Sign in with
Your question

PSU Voltage Low

Last response: in Components
February 9, 2012 9:58:42 PM

I have a Dell Xps 700 and I have bought Intel Motherboard 955X Express chipset BTX ( D955XCSLKR ) for it. I have the mobo installed with all the original xps hardware and still cannot get it to come on, nothing on the screen no bios. I have removed all parts and I am down to it being either the cpu or the psu. I have tested the psu with a multimeter and it is showing that everything is about 1v lower than it should be. So my 12V are at 11v and the 5v are at 4 and so on. I am wandering is this the problem.

More about : psu voltage low

a b ) Power supply
February 9, 2012 10:36:08 PM

If you are measuring 4V on the 5V rail then this is definitely you problem, the 11V on the 12V rail would not stop your computer from working. Are you sure that you are measuring the 5V rail correctly and that your multimeter is good?
a c 243 ) Power supply
February 9, 2012 10:46:00 PM

tater2321 said:
I have a Dell Xps 700 and I have bought Intel Motherboard 955X Express chipset BTX ( D955XCSLKR ) for it. I have the mobo installed with all the original xps hardware and still cannot get it to come on, nothing on the screen no bios. I have removed all parts and I am down to it being either the cpu or the psu. I have tested the psu with a multimeter and it is showing that everything is about 1v lower than it should be. So my 12V are at 11v and the 5v are at 4 and so on. I am wandering is this the problem.

Including the proprietary power supply ?
There's your problem
Related resources
February 9, 2012 11:11:35 PM

Millimeter is good (just bought it today) and I am measuring them all correctly. I have taking the crazy proprietary power and wired the two 12v and two ground into a 2x2. Then connected it to the adapter that came with my mobo. Still getting 11v out of it. And the 24 pin works with the mobo. When turned on all hard drives, fans, and dvd startup. But getting nothing from CPU.
a c 243 ) Power supply
February 9, 2012 11:44:11 PM

tater2321 said:
Millimeter is good (just bought it today) and I am measuring them all correctly. I have taking the crazy proprietary power and wired the two 12v and two ground into a 2x2. Then connected it to the adapter that came with my mobo. Still getting 11v out of it. And the 24 pin works with the mobo. When turned on all hard drives, fans, and dvd startup. But getting nothing from CPU.

OK then, smarter than average ;) 
Volts are low, but don't seem low enough to keep you from posting.
Is the cpu known to be good ?

Here's my 955XCS with a pair of 8800's , powered by a modified Dell 375w

February 10, 2012 1:15:16 AM

I dunno if cpu is good....got the whole system as a gift, trying to getting it working so I can use it as a server. Whats a good way to test cpu?
February 10, 2012 1:36:44 AM

Furthermore now that I think of it, I think it is the CPU, since I am getting no beeps from the mobo to tell me that there is no memory installed.
a b ) Power supply
February 10, 2012 2:47:40 AM

delluser1 said:
OK then, smarter than average ;) 
Volts are low, but don't seem low enough to keep you from posting.
Is the cpu known to be good ?

Here's my 955XCS with a pair of 8800's , powered by a modified Dell 375w

]http://i1081.photobucket.com/albums/j351/contrvlr/th_SDC10374.jpg

A pair of 8800's on a 375W Dell PSU? I knew those Dell PSUs were made very well, but thats insane! Nice job!
a b ) Power supply
February 10, 2012 9:35:59 AM

The minimum voltage on the 5V rail is 4.75V any less than this and the computer will NOT work.
a c 243 ) Power supply
February 10, 2012 10:02:51 AM

Deemo13 said:
A pair of 8800's on a 375W Dell PSU? I knew those Dell PSUs were made very well, but thats insane! Nice job!

Definitely not something I reccomend, just wanted to see how long it would take to let the smoke out.
Lasted for around 4 weeks of abuse.
February 10, 2012 4:10:16 PM

Just went a head and bought a new CPU...going to see what happens. If it does not work I have a psu I can mod and then try that. Thanks for all the help.
February 19, 2012 4:00:19 AM

So I reset everything on the computer, and then ended hooking every little thing up I could to the mobo and finally it worked. The mobo came with a front panel conector and when I hooked it all up it worked. Now I am up and running. Thanks for the help.
!