Sign in with
Your question

HELP! new pc, crashing with lines or black screen while sound working!

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
September 12, 2011 2:32:33 PM

I assembled a desktop 3 days ago. The config is:

motherboard: ASUS|M5A97 970 AM3+ SB950 R
CPU: AMD|PHENOM II X6 1075T 3.0G AM3 RT
Graphics Card: XFX|HD-679X-ZRFC HD6790 1G R
(note. this is not the dual fan Radeon 6790 from XFX, instead it has a single fan and only one 6 pin pci-e power port unlike other 6790's!.. here is the link to it..http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E1681...)
RAM: Patriot Viper II Sector 7 3x2GB 2000Mhz PC3-16000
PSU(came with chassis): COMPUCASE - Orion Xpower585 585W
HDD: Seagate 1.5TB 5900rpm sata

I started playing warcrat III dota as soon as I got it running. It worked fine in the beginning. After a while when I am loading a game it started giving black screen and won't take any keyboard gesture. But the sound would keep playing! And i would have to reset. Now it does this more frequently and even when i am not playing at all. Sometime its a black screen and sometimes its shaded red lines or grey lines or just yellow. And sometimes the sound after a bit

I installed hwmonitor, GPU-Z, CPU-Z, all the temperetures are below 50 degree all time, although i have to check the cpu temperature again. My RAM is only running at 1066Mhz. I have the updated driver for the graphics, I'll try reinstalling the drivers today. Please help!! Nothing seems to work so far, I tried changing RAM timing, and then brought it back to auto. I also took out the graphics card and installed it back again! Took out the power chord from my optical drive in an attempt to reduce load on PSU (if its an issue). :$.. HELP!!
September 12, 2011 3:59:37 PM

I would start with the PSU. Sorry to say, but that one probably isn't putting out any where it is rated. Swapping with a known good PSU would help isolate the problem.
m
l
September 12, 2011 5:49:15 PM

COLGeek said:
I would start with the PSU. Sorry to say, but that one probably isn't putting out any where it is rated. Swapping with a known good PSU would help isolate the problem.

lets see if i can get the psu tested by the hardware stores before buying one.. that would be nice.. if possible
m
l
Related resources
September 12, 2011 5:51:10 PM

COLGeek said:

but i'm not really sure how this relates to psu though.. do you know any software that might give me a real time wattage value of my psu!?
m
l
September 12, 2011 5:57:14 PM

There is no software method to test PSU hardware. It requires specialized testing devices. To answer your other question, flaky power will cause components, particularly GPUs to do odd things. You are describing classic power/heat symptoms. Since your temps are okay, power is the most logical area to consider.

When you put your GPU under stress (like during gaming), it requires more power (as does your CPU). If the PSU can't keep up with the demands, symptoms such as yours pop up.

The easiest way to check is a simple swap. You can get a very good PSU for $50-60 if you look.
m
l
September 12, 2011 6:03:21 PM

COLGeek said:
There is no software method to test PSU hardware. It requires specialized testing devices. To answer your other question, flaky power will cause components, particularly GPUs to do odd things. You are describing classic power/heat symptoms. Since your temps are okay, power is the most logical area to consider.

When you put your GPU under stress (like during gaming), it requires more power (as does your CPU). If the PSU can't keep up with the demands, symptoms such as yours pop up.

The easiest way to check is a simple swap. You can get a very good PSU for $50-60 if you look.

any idea if the Corsair cmpsu 600cx 600W any good?
m
l
September 12, 2011 10:57:25 PM

UPDATE: 1. I forgot to mention, i have been using an HDMI cable to connect to my monitor all the time.
2.*** so i have been doing some experiment, and i have found out that my computer crashes twice as fast when i have the speakers plugged in.. weird, i know.. i timed the crashes 4 times.. twice without sounds, twice with sound.. each of the time with the speakers plugged in the comp crashed in 6 minutes and without speakers plugged in 12 minutes!! approximately around the same time :S:S:S:S:S:S:S!!!
m
l
September 13, 2011 12:03:08 AM

trickled said:
UPDATE: 1. I forgot to mention, i have been using an HDMI cable to connect to my monitor all the time.
2.*** so i have been doing some experiment, and i have found out that my computer crashes twice as fast when i have the speakers plugged in.. weird, i know.. i timed the crashes 4 times.. twice without sounds, twice with sound.. each of the time with the speakers plugged in the comp crashed in 6 minutes and without speakers plugged in 12 minutes!! approximately around the same time :S:S:S:S:S:S:S!!!

