the word "liquidators." <shudder> Common sense
tells me that what they offer in lower cost has to be made up
somewhere else. The cameras might not have a USA warranty, which can
be a major pain if service is necessary. Perhaps it is a refurbished
unit, or the UPC code is missing from the box. I"ve heard horror
stories of people turning on their new cameras and not recognizing the
displayed language, though I can't verify such stories as true.
Sometimes lower prices may mean missing items that you'll end up
paying for, but should have been there in the first place (and would
have from a respectable store). Lower prices might mean hours arguing
with a sales rep. about a return you need to make, or having them give
you the hard sell routine. I tend to shy away from the little guys
and shop at big online sites like amazon.com or buy.com. I may pay a
bit more now, but I know my chances of receiving what I expect and
having minimum hassles if I need to return something or have it
serviced, is worth the money I save on aspirin.

On 20 Apr 2005 13:08:03 -0700, "biggeorge" <guming3d@etang.com> wrote:

>Hi
> I just want to buy Pentax Pentax ist DS camera online.But I found
>that the price in different online shop differ so much!!In A&M photo
>world and digitalliquidators.com price is very low(about $569.00),but
>in DELL or AMAZON price is about $200 above.I can not see any
>difference of the product they provide? Why same products's price
>differ so much?Should I trust these low price shopper??
> Can you give me some advices?thanks a lot
> http://www.digitalsaver.com/stores.asp?productid=18996#...
Anonymous
April 23, 2005 12:36:59 AM

Hi Randy Berbaum
you also got an Pentax *ist-DS??Where did you buy this camera?How
much is it ?Thanks
Anonymous
April 23, 2005 8:39:11 AM

biggeorge <guming3d@etang.com> wrote:
: Hi Randy Berbaum
: you also got an Pentax *ist-DS??

Yep. And I am REALLY enjoying it. I have had it for several months and
still feel like I am exploring the possibilities of a "new toy". Each day
I seem to think of (or hear of) something else to try with it. Some things
i want to play with will have to wait until the proper timing (Fireworks
are hard to shoot around here, outside of the 4th). :)

: Where did you buy this camera?

Believe it or not, I am not totally sure at the moment. All the paperwork
from the transaction is in storage, and at one time I was dealing with 5
different sellers in an attempt to find one that would ship what I wanted.
So you will understand that I have tried to blank out the entire
frustrating episode. :)

: How much is it ?

The prices of this camera are so dynamic that what I payed a few months
ago will have absolutely NOTHING to do with todays prices. In fact the
"best price" for today will most likely not be true tomorrow. But if you
do a search for "ist-ds" and throw out the highest and lowest prices (the
first are overpriced and the second are likely to be bait of some type)
you will find that most of the prices fall into a fairly narrow range. If
you find that there is a definate split of about $200 between two groups
of prices for the same item (body only or with lens, etc.) you are
probably looking at a import vs export price split.

Just my opinion.

Randy

Randy Berbaum
Champaign, IL