ianmason

Distinguished
Jan 7, 2008
Hi all,

I have just upgraded my Asus U46SV from an i5 2410m to an i7 2760qm. I have been performing a number of benchmarks and all of them seem to be coming out low. One thing I have noticed is when all cores are stressed using Prime 95 instead of it running at 2.4GHz (100 x 24) it runs at 2.1GHz (100 x 21). The turbo boost seems to work ok when one core is stressed but its really doing my head in.

HELP!

What were your previous scores (and with what), and what do you get now?

Your GPU in that laptop is quite weak BTW.

Your laptop also seems to be smallish - 14". Does it seem to get really hot with your new chip?

In your task manager in performance tab - do you see 4 "CPUS" or do you see 8 "CPUS"?

ianmason

Distinguished
Jan 7, 2008
Hi, Thanks for replying.

The GPU is fine, I can play most games at high to ultra (no AA) as the resolution is 1366x768. if anything it seems cooler than before, might be because I used AS 5 thermal compound which is better than the stock crap they had on before

All 4 cores are working correctly with Hyperthreading showing 8 cores. I saw on two system building sites (Xoticpc.com and Gentechpc.com) that they offer the U46SV with a multitude of processors all the way up to the 55w 2960XM so took the plunge.

So whats the problem? Your new processor probably won't be able to do much more than your old one as programs still don't really take advantage of more than 4 cores.

For video editing - encoding depending on the program you might see an advantage with your 4 core + 4 thread CPU (for 8 threads).

Everything else will probably be about the same.

That would confirm to me you did your homework on compatibility.
But I can't think of anything (except maybe a needed BIOS update) that's covers your symptoms.

ianmason

Distinguished
Jan 7, 2008
Problem is scores for 3dmark11 (1026), pcmark11 (3801), and passmark (2067) are all well below what comparable systems should be.

I use Premier Pro and Photoshop a lot so want it to be performing at its peak with my 8Gb Ram and Force 3 SSD. Temps are fine, top out at about 75C and I have the latest BIOS from Asus. Damn its frustrating. I'm someone who has to make sure everything is running as it should be. I even re installed windows!!!

the chances are that the thermal limits of the old cpu's hsf have been reached causing your new cpu to throttle. its only worth upgrading a laptops cpu is the new chip doesn't run as hot as the old. why? because laptops are built to specific tolerances for heat dissipation... thats why most lappys tend to slow down to a crawl after 6 months or so as the accumulate dust, causing them to throttle... there are some thing that you can do to help this...
1) use higher quality paste, good paste can enable faster transfer of heat leading to lower overall temps... thus bringing the new cpu in line with the old for heat dissipation.
2) try to fit a compatible higher tolerance heatsync for the new chip... you may get lucky and find theres enough space to fit a larger 1.
3)if you can go into bios and reduce the voltages a little on the new cpu. with luck it will lower temps to withing the hsf's thermal envelope while maintaining stability.

ianmason

Distinguished
Jan 7, 2008
Thanks for all the replies guys. Its not a heat issue as even when its "cold" 35C and I hit start on prime (8 threads) it instantly goes to 2.1GHz and it should default to 2.4GHz. Turbo boost seems to work fine as it jumps up and down to 3.5GHz. HW Monitor on shows a peak consumption of just under 30w so I presume the laptop is limiting the voltage somewhere....Modded BIOS anyone?

Alright try these as well in addition to hexic's and WR2 reccomendations:

http://www.intel.com/support/detect.htm

Download the latest INF drivers by using the detect, you have the HM65 Express chipset. If it finds a new INF - install it.

Is your BIOS up to date?

http://support.asus.com/Download.aspx?SLanguage=en&m=U46SV&p=3&s=342

In your BIOS - does your BIOS have the options for Turbo boost? For example - mine has "normal" and "turbo" options. Try the other one if it does.

For your RAM, is it 1 stick, or 2 sticks (this can possibly be important)?

ianmason

Distinguished
Jan 7, 2008

Thanks Chainzsaw,

All drivers are up to date and BIOS is latest 203 version. There are zero options to modify anything to do with the processor in the BIOS bar Intel AT and Virtulization both of which I've tried on and off. I do have 2 4Gb sticks of Ram though...

I've emailed the custom PC vendors I mentioned earlier that offer this laptop with high end i7s to see if they either know about an issue like this or 'Hopefully' have a fix in the form of a BIOS or software mod.

Your all stars! :bounce:

One last thing...most likely won't work though, and you have to be willing to try it out.

Not sure how hard it is to take apart your laptop, but have you tried taking out the CMOS battery for a good 1/2 hour? You would have to take out the laptop lithium ion battery first, then hold down your power button for 15 seconds to drain any risidual power.