Computer only booting with 2 sticks of ram

Lportable

Distinguished
Nov 9, 2011
Hello,
Ive recently built my first computer and it wont turn on if i have a stick of ram in either of the left slots i think that the motherboard may be faulty because ive tried different combinations of ram in different slots the motherboard im using is Gigabyte Z68A-D3H-B3 LGA1155 Intel Z68 DDR3 ATX and the ram is 4 sticks Corsair Memory 8GB (2 x 4GB) Vengeance DDR3 1866MHz DIMM 240-pin CL9 Red

beenthere

Distinguished
Run Memtest86+ on each DIMM and with two DIMMs installed. If they test good, then I'd e-mail both Gigabyte and Corsair Tech Support as you may need a mobo BIOS update. It's possible the SPD default boot settings on the RAM may not work with your mobo with (4) DIMMs installed as the mobo tried to boot at the default CPU/RAM frequency.

Lportable

Distinguished
Nov 9, 2011
ok ill try that but im pretty sure thats not it if i have any Ram in the 2 left slots it wont boot even if i have only 2 sticks of ram plugged in 1 on a left slot the other on one of the right slots it wont boot

Lportable

Distinguished
Nov 9, 2011
k i tried that and update the bios yet it still wont turn on if theres ram in the 2 left slots and now theres no video anyone know anything else it might be?

vx53c

Distinguished
Aug 25, 2009
this board has mighty weak power phase design. I have encountered such problems in the past. check ram-mobo incompatibility in your manual see if it supports overclocked memory in all 4 slots.
the fact that you are encountering problems might not lie in hardware error, just a very common example of how having a short and a long leg can affect your system.

Lportable

Distinguished
Nov 9, 2011
the manual doesnt mention anything about that ive emailed gigabyte customer support asking for help with this so hopefully theyll help me resolve this