BIOS chip burned?

seriousninja

Honorable
Dec 13, 2012
Hello,

I have a Gigabyte Z68XP UD4 motherboard, and after trying to update the BIOS with the @BIOS utility from gigabyte (dumb idea I now know).

My PC win7 doesn't boot -> at the screen at boot up that says: loading operation system it doesn't finishes and it crashes.

But there is the weird thing I tried another win8 disk I have and it boots (I am posting this from my PC running win8)!!!

What has happened?
My BIOS chip is burned and win8 don't need the traditional BIOS?
Or my motherboard might be OK and somehow the win7 disk wont boot because of bios change.

Regards
Vangelis

sneak_stealth

Honorable
Dec 13, 2012
If your BIOS chip was bad or corrupt in any way chances are the machine would not even boot at all. The problem with Windows is very likely an issue with the image. If it boots into Windows 8 it's not the BIOS I recommend reinstalling the OS (back up your data first)

COLGeek

Cybernaut
When you updated the BIOS, the SATA mode was likely changed and now the system is having trouble booting.

Power the system on. Enter the BIOS. Set the SATA mode (IDE, AHCI, or RAID) per your original configuration. If you aren't sure what it was, using IDE is sort of the default base setting. Using it should work unless you had a RAID installed.

Good luck!