My memory is being drained Majorly!!!! Help!!!!!!!

G

i recently upgraded my system
Duron 800
Gigabyte 7Zm
128 megs of pc-133
it all works
but..
As sooon as i get into windows
i check my memory under my video card properties or benchmark tools, it says total mem 130,000 something
free: 40,000 if i open icq, or winamp it drops to 20,000
open adobe, and front page 0k free my sys resources will then drop slowly to like 20~30% thats not normal,
even after closing adobe, front page winamp only have icq open only icq, i only have like 17 megs free
what is draining it so much, i am currently in windows me,
and prior i sued windows 98 same thing. My old pc had 64 megs of ram and i could have tons tons tons of stuff open and never bogg down
Why is this?

G

What os were you running on your old sys?, Win98 and especially WinMe are very resource hungry systems and will grab most anything going, I have been running 98 for a long time and dont have much trouble with it(As much as you have with any Ms o/s)

G

I was running 98 always and never any problems
none with memory anyway
i also did run win2k-2000 not me
but now with my new sys i tried 98 and me same issue
very weird
i just checked now i used control alt and delete to make sure whats open ,k icq and 1 ie window
6 megs free from, 130.. .....??
strange?

G

Do you only have the 1 module of 128 mbs?
If you have more than 1 are they the same type ( sd133) and have the same number of black chips on them?
I run 384 mbs ( 3 x 128 mb mods) and windows me ( i used to run se) and my system resources are always 76% or higher.
usually 84 to 96 %.
It was exactly the same with se though so i dont think that its the os unless you have a bad install ,ie: missing drivers or files etc..
Im surely no expert, just an end user like you but thought this info might be a little helpfull.
perhaps others running me with 128 mbs or more could reply and help with the big picture.
good luck.

Ncogneto

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
Download a program with an easy to use startup manager ( I use winbench) disable all the bells an whistles of ME ( ie. system restore, pc health, stae manager,) and any other programs you do not want running resident. ( If you want to know what loads up uop boot up hit control alt delete after you boot and see what you have running). this will free up some resources, however you are at the bottom of what I recomend any win me machine to run with Ram wise, memoy is so cheap right now get yourself another 128 meg and sleep better!

A little bit of knowledge is a dangerous thing!