Solved

Unsupported CPU detected

Hello, after installing my new AMD Phenom II X4 925 that was said to be FULLY COMPATIBLE by a Trusted member of this forum is now giving me an unsupported cpu message when I boot :fou:. My computer is:

Pavilion P6130f
Product Number : NY463AA#ABA.
BIOS Version 62.77.2f.00.06
Chipset Model nForce 720a
Chipset Revision A2
Southbridge Vendor NVIDIA
Southbridge Model ID075C
Southbridge Revision A2
BIOS
Brand American Megatrends Inc.
Version 5.16

Please Help :(, thanks
25 answers Last reply Best Answer
More about unsupported detected
  1. Hello johncatman;

    Is that the latest available BIOS version?
  2. WR2 said:
    Hello johncatman;

    Is that the latest available BIOS version?


    I don't believe so, I just honestly don't wanna try to cram the old (and bent) cpu back in the slot :P, is there any other way?
  3. Motherboard Specifications, M2N78-LA (Violet) includes the official HP CPU support list.

    Looks like version 5.29 dated 2009-07-10 is the latest available.
    It maybe that a later BIOS ver brought more CPU options than listed in the CPU support list.
  4. I don't suppose you can borrow a CPU that's supported by the current BIOS?
    You need a working computer (of course) to do the update before you add in new CPUs.
  5. If you trashed your old CPU, probably not. You can flash the BIOS without booting into the OS, but you'll need a functional CPU to do it.
  6. What version of Windows are you running?
    Im seeing some reports of errors when trying to do BIOS updates to ver 5.29 for people not using Vista.
  7. WR2 said:
    Motherboard Specifications, M2N78-LA (Violet) includes the official HP CPU support list.

    Looks like version 5.29 dated 2009-07-10 is the latest available.
    It maybe that a later BIOS ver brought more CPU options than listed in the CPU support list.


    Can you provide a download link, because all I found was:

    This

    "2010-07-21 , Version:5.22, 1.66M
    MR1-860146 Motherboard BIOS update resolves an issue with the system hanging and displaying a blank screen after a restart."
  8. willard said:
    If you trashed your old CPU, probably not. You can flash the BIOS without booting into the OS, but you'll need a functional CPU to do it.


    No, I just unbent it, and it should work :), its just going to be a huge pain to put my cpu fan back on after xD, also how do I do what you said?

    WR2 said:
    What version of Windows are you running?
    Im seeing some reports of errors when trying to do BIOS updates to ver 5.29 for people not using Vista.


    Windows 7 64bit
  9. Version 5.29

    Im guessing HP likes to keep people in the dark and make things difficult. Looks like there are (at least) 3 versions of M2N78-LA.
    M2N78-LA (Violet) / M2N78-LA (Violet3) / M2N78-LA (Violet6)
  10. WR2 said:
    Version 5.29

    Im guessing HP likes to keep people in the dark and make things difficult. Looks like there are (at least) 3 versions of M2N78-LA.
    M2N78-LA (Violet) / M2N78-LA (Violet3) / M2N78-LA (Violet6)


    It says "You must have a Microsoft Windows Vista operating system." can I just do it anyways on windows 7? And should I just get the old cpu back in to proceed?
  11. The errors I mentioned were from people without a Vista installed, so Ver 5.29 looks to be a 'no-go' for you.

    ATM I'm trying to figure out what is the best CPU has been successfully installed in the basic M2N78-LA (Violet).
  12. WR2 said:
    The errors I mentioned were from people without a Vista installed, so Ver 5.29 looks to be a 'no-go' for you.

    ATM I'm trying to figure out what is the best CPU has been successfully installed in the basic M2N78-LA (Violet).


    I really don't want to go out and buy another cpu :(, are you sure I can't do that other bios upgrade I linked to, it didn't say windows vista only.
  13. I think you need more expertise than I have.
    Right now Im limited to what I can find out with Google and that mish-mash with the 3 different M2N78-LA boards is making it tougher to sort out than it should be.

    I'm thinking it would be a good idea to punt this over to the HP support forums.
    And try and find other M2N78-LA owners that had upgraded and use the BIOS and CPUs that they have successfully used.
  14. I think I should just do the bios upgrade I found that doesn't have compatibly issues, what do you think?
  15. -Edit-
    Got it boot, trying the upgrade now :D
  16. Oh no, it appears to be hanging at the bios update :(, the animation is playing, so its not frozen. But it appears to be stuck? What should I do? (I am in safe mode)
  17. It appears I broke my BIOS because now it doesn't boot :(
    Great Another Problem :fou:

    New Thread For This Problem
  18. Sounds like you could've bricked your BIOS, i would recommend reading up on HP's website if they have a way to recover from a bad BIOS flash otherwise you might be SOL. This whole problem seems to be with HP propitiatory hardware which would lead me to conclude you should contact HP about it and maybe its covered under warranty?
  19. mightymaxio said:
    Sounds like you could've bricked your BIOS, i would recommend reading up on HP's website if they have a way to recover from a bad BIOS flash otherwise you might be SOL. This whole problem seems to be with HP propitiatory hardware which would lead me to conclude you should contact HP about it and maybe its covered under warranty?


    Why would they release a bios update that bricks a computer :fou:, also no warranty left.
  20. how long did you leave the bios update running before it "froze"?
  21. Best answer
    Also HP has a bad track record of releasing brick bios's especially with older LGA 775 socket boards or amd boards. Believe me i bricked one of my computers after downloading an update that allows booting off of USB keyboards instead of PS/2 and after the update was "successful" it no longer booted with video. After reading up on it i guess 50% of the people also experienced bricks from the update. Read before you update and you will have less issues, remember bios updates you should only do if you absolutely need to. Otherwise leave it be.
  22. Sounds like your motherboard is down for the count. Failed BIOS updates are often impossible to recover from.
  23. Whats a replacement this motherboard that is compatible
  24. Bought a new mobo, Close Please :).
  25. Best answer selected by johncatman.
Ask a new question

Read More

CPUs Chipsets Southbridge Product