Unsupported CPU detected

johncatman

Distinguished
Jul 13, 2011
Hello, after installing my new AMD Phenom II X4 925 that was said to be FULLY COMPATIBLE by a Trusted member of this forum is now giving me an unsupported cpu message when I boot :fou:. My computer is:

Pavilion P6130f
Product Number : NY463AA#ABA.
BIOS Version 62.77.2f.00.06
Chipset Model nForce 720a
Chipset Revision A2
Southbridge Vendor NVIDIA
Southbridge Model ID075C
Southbridge Revision A2
BIOS
Brand American Megatrends Inc.
Version 5.16

Please Help :(, thanks

Solution
Also HP has a bad track record of releasing brick bios's especially with older LGA 775 socket boards or amd boards. Believe me i bricked one of my computers after downloading an update that allows booting off of USB keyboards instead of PS/2 and after the update was "successful" it no longer booted with video. After reading up on it i guess 50% of the people also experienced bricks from the update. Read before you update and you will have less issues, remember bios updates you should only do if you absolutely need to. Otherwise leave it be.

johncatman

Distinguished
Jul 13, 2011

I don't believe so, I just honestly don't wanna try to cram the old (and bent) cpu back in the slot :p, is there any other way?

johncatman

Distinguished
Jul 13, 2011

Can you provide a download link, because all I found was:

This

"2010-07-21 , Version:5.22, 1.66M
MR1-860146 Motherboard BIOS update resolves an issue with the system hanging and displaying a blank screen after a restart."

johncatman

Distinguished
Jul 13, 2011

No, I just unbent it, and it should work :), its just going to be a huge pain to put my cpu fan back on after xD, also how do I do what you said?

Windows 7 64bit

johncatman

Distinguished
Jul 13, 2011

It says "You must have a Microsoft Windows Vista operating system." can I just do it anyways on windows 7? And should I just get the old cpu back in to proceed?

johncatman

Distinguished
Jul 13, 2011

I really don't want to go out and buy another cpu :(, are you sure I can't do that other bios upgrade I linked to, it didn't say windows vista only.

I think you need more expertise than I have.
Right now Im limited to what I can find out with Google and that mish-mash with the 3 different M2N78-LA boards is making it tougher to sort out than it should be.

I'm thinking it would be a good idea to punt this over to the HP support forums.
And try and find other M2N78-LA owners that had upgraded and use the BIOS and CPUs that they have successfully used.

mightymaxio

Distinguished
Nov 9, 2009
Sounds like you could've bricked your BIOS, i would recommend reading up on HP's website if they have a way to recover from a bad BIOS flash otherwise you might be SOL. This whole problem seems to be with HP propitiatory hardware which would lead me to conclude you should contact HP about it and maybe its covered under warranty?

johncatman

Distinguished
Jul 13, 2011

Why would they release a bios update that bricks a computer :fou:, also no warranty left.

mightymaxio

Distinguished
Nov 9, 2009
Also HP has a bad track record of releasing brick bios's especially with older LGA 775 socket boards or amd boards. Believe me i bricked one of my computers after downloading an update that allows booting off of USB keyboards instead of PS/2 and after the update was "successful" it no longer booted with video. After reading up on it i guess 50% of the people also experienced bricks from the update. Read before you update and you will have less issues, remember bios updates you should only do if you absolutely need to. Otherwise leave it be.

Solution