Is my old psu good enough for my to-be-updated rig?

4dvz

Distinguished
Nov 6, 2011
My rig has been working flawlessy with the following setup:

e6600 core 2 duo 2x 2.4ghz
p5n-e sli motherboard
1x Hard drive dont remember the details
Gtx 460 1gb (was 8800gts 640mb earlier)
4gb ddr2
1x dvd drive

Psu: http://www.arest.pl/produkt/4855/CHIEFTEC-GPS-400AA-101A-400-W/wlasciwosci

Now I`m about to buy:
i5 2500k 3.3ghz processor
Asus P8P67 B3 Intel P67 motherboard
8gb ddr3 ram

So, do I really need a new power source? Do you think there`s any risks involved in continuing with my psu that has served well for 4 years?

beenthere

Distinguished
If you want to objectively, accurately and scientifically determine what PSU power is required for your Vid card and PC in both watts and 12v rail amps., the forum Utility link below will show you how easy it is to calculate this information and objectively determine which PSUs are quality built, reliable PSUs that can meet your needs. Be advised that the available 12v rail amps. is just as important as the total PSU wattage. You need both to be correct.

http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/314712-28-please-read-determine-power-required

4dvz

Distinguished
Nov 6, 2011
Thank you for the help. Really useful link beenthere! It recommended 12v rails to have 40v combined, I only have 29.. so I`m a bit short there. I quess that in W it all comes down to how much more power will i5 require combined to e6600, and googling about it I found out that e6600 eats quite a lot power, seemingly more than i5 if I got everything right, which is good news for me.

Glad to know it can`t cause any damage to my pc Inzone, that`s what I was worried about because of the age of my psu.. I`m actually already over-exceeding my budget with those components I`m buying so with all the info I got I might try out the new build with my old psu and buy a new one if I start getting bluescreens and such.

Shallowmist

Distinguished
Nov 7, 2011
I would advise you to buy at least 460W they aren't that expensive and you have less chance of it blowing up (while playing crysis like it did with me years ago) That's why since than i always calculate how much power i need and buy a supply at least 100W above the top border of how much the computer can use. So i advice you for 460W to 520W

SS, his old PSU has been running his 460.

One of my systems has an OC'd Q9550, 4 GB RAM, a GTX260 - a card with slightly higer power requirements than a 440, a Gigabyte EP45-UD3P motherboard, 3 hard drives and an optical, and a Soundblaster card all powered by a Corsair 750TX.

Running 3 instances of Prime95 to load the CPU and 3DMark06 to load the GPU, it pulls 375 watts from the wall as measured by my Kill-a-Watt meter. Figuring 80% PSU efficiency, the system pulls 300 watts from the PSU.

The old 400 watt PSU should work, but you are going to spend a fair amount of money on new components. I would upgrade to a better quality PSU in the 500 watt size.