Have you tried reloading your video and HDMI drivers?
m
l
September 13, 2011 1:44:52 PM

COLGeek said:
Have you tried reloading your video and HDMI drivers?

Yeap, tried that last night. Didn't help.

Do you think reinstalling the OS might change anything?!?! :S I tried restoring it to a point towards the beginning when i just set my pc up. I'm confused why it was working fine in the beginning and slowly the crash times became shorter and shorter!!
m
l
September 13, 2011 1:51:13 PM

You know, you are describing what might be a grounding problem. Are your speakers powered? Or, are you using speakers built into the monitor?

Also, if you started the system in safe mode, how long will it run?
m
l
September 13, 2011 2:01:36 PM

COLGeek said:
You know, you are describing what might be a grounding problem. Are your speakers powered? Or, are you using speakers built into the monitor?

Also, if you started the system in safe mode, how long will it run?

heyyyyyy!!! really?!? :$.. ok, i bought a dell monitor last month, and it was flickering like crazy! so after a lottttt of searching someone told me its a grounding issue and asked me to take off the ground pin from the 3 pin connector for the monitor.. and so i did,, and it solved the problem!! so i have that monitor connected to the pc now!!

ok, i'll go home and connect a 3 pin connector again, and see whats happening! and i haven't tried running on safe mode for long, i'll try that too. but the problem is the desktop fails quickly when i'm playing warcraft, otherwise it took about an hour to fail without playing games.

oh, and my speakers are powered, 2 pins.

any other suggestion to try?
m
l
September 13, 2011 2:07:44 PM

Removing the grounding plug from the power cord is NEVER a good idea. More likely than not, the issue is with your PC and not the monitor given the issues you are having.

I recommend you disassemble your new rig and make sure you don't have any bad contacts being made somewhere.

If your monitor has speakers, try connecting to those, vice your external speakers to see if something changes. That would help confirm the possible ground issue.
m
l
September 13, 2011 2:31:27 PM

COLGeek said:
Removing the grounding plug from the power cord is NEVER a good idea. More likely than not, the issue is with your PC and not the monitor given the issues you are having.

I recommend you disassemble your new rig and make sure you don't have any bad contacts being made somewhere.

If your monitor has speakers, try connecting to those, vice your external speakers to see if something changes. That would help confirm the possible ground issue.

i will go by testing with a grounded monitor first and then if it's not solved i'll disassemble the PC and test it again. But what do you mean when you say 'bad contacts'? what am i to look for?

and my desktop does crash even if the speakers aren't connected at all.
m
l
September 13, 2011 2:35:09 PM

lol, and i'll remember not to take off the grounding pin! :$
m
l
September 13, 2011 3:50:49 PM

trickled said:
i will go by testing with a grounded monitor first and then if it's not solved i'll disassemble the PC and test it again. But what do you mean when you say 'bad contacts'? what am i to look for?

and my desktop does crash even if the speakers aren't connected at all.

You are looking for metal on metal contact where none should be, like with stand-offs or pinched cables. Pay close attention to the ATX (aka I/O) Plate and how it makes contact with your case and the motherboard.
m
l
September 15, 2011 2:49:36 AM

YAYYYY, fixed it.. it was a ram issue... the timing and that 1T 2T thing had to be perfect... it was just the entire combination.. the 4 timing and the last thing and the volt!! everytime before the combination i tried were wrong
m
l
September 15, 2011 2:50:29 AM

now how do i put this as solved?
m
l
September 18, 2011 4:26:03 PM

trickled said:
YAYYYY, fixed it.. it was a ram issue... the timing and that 1T 2T thing had to be perfect... it was just the entire combination.. the 4 timing and the last thing and the volt!! everytime before the combination i tried were wrong

Hi I am having a similar issue with the same card. I simply removed it and am using the hd 3000 built into my i3 2105. No crashed so far. Crashed a bunch with the xfx 6790 installed. Could you detail what your fix was? Sorry but your description is vague for someone with my limited experience. =)
m
l
September 18, 2011 4:27:07 PM

Is not crashing so far. "No crashed so far" ?? More coffee please..
m
l
September 18, 2011 5:17:04 PM

You have the wrong ram for an AMD set up. RAM: Patriot Viper II Sector 7 3x2GB 2000Mhz PC3-16000. AMD is duel channel not Triple Channel. So you need 2 sticks or 4 sticks not 3.
m
l
September 18, 2011 8:37:41 PM

trickled said:
now how do i put this as solved?

