Recommend digital camera

I'm looking to buy a digital camera for under $300. I'm currently using
a Olympus D-340L 1.3 megapixel. Overall this has been a pretty good
camera but I can't print out pics over 4 x 6 on my photo printer
because they come out grainy. So, I think I need a higher megapixel
camera. Also would like something that I can get closeups of jewelry.
Any suggestions?

thanks!

Andy
http://www.neoglassic.com
5 answers Last reply
More about recommend digital camera

    <neoglassic@peak.org> wrote in message
    > I'm looking to buy a digital camera for under $300. I'm currently using
    > a Olympus D-340L 1.3 megapixel. Overall this has been a pretty good
    > camera but I can't print out pics over 4 x 6 on my photo printer
    > because they come out grainy. So, I think I need a higher megapixel
    > camera. Also would like something that I can get closeups of jewelry.
    > Any suggestions?

    Some of the Nikons have great macro capabilities. One example:
    http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/nikoncp4800/

    neoglassic@peak.org wrote:

    >I'm looking to buy a digital camera for under $300. I'm currently using
    >a Olympus D-340L 1.3 megapixel. Overall this has been a pretty good
    >camera but I can't print out pics over 4 x 6 on my photo printer
    >because they come out grainy. So, I think I need a higher megapixel
    >camera. Also would like something that I can get closeups of jewelry.
    >Any suggestions?
    >
    >thanks!
    >
    >Andy
    >http://www.neoglassic.com

    Hi,
    Since you have Oly how about C5050 or C5060.
    I have C5060 and like it a lot.
    Good luck,
    Tony

    Hmmm, I had a D-340L and have an old 460, both about the same megapix,
    and have always, with a little tweaking in an imaging program, been
    able to get good 4x6 photos. Try taking them to a drug store or other
    location that does prints.

    As to your question, I would strongly urge you consider the OLY 5060 or
    7070.
    They have superb optics, very fine macro capabilities and will provide
    prints at just about any size you would ever want. I have a 5060 and
    have done jewelry very successfully with it as part of a semi-pro
    protography business. You should be able to get a 5060 for an excellent
    price (one little bit of advice, either buy it with a premium credit
    card or purchase an Oly extended warranty -- some production runs have
    had a mode dial problem that can appear at about 13 months, a good time
    to have Oly go over your camera anyhow). And, you can easily add
    conversion lenses that will give you enormous breadth and reach. IF you
    really want to step up consider the E-300 dslr. It's a moose by
    comparison, but it will put you in a whole new world.

    An advantage of the Olys is that you will be somewhat familiar with the
    menu system.

    Good luck.

    In article <1114032379.447245.292330@o13g2000cwo.googlegroups.com>,
    neoglassic@peak.org writes

    > So, I think I need a higher megapixel
    >camera. Also would like something that I can get closeups of jewelry.
    >Any suggestions?

    I have this Fuji model and the close-up / macro is one very impressive
    aspect:

    http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=48534&item=750984
    8299&rd=1&ssPageName=WDVW

    The 7000 replaced it:

    http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=50532&item=750924
    0990&rd=1

    http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=50532&item=750924
    1187&rd=1

    --
    Alan ............

    neoglassic@peak.org wrote:

    > I'm looking to buy a digital camera for under $300. I'm currently using
    > a Olympus D-340L 1.3 megapixel. Overall this has been a pretty good
    > camera but I can't print out pics over 4 x 6 on my photo printer
    > because they come out grainy. So, I think I need a higher megapixel
    > camera. Also would like something that I can get closeups of jewelry.
    > Any suggestions?
    >
    > thanks!
    >
    > Andy
    > http://www.neoglassic.com

    I picked up a Fuji F440 with a 256mb xD card for 30,000 yen (US$285) a
    month ago. Great macro, 4 megapixel and 3x optical zoom.

Photo Cameras