Sign in with
Your question

PC power calculator

Last response: in Components
February 9, 2012 3:45:35 PM

Hello!

I'm still trying to figure out which PSU to get for my upcoming PC? I used a handful of different power consumption calculators and the results vary between 450W-650W. That's a rather big gap, in my opinion. Do you know any reliable power consumption calculators or other ways to measure power consumption?

Cheers!
-Monaro

More about : power calculator

a c 158 ) Power supply
February 9, 2012 4:18:10 PM

All of the PSU calculators are pretty inflated. What are your system specs? Intending on overclocking the CPU and/or the GPU? Do you intend to SLI/CF your system now or want that as a potential upgrade option?
Related resources
Can't find your answer ? Ask !
February 9, 2012 4:24:27 PM

Rugger said:
All of the PSU calculators are pretty inflated. What are your system specs? Intending on overclocking the CPU and/or the GPU? Do you intend to SLI/CF your system now or want that as a potential upgrade option?

I linked my specs in my previous post. I'm most probably not going to OC nor SLI/CF now or in the future. But plans might always change. If the requirement won't go up that much, potential upgrade option would always be nice.
a c 158 ) Power supply
February 9, 2012 4:30:11 PM

A good quality 500W PSU will easily run that rig. Seasonic, XFX, Corsair, Antec, Silverstone are all quality PSU mfrs. The links in my signature below has a list of recommended PSUs as well as a PSU guide. If you want us to evaluate specific PSUs you find then please post them.
a c 1167 ) Power supply
February 9, 2012 4:30:39 PM

For a system using a single GeForce GTX 560 Ti graphics card NVIDIA specifies a minimum of a 500 Watt or greater power supply that has a combined +12 Volt continuous current rating of 30 Amps or greater and that has at least two 6-pin PCI Express supplementary power connectors.

For a system using two GeForce GTX 560 Ti graphics cards in 2-way SLI mode NVIDIA specifies a minimum of a 700 Watt or greater power supply that has a combined +12 Volt continuous current rating of 50 Amps or greater and that has at least four 6-pin PCI Express supplementary power connectors.

Total Power Supply Wattage is NOT a crucial factor in power supply selection!!! Total Continuous Amperage Available on the +12V Rail(s) is the most important.
a c 158 ) Power supply
February 10, 2012 11:38:59 AM

I don't think CF or SLI are economical from a price-to-performance perspective and don't recommend it. However, I know that other people use this type of setup or want to plan that type of expansion into their system. The addition of another graphics card significantly impacts the amount of power a system will draw while at full load, therefore before I recommend a PSU I ask if CF/SLI needs to be factored into the sizing equation. :) 
!