Just select a "best answer" and you'll be good to go. Have fun!
m
l
September 19, 2011 3:10:58 PM

sawyrick said:
Hi I am having a similar issue with the same card. I simply removed it and am using the hd 3000 built into my i3 2105. No crashed so far. Crashed a bunch with the xfx 6790 installed. Could you detail what your fix was? Sorry but your description is vague for someone with my limited experience. =)

Hi Sawyrick,

If the crashes seem exactly same as mine. Well, all i had to do was fix the ram timings. For your ram they are 7-7-7-18. check the manual to see which timings each of those refer to, for me it was simply the first four options in the 'BIOS dram timing'. So yeah, go to your BIOS, go to DRAM timings, and make the appropriate timings 7-7-7-18. Your Volt rating is 1.5, which should be there by defualt, but still check incase. And there was one more timing value i had to change, i don't remember where i found it for my ram. But for my ram it said it had to be 3T, it was the last option in my BIOS DRAM timing page, but my motherboard only support upto 2T, so i put it at 2T. Rest of the timings I left them as it is! And voila, no more crashes for me since i last posted here.
m
l
September 19, 2011 3:35:55 PM

saint7269 said:
You have the wrong ram for an AMD set up. RAM: Patriot Viper II Sector 7 3x2GB 2000Mhz PC3-16000. AMD is duel channel not Triple Channel. So you need 2 sticks or 4 sticks not 3.

hmmm, never knew this before.. but yeah, just checked, you are actually right.. but i'm wondering why i am still getting the full 6gb showing up in my config/cpu-z/hwmonitor.. :S

i got the most badass deal on those rams from amazon, so couldn't resist buying them!
m
l
September 19, 2011 3:39:48 PM

trickled said:
hmmm, never knew this before.. but yeah, just checked, you are actually right.. but i'm wondering why i am still getting the full 6gb showing up in my config/cpu-z/hwmonitor.. :S

i got the most badass deal on those rams from amazon, so couldn't resist buying them!

Seeing 6GB and using dual channe are 2 completely different things. You installed 3 sticks of memory and your rig sees them all, but most likely in single-channel mode. Really not a big deal.

Regarding the manual config of memory, were you always running a manual config or were they originally set to AUTO or DEFAULT in the BIOS when you were having trouble?
m
l
September 19, 2011 3:50:39 PM

COLGeek said:
Seeing 6GB and using dual channe are 2 completely different things. You installed 3 sticks of memory and your rig sees them all, but most likely in single-channel mode. Really not a big deal.

Regarding the manual config of memory, were you always running a manual config or were they originally set to AUTO or DEFAULT in the BIOS when you were having trouble?

well, i kind of messed around with everything.. auto, then i set to timings specified in the ram package, then some other timings given in the asus support, a lot of stuff.. i forgot my current config.. i'll have to go home and check.. i think its the one given in asus motherboard support (compatible rams) for a different model of PATRIOT rams which has the exact same specification as mine (2000mhz 3x2gb).. 8-8-8-24 and 1.65V and that 2T thing i found somewhere else :S... while on the other hand, patriot recommends my model of ram to be at 9-11-9-27.. but i'm not exactly sure what i'm running on right now.. i can confirm at night if you want.
m
l
September 19, 2011 3:57:08 PM

Not really a big deal if you have the system running stable. However, for the majority of users, letting your mobo and memory synch timings with AUTO is usually the best option.

As you have experienced, a simple tweak can result in all sorts of odd results.

Also, I always discourage any sort of memory overclocking. The resultant "gain" is often out-weighed by a lack of stability. OCing memory results in miniscule gains in performance compared to CPU and GPU overclocking.

Lots of opinions regarding this general topic. For me, stability always trumps performance gains via OCing.
m
l
!