Sign in with
Your question
Closed

3D Vision Problems

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
September 12, 2011 6:30:43 AM

Hi, I am having a problem enabling 3D Vision on my PC. I have done everything right in setting it up, but I recieve the error message "Warning: Attempt to run Stereoscopic 3D in a non-stereo display mode, please change to an acceptable mode. See documentation for acceptable Stereoscopic 3D modes".

I have narrowed the problem down to my display settings.
- I am using dual NVIDIA GeForce GTX 560's
- I have a 23" Asus LCD 3D ready monitor.

Now, the problem is I cannot seem to change the screen refresh rate from 60hz to 120hz, which is needed to run in 3D. I suppose my question would be, how exactly can I change the screen refresh rate if I don't have an option to do so? My monitor is able to run in 120hz, and I'm pretty sure the GTX 560's are able to follow suit, so what how can I fix this?

I'm not very computer savy, so if I haven't provided enough information please tell me what you need.

More about : vision problems

Related resources
August 21, 2012 4:03:25 PM

Resoving this problem (in my case at least) is a simple matter of making sure the viewing window is full screen. This applies to the nVidia setup OSD (on screen display) as well as to any viewer you subsequently use to view 3D programming. I believe the nVidia setup OSD opens by default to whatever size was last used (though I am not positive this is the case). Regardless, it is imperative when configuring stereoscopic 3D Vision you ensure it covers the entire desktop in its maximized size (not any intermediate-sized window) to avoid this annoying warning message. Do not forget, the same applies when viewing 3D programming – MAXIMIZE the viewing window.
Score
a b U Graphics card
August 21, 2012 4:08:46 PM

Are you using a dual link DVI cable? You will need to be if you are trying to run 1920x1080 at 120hz.
Score
August 21, 2012 4:46:14 PM

benski said:
Are you using a dual link DVI cable? You will need to be if you are trying to run 1920x1080 at 120hz.

I am using an HDMI cable connected from my Acer H5360 to my GT430's DVI port through an HDMI/DVI adapter, and running at 720p (1280x720) 120Hz - the Acer's max native res/refresh. Quite possibly, there are numerous reasons why the warning message may appear, but in my case it was simply a matter of the window not being maximized. I can't speak to issues regarding higher resolutions than I use in my own system.

FYI, my reason for using the DVI port is twofold: 1) in order to hear DTS-HD and Dolby Tru-HD from my Denon AVR, I must send the audio from the GT240 via HDMI (not SP/DIF, from the MB's onboard audio port). Unfortunately, the Denon amp does not pass through the Acer's EDID when it's connected through the Denon, so 3D Vision doesn't know it's conected to an authorized projector and won't work. Therefore I connect the Acer to the GT430's DVI port and the Denon to the HDMI port; and, 2) I have a second viewing station in another room (my virtual cockpit). In order to get audio to that location w/o need of a separate audio cable, I use HDMI (via the Denon). The Denon plays no active role in this case, it just passes on the A/V to the remote monitor. That monitor is not 3D so the EDID makes no matter as far as that goes.
Score
a c 216 U Graphics card
August 21, 2012 4:51:28 PM

@datdarndot - are you slyboxer, or are you hijacking this thread?

I see you resurrected a year old thread. I'd advice making a new post. Hijacking and resurrecting old posts are frowned upon.
Score
August 21, 2012 5:20:13 PM

bystander said:
@datdarndot - are you slyboxer, or are you hijacking this thread?

I see you resurrected a year old thread. I'd advice making a new post. Hijacking and resurrecting old posts are frowned upon.

I must confess, I am not aware of the concept of "hijacking" a thread, nor does that seem an appropriate description. My search for a solution to my own current problem led me to this thread (and to many more, in other forums). Many of them (including this one) originated quite some time ago, but none offered the resolution I evetually discovered on my own. I thought it therefore useful to update this thread, and others elsewhere.

I see no point in encouraging discontinuity by disallowing the updating of "mature" threads, particularly since such threads are quite often the most prominent hits when using search engines. That's how I ended up in this theard. What's the point in creating a new thread, when that topic already has a thread - particularly if that thread has no satisfactory resolution? Doing so, only proliferates the number of fallow threads on the same topic.

In any case, if we're going to give a name to adding information which is absolutely pertinent to the subject of an existing thread, I'd suggest "hitchiking" is a much closer term than "hijacking". I'm not diverting from the original topic, I'm simply joining the conversation.
Score
a c 216 U Graphics card
August 21, 2012 5:43:11 PM

The point is, you can get banned for doing so on this forum site. Nothing else really matters at this point. It is also very confusing for those trying to help. I read the thread up to your post, and all of it was worthless information to have read, and had me rather confused until I realized it was someone else posting.
Score
a c 271 U Graphics card
August 21, 2012 5:56:01 PM

This topic has been closed by Mousemonkey
Score